Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Just changing the channel doesn't solve the situation. I'm amazed how some people can see past their nose.

The NFL could make ALOT more money by showing better teams. Period. The freaking 2008 Lions just got named the worst team EVER on the NFL Network.

Concern about the NFL making more money never enters my mind on Thanksgiving Day.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,554,592 times
Quote:
Just changing the channel doesn't solve the situation. I'm amazed how some people can see past their nose.

The NFL could make ALOT more money by showing better teams. Period. The freaking 2008 Lions just got named the worst team EVER on the NFL Network.
and I'm routinely amazed at how so many people in america think money is the most important aspect in everything.

do you have a vested interest in the money from ad revenue at the NFL?

we see these same childish remarks about the Finals when a small market team is in there, what do you care, if you're a fan you'll watch.

the Lions have been doing this, thier idea btw, since Nineteen Hundred Thirty Four. It's tradition and not everything needs to bow down to money.

btw, the Lions aren't always a bad team , what do you want to do, make a law that states as soon as they get x-amount of wins in a season next year they can then go back on at Thanksgiving? would that be fair?

PS: I have seeing the cowboys play more on Thanksgiving, they're far more annoying IMO, sorry dallas fans.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM

613 posts, read 1,053,070 times
^ I agree I live in boston and Im a pats fan and a fan of football in general. I like to watch the games on Thanksgiving but come on the Lions every year its a blow out you cant tell me you dont want a descent game on Thanksgiving. Lions suck worse than the city they play in and thats bad.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Concern about the NFL making more money never enters my mind on Thanksgiving Day.
exactly, the amount of money "lost" by the NFL due to ad revenue is a pittance to a billion dollar industry that the NFL is.

It really is. and I still don't understand why so many thing money, esp. for something they have no financial interest in, is the most important reason for changing a tradition dating back to 1934.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:25 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,883,292 times
More money for the NFL...a great game for the fans. How is this a losing proposition?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

608 posts, read 921,842 times
I'll be the first to admit that the Lions aren't the most fun team to watch in the NFL right now, but I still enjoy the tradition of seeing them play every Thanksgiving. I've probably seen 25 Lions games played on Thanksgiving in my lifetime, and I think that most of them were good games. My memories of past Thanksgivings wouldn't be as good without seeing Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, Dave Kreig, Brett Favre, Donald Driver, Randy Moss, and other great NFL players in this particular game. Besides, outside of the Detroit metro area, when else will the rest of the nation get a chance to see the Lions? Even though I'm not a Lions fan, I can see that this team has some good building blocks in place, and is begining to move in the right dirrection. By next Thanksgiving, people may begin to have a different opinion about this team and it's abillity to be competative and entertaining.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
exactly, the amount of money "lost" by the NFL due to ad revenue is a pittance to a billion dollar industry that the NFL is.

It really is. and I still don't understand why so many thing money, esp. for something they have no financial interest in, is the most important reason for changing a tradition dating back to 1934.
The Cubs have a TRADITION of not winning a World Series for the past century. I would bet their fans would love to see that TRADITION come to an end!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,463,618 times
Quote:
The Cubs have a TRADITION of not winning a World Series for the past century. I would bet their fans would love to see that TRADITION come to an end!!!
wow, this analogy makes no sense. "Tradition of losing" is a cliche, the act of losing itself has variables and randomness, whereas scheduling the Lions on Thanksgiving day is not random.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
wow, this analogy makes no sense. "Tradition of losing" is a cliche, the act of losing itself has variables and randomness, whereas scheduling the Lions on Thanksgiving day is not random.
You say so. Traditions are broken daily. New one's are started. Why is it so hard for some to accept change?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:21 PM

369 posts, read 774,282 times
i can't see past my nose because i don't care about the NFL getting more advertisement revenue? Hahhahahahahahha. What a joke. Why would i care if the NFL makes more money, I'm not gonna see any of it. They're probably going to use that money to pay Michael Crabtree and other spoiled rookies. As far as the Lions sucking, football is a cyclical game, almost all teams have bad seasons... the Lions have not been historically abysmall all the time. Besides the Lions have the best WR in the league
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.