U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 PM

927 posts, read 1,210,020 times

Advertisements

It's long been speculated that the San Diego Chargers will exercise their right to leave Qualcomm Stadium and San Diego after this season and move to greener pastures. Some have suggested that they could be moving to Los Angeles. Some say San Antonio is where they will go. Others say Las Vegas. Still others think that they will stay put.

If you ask me they will relocate to San Antonio during the 2009 off season. San Antonio has the Alamodome ready to use for football and with no major tenant currently. It could be used temporarily until a new Dome is built somewhere in the area. San Antonio is booming despite the lousy economy in other parts of the country and South Texans, indeed all Texans, are rabid football fans. A pro team in San Antonio seems like a natural to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM

16,531 posts, read 20,989,157 times
Bresilhac makes a good point. I've always pulled for the old American Football League clubs when the two leagues merged, I personally do NOT want that to happen, but it might. The Chargers have been raising hell about the stadium issue for a few years now.

Regarding San Antonio, it's only a matter of time before they get a franchise. Texas is a football crazy state, and even though Houston is just a few hours away, a franchise there is doable.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM

157 posts, read 589,685 times
wow .. this I didn't know .. why would the chargers move exactly? .. old stadium? Are the fans really into the chargers in SD or not so much? There has been much talk as to the NFL back in LA .. does LA want a team? I would think that LA would be the place, but Texas is kinda football country, so maybe SA makes sense too. Hmmm .. it will be interesting to see.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,578,414 times
They won't go to San Antonio. That city may have over 1,000,000 people but it's got only 1,000,001 in its metro area.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,111,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
They won't go to San Antonio. That city may have over 1,000,000 people but it's got only 1,000,001 in its metro area.
Actually, San Antonio has roughly 1.9 million in its metro; making the 28th largest in the country. It is also one of the fastest growing areas in the country. In terms of metro areas; San Antonio-metro is bigger than the metro-areas of Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, Buffalo, New Orleans, and Green Bay.

The point being that if San Antonio is denied an NFL franchise, the size of San Antonio's metro won't be a factor, unless some owner is picking a new based on market size alone, which is not likely.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 11-11-2008 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,243,963 times
Id kinda like to see SA get a team of their own. One condition, OUTSIDE stadium, like it was intended.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,361,843 times
It would be quite ironic if the Chargers moved back to LA, their original home in 1960.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 AM

766 posts, read 2,270,703 times
There's a huge monstrous massive immovable roadblock to San Antonio getting a team: Jerry Jones. The Cowboys (and to a lesser extent, the Texans) look at San Antonio as an extension of their home market and Jones will look to block any move by another franchise there. He will make Al Davis' old string of lawsuits against the NFL regarding the Raiders' "home market" (this guy actually argued that he controlled both Oakland AND Los Angeles) look like a bunch of parking ticket challenges (especially since Houston got another team a few years back and would likely provide Jones with an ally in this fight). San Antonio is simply going to eliminated almost immediately from consideration on this basis.

Based on pure demographics, Los Angeles is the obvious choice (although they are also the city that is least likely to bend over backwards to get a stadium deal in place). It's insane that the nation's second largest media market has 2 teams in every sport but doesn't have a single NFL team. There are some franchises where a stadium deal was more important than the market itself (i.e. Jacksonville Jaguars), but L.A. is not some fringe market - the NFL might need to back off of its demands on a stadium deal with respect to L.A. because that market is a cornerstone for any sports league.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,869,230 times
I hate when teams move. I hope they stay in SD.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Right. More than likely, L.A. will get a team before San Antonio or any other city.
It would seem to make more since in that the Chargers are already in SoCal, and they would only move up the street rather than 2 states away....

Then again, a city that had 3 teams and couldn't keep anyone of them shouldn't have one, IMO. I don't even think L.A. as a whole wants a team, just the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football