U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 PM

888 posts, read 1,343,884 times

Advertisements

Who is (or was) your favorite INTERIOR defensive lineman. This would include Nose Tackles in the 3-4 and Tackles/Under Tackles in the 4-3.

My vote goes to Warren Sapp. He had 16.5 sacks in 99' or 2000' from the Under Tackle position. He was the NFL defensive player of the year and won a super bowl. He is in the top 5 in all time sacks. He used to completely take over a game even drawing the double team.

Who's your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
There are so many good ones from the past (I'm assuming you are talking the past as Warren retired and BTW does a great job on" Inside the NFL", which moved to Showtime after being on HBO for many years). Beings as I'm the resident geezer on the sports forum, I'm going to list guys from the 70's and before. There will be plenty of input on current and recently retired D-linemen from other posters. My vote goes to Rosie Grier of the New York Giants/Los Angeles Rams, Merlin Olsen of the Los Angeles Rams, Bob Lilly of the Dallas Cowboys, Deacon Jones of the Los Angeles Rams, Alan Page of the Minnesota Vikings/Chicago Bears, Alex Karras of the Detroit Lions, Art Donovan of the Baltimore Colts, Eugene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb of the Baltimore Colts/Pittsburgh Steelers, Joe Rutgens of the Washington Redskins, and Leo Nomellini of the San Francico 49ers. TOLD YOU I WAS OLD!! I will list players from the American Football League/American Football Conference later tonight, Got a couple interesting stories on a couple of the guys I listed I think you posters would get a kick out of!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:00 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,879,146 times
I was a fan of Howie Long on the nose. Being partial to the Vikings, Kevin Williams is my current jersey...Keith Millard was also quite good. Without saying Eller, Page, Marshall, Larsen/Sutherland were idols.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM

23,644 posts, read 33,439,851 times
All-time: Mean Joe Greene
Right now: John Henderson

Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 AM

3,746 posts, read 8,690,755 times
Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, and of course Warren Sapp

Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 249,128 times
You could list DT's till your blue in the face but comparing past football play with today's studs it's really apples & oranges because the speed of the game, strength & size of players and doubles with the laundry flying everytime you bump a QB a nano-second after the release and look close and there is a hold in one way or another on every snap, it's getting harder to get to the QB so sacks from the interior is now only back's missed assingments or holding the ball a little too long. But of course everyone knows the current, most explosive, strongest DT is Albert Haynesworth!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM

143 posts, read 388,135 times
Haynesworth is good, but he only plays well in contract years (he was franchised to get two good years out of him).

Warren Sapp was the best 3 technique ever. Shaun Rogers has been an absolute beast for the Browns lately, Kris Jenkins has been dominating as well.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,659,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamman View Post
Haynesworth is good, but he only plays well in contract years (he was franchised to get two good years out of him).

Warren Sapp was the best 3 technique ever. Shaun Rogers has been an absolute beast for the Browns lately, Kris Jenkins has been dominating as well.
Franchise / contract year or not, Haynesworth is the best tackle this year by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or