U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
840 posts, read 755,754 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And I don't want to hear about San Diego Chargers moving-PERIOD!! Why? Nice trip on I-70 to I-15, and then 15 all the way to San Diego. Get down to San Diego, get the motel, get a cab, and then have the cabbie drop me off at Anthony's Grotto off the harbor. Sea food to DIE for!! YESS!!!! Get hauled in with a wheelchair, get hauled out with a wheelbarrow!

Saturday-go to San Diego flea market near the sports arena and spend money on CD"S!! Last time I was there I bought a handful of 'em cheap. Saturday afternoon go to Junior Seau's sports bar and knock down a few toddies! Call cab, back to room for 3 o'clock nap.

Saturday night- same routine, go to Anthony's, etc., etc., afterwards watch the cruise ships sail out of the harbor, call cab, back to room, and mix a few, um, well, ya know!

Sunday-Gigantic breakfast at Red Lion restaurant within staggering distance of the motel room. Head for stadium and PAR-TEEEE!!!!! Chargers?Donkeys at 1:15 p.m.

And I keep on hearing this dreck about commish Roger Goodell and Charger owner Alex Spanos carping at each other about stadiums and about moving. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!

I have, and had this routine for many moons now! Goodell, Spanos-why are you two p*o*ing on my #3 combo plate?
Right. As if any of your restaurant and bar hopping will have anything to do with the Chargers staying or leaving. Look the handwriting is on the wall. The Spanos' have not been able to make any headway on a stadium plan and it's looking more grim with every week that goes by. If things happen the way I hope they will you can take IH70 to IH25 and down to IH10 until you hit sweet San Antonio. No beach though. But we do have a nice Riverwalk loaded with bars and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
 
13,047 posts, read 11,774,314 times
Reputation: 38310
Relax-just getting psyched up for the season! BTW, I'm a Bronco fan, note the Bronco team thread I started.
70 to 25? NOT!! BLIZZARDS in October-YESS!!! You have to angle down from where i'm at to U.S.550 to Albuquerque and work your way to 285 past Roswell, Carlsbad, and Pecos till you hit the garden spot of west Texas-Ft. Stockton! Yippee!

And then there is Interstate 10, as if the drive through southeastern New Mexico doesn't put you to sleep first!. Guaranteed to bore you belong belief for hours!

San Antonio? Nice town!
Been to Riverwalk too! Ain't bad!

I know where the Alamodome is too. What do they do with that place besides the Alamo Bowl?

And I know something about I-10 and the San Antonio area from Kerrville to San Antonio. At the halfway point is the Segovia truck stop which serves a killer chicken fried steak and an even better catfish plate. Lousy motel rooms, though.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-02-2009 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
840 posts, read 755,754 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Relax-just getting psyched up for the season! BTW, I'm a Bronco fan, note the Bronco team thread I started.
70 to 25? NOT!! BLIZZARDS in October-YESS!!! You have to angle down from where i'm at to U.S.550 to Albuquerque and work your way to 285 past Roswell, Carlsbad, and Pecos till you hit the garden spot of west Texas-Ft. Stockton! Yippee!i'
And then there is 10. Guaranteed to bore you belong belief!

Been to Riverwalk too! Ain't bad!

I know where the Alamodome is too. What do they do with that place besides the Alamo Bowl?



And I know something about I-10 and the San Antonio area! The Segovia truck on I-10 close to Junction has one big yummy chicken fried steak! Lousy motel rooms, though.
Interesting route. I've been to Denver via the route I mentioned but never the way you speak of. Anyway, yes I'm psyched about the upcoming Redskin season as well. And as far as the Dome, it's used for trade and boat shows, motocross events and the like. Plus the Alamo Bowl is played there every new year. Notre Dame will be playing one their games in it this season. Versus Washington State I believe. Starting in 2011 however, the Dome will be the official home of the brand new UTSA football program. An NFL team could begin play there at anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
 
13,047 posts, read 11,774,314 times
Reputation: 38310
Actually, the only feasible route from where I'm at, otherwise it's I-70 to I-135 south to Wichita, then I-35 all the way down. Worst stretch? Dallas to Austin. That part is a racetrack in disguise!

Anyhoo, back to football and franchises, San Antonio I think is a GO as an expansion franchise if no team moves. Today's economy is beyond bad BUT not in San Antonio. I have a friend converse with who used to manage Sundance Records several years ago in San Marcos and goes to San Antonio weekly. The unemployment rate there is a damn site better than most places. 2.2 million or so people? Austin nearby? They could have qualified some time ago. QUESTION: Who down there has the bucks to get a team if no one moves there?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-02-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Status: "MLB postseason one week away!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
36,026 posts, read 18,760,275 times
Reputation: 21057
If the Chargers are smart, they should go back to trying to work out some kind of a stadium deal, because it won't be the Chargers making a move from San Diego. Jacksonville has stadium issues, as well, and there's actually a stronger likelihood that the Jaguars will be the ones with the moving van heading out of town in the near future.


