U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who will win the Super Bowl?
Arizona Cardinals 2 8.33%
Atlanta Falcons 1 4.17%
Baltimore Ravens 0 0%
Carolina Panthers 2 8.33%
Indianapolis Colts 3 12.50%
Miami Dolphins 0 0%
Minnesota Vikings 0 0%
New York Giants 7 29.17%
Philadelphia Eagles 2 8.33%
Pittsburgh Steelers 3 12.50%
San Diego Chargers 0 0%
Tennessee Titans 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
397 posts, read 1,161,084 times
Reputation: 198

Advertisements

I was going to make this poll earlier to get more votes...I don't see this topic yet. I'm only going to keep it open for 48 hours, since by that time our first playoff games will have already been played. Hopefully quite a few of you will vote.

My vote goes for the Giants in a repeat. Yes, it's a safe pick, but the Giants are quite simply the most well-rounded team in the game. The Panthers will give them quite the run for their money within their own conference though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 3,621,102 times
Reputation: 824
Eagles

Although I'm a fan of the Eagles, I think it's pretty much anyone's game, with some team's having an advatage. Teams like Arizona, Minnesota, Miami will probably fall this weekend. I can see Philly beating NYG, since without Plaxico they don't have a passing game. Carolina is another tough team, but definitely beatable.

On the AFC side, I think the 3 toughest teams are Baltimore, Indy, and Pittsburgh. If Indy plays well, they will make it to the Superbowl.

It seems like the AFC teams are tougher, and most likely will win, if not my birds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Cane-Bay Plantation
2,223 posts, read 4,407,240 times
Reputation: 468
Other than the Iggles beating the GGG Men, I agree with the rest of your post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806
I think we will see a Giants v Chargers SB. I got to give the edge to the Chargers in that one simply due to their experience of doing it last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
397 posts, read 1,161,084 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Eagles

Although I'm a fan of the Eagles, I think it's pretty much anyone's game, with some team's having an advatage. Teams like Arizona, Minnesota, Miami will probably fall this weekend. I can see Philly beating NYG, since without Plaxico they don't have a passing game. Carolina is another tough team, but definitely beatable.

On the AFC side, I think the 3 toughest teams are Baltimore, Indy, and Pittsburgh. If Indy plays well, they will make it to the Superbowl.

It seems like the AFC teams are tougher, and most likely will win, if not my birds!
Sorry, missing Plaxico does not affect the Giants that much, and Baltimore is led by a rookie QB. Roethlisberger won every regular season game his rookie year then lost his first playoff game. Rookie QBs don't lead their teams to Super Bowls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think we will see a Giants v Chargers SB. I got to give the edge to the Chargers in that one simply due to their experience of doing it last year.
What about Peyton's experience in doing it two years ago and making it to the conference championship almost every year? I think the Chargers are gone this weekend. They have a terrible pass defense and Peyton is just going to pass up-and-down the field with no opposition. It will be a fun shootout game, but Peyton basically always wins shootouts.

On the other hand, I don't think the Colts will win the Super Bowl because they have no running game. They could make it there but I also doubt that they will get past Pittsburgh's crushing defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 3,621,102 times
Reputation: 824
Default B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Sorry, missing Plaxico does not affect the Giants that much, and Baltimore is led by a rookie QB. Roethlisberger won every regular season game his rookie year then lost his first playoff game. Rookie QBs don't lead their teams to Super Bowls.



What about Peyton's experience in doing it two years ago and making it to the conference championship almost every year? I think the Chargers are gone this weekend. They have a terrible pass defense and Peyton is just going to pass up-and-down the field with no opposition. It will be a fun shootout game, but Peyton basically always wins shootouts.

On the other hand, I don't think the Colts will win the Super Bowl because they have no running game. They could make it there but I also doubt that they will get past Pittsburgh's crushing defense.
Defenses are what win games. Excellent defense with a mediocre offense will win games better than an excellen offense with no defense. I say they have a chance, despite the inexperienced QB

And Plax does affect the Gmen, as well as Brandon Jacob's questionable health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 3,621,102 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Other than the Iggles beating the GGG Men, I agree with the rest of your post
Yeah I wonder why LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
397 posts, read 1,161,084 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Defenses are what win games. Excellent defense with a mediocre offense will win games better than an excellen offense with no defense. I say they have a chance, despite the inexperienced QB
True, defense does win championships, but I just don't think the Ravens are strong enough this year to make it to the Super Bowl. If they had a more experienced QB I'd say they have a chance but I would still say that it's unlikely.

Quote:
And Plax does affect the Gