Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times

Advertisements

I have a very short list of athletes I actually "hate." Those that have done enough on the field, or said, or blogged things that have make me truly disdain them. Roy Williams is one of them. And now he is a Bear. F M L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I can't answer the latter two questions, but the Bears traded Greg Olsen because the current offensive scheme calls for a TE who can at least block a grade schooler, let alone a DE or cornerback. I'm sad to see him go, but I can't believe they couldn't do better than a 3rd round draft pick.
I'm with you Drover. I hate the move, Olsen was far, far from perfect, BUT I thought he did enough to warrant more than what we got in return.

I will say, though, that I don't think this is a move that will completely screw the Bears over, I just would not have made it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Heard Jay Cutler is getting married? No hard feelings; some of us Bronco fans would like to buy him/her something.

Where is he registered?

Maybe Bloomingfails?

Or how bout... Target... on his back?

L&H to you and yours Jay. Keep countin' them carbs and congrats.
So much for that.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I'm with you Drover. I hate the move, Olsen was far, far from perfect, BUT I thought he did enough to warrant more than what we got in return.

I will say, though, that I don't think this is a move that will completely screw the Bears over, I just would not have made it.
He has great hands and he can go up and pick balls out of the air that most defensive backs can't get to. But after thinking about it, how useful is he really? He doesn't have the speed to be WR and he doesn't have blocking ability to be a versatile TE. Every time he lines up at TE, you effectively signal to the defense that you're not running the ball to that side. His best feature is a 5-7 yard backup dump-off when a QB is being rushed and has to get rid of the ball -- made necessary in a few cases because Olsen himself missed a blocking assignment.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
I can't answer the latter two questions, but the Bears traded Greg Olsen because the current offensive scheme calls for a TE who can at least block a grade schooler, let alone a DE or cornerback. I'm sad to see him go, but I can't believe they couldn't do better than a 3rd round draft pick.
Correct. Mike Martz's version of the Air Coryell offense is rather unique in that he uses his tight ends almost exclusively as blockers. Kinda funny when you consider that Jason Witten, Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark all play in Air Coryell offenses as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
We traded Greg Olsen why?
The Bears traded Greg Olsen because he did not fit their offensive scheme and was not a good blocker. However, I still believe this trade was a mistake because in my opinion he was their best wide receiver and he played tight end.

Quote:
We signed Roy Williams why?
The Bears needed another wide receiver, mainly a large receiver. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bears went after Braylon Edwards, which would have made a more sense to me. I have not heard any news about Braylon Edwards to Chicago, its just my own thought.

Quote:
We did not sign Sidney Rice why?
Honestly, I think the Bears will be better off without him. I believe Sidney Rice could potentially have "one year wonder" written all over him.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Panthers fan thanking you very much for Olsen at a good price.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Such a brutal start to the season, coming out of the first three weeks with 1 win would leave me VERY happy, but 0-3 seems very possible

Hoping for 1-2, 2-1 would be a very nice surprise and 3-0, well I'm buying my super bowl flight now.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Such a brutal start to the season, coming out of the first three weeks with 1 win would leave me VERY happy, but 0-3 seems very possible

Hoping for 1-2, 2-1 would be a very nice surprise and 3-0, well I'm buying my super bowl flight now.
I don't put a lot of stock in pre-season results. Only thing I'd say is that Hanie needs to develop more situational awareness if he's going to be a reliable backup. Hopefully they'll actually get to keep Briggs for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, the same experts who predicted they wouldn't go .500 last season even as they were one interception away from a trip to the Super Bowl are predicting the same thing this season. At least they aren't picking the Viqueens to win the division this year.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I don't put a lot of stock in pre-season results. Only thing I'd say is that Hanie needs to develop more situational awareness if he's going to be a reliable backup. Hopefully they'll actually get to keep Briggs for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, the same experts who predicted they wouldn't go .500 last season even as they were one interception away from a trip to the Super Bowl are predicting the same thing this season. At least they aren't picking the Viqueens to win the division this year.
I don't see Briggs going anywhere and Im sure he will play just as hard as always. I admit, I was pretty down on him when this story first broke, but I think in his interviews he articulated his position rather well. Still seems greedy - but slightly more understandable.

Yeah, I see 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 from every single person out there. It just basically means they have no idea what to expect and don't have the stones to predict one way or the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football