And, yes, possibly to L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,805 posts, read 5,284,480 times
Reputation: 2960
Nooooooo.....the Chargers can't leave San Diego! San Diego Super Chargers....it just flows right off the tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
840 posts, read 755,754 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
If the Chargers are smart, they should go back to trying to work out some kind of a stadium deal, because it won't be the Chargers making a move from San Diego. Jacksonville has stadium issues, as well, and there's actually a stronger likelihood that the Jaguars will be the ones with the moving van heading out of town in the near future.


And, yes, possibly to L.A.
What makes you think that the Chargers won't move to San Antonio? Los Angeles has stadiums that are in worse shape than Qualcomm. Do the Chargers FO want to capture the coveted LA market so bad that they're willing to play two or three seasons in the decrepit old Coliseum? It seems that would be unwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
840 posts, read 755,754 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Actually, the only feasible route from where I'm at, otherwise it's I-70 to I-135 south to Wichita, then I-35 all the way down. Worst stretch? Dallas to Austin. That part is a racetrack in disguise!

Anyhoo, back to football and franchises, San Antonio I think is a GO as an expansion franchise if no team moves. Today's economy is beyond bad BUT not in San Antonio. I have a friend converse with who used to manage Sundance Records several years ago in San Marcos and goes to San Antonio weekly. The unemployment rate there is a damn site better than most places. 2.2 million or so people? Austin nearby? They could have qualified some time ago. QUESTION: Who down there has the bucks to get a team if no one moves there?
And San Antonio to Austin is no picnic either. You're right. It really is like the Daytona 500 out there. But beyond that I'd have to agree with everything you said about San Antonio being well qualified as a city. There are numerous people in and around SA that could buy a team and bring it down here. What the potential new owner needs is another owner willing to sell their respective team. Which, at this point seems unlikely. That is why I am so sold on the Chargers moving here at some point. The ownership is ready, willing and able to build a new stadium and all they need is some land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Status: "MLB postseason one week away!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
36,026 posts, read 18,760,275 times
Reputation: 21057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
What makes you think that the Chargers won't move to San Antonio? Los Angeles has stadiums that are in worse shape than Qualcomm. Do the Chargers FO want to capture the coveted LA market so bad that they're willing to play two or three seasons in the decrepit old Coliseum? It seems that would be unwise.

Well, what makes you think the Chargers couldn't stay put? I liked the stadium plan for the City of Industry that was presented about a year ago, and that was very impressive. That would be innovative, and, if built, would be the perfect home for a potential L.A. team. If the Chargers can't get their stadium thing settled, bresilhac, then who knows? San Antonio does have the stadium, but it's too close to Houston, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will not allow a team to "disrupt his fan base". And much of the Texans' fan base is in South, Central, and West Texas. I mentioned Jacksonville because there is talk that the Jaguars might be moving and they don't have the type of stadium that San Diego already has (remember, Jacksonville's stadium is a converted college stadium). I'm not against having a third team in Texas, but there are road blocks. You've got possibilities, but a move to San Antonio might be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
840 posts, read 755,754 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, what makes you think the Chargers couldn't stay put? I liked the stadium plan for the City of Industry that was presented about a year ago, and that was very impressive. That would be innovative, and, if built, would be the perfect home for a potential L.A. team. If the Chargers can't get their stadium thing settled, bresilhac, then who knows? San Antonio does have the stadium, but it's too close to Houston, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will not allow a team to "disrupt his fan base". And much of the Texans' fan base is in South, Central, and West Texas. I mentioned Jacksonville because there is talk that the Jaguars might be moving and they don't have the type of stadium that San Diego already has (remember, Jacksonville's stadium is a converted college stadium). I'm not against having a third team in Texas, but there are road blocks. You've got possibilities, but a move to San Antonio might be difficult.
Jerry Jones and his fan base will not prevent a team from coming to San Antonio. And Houston and Dallas are not too close to prevent a team from coming here. They are 200 and 300 miles away physically. And they are both huge metropolitan areas. So a team in San Antonio would not affect their ability to sell tickets at all. A real example of two teams cannibalizing each other are the Redskins and Ravens. These two towns are a mere 35 miles a part yet both have NFL teams. So the distance doesn't matter as much as the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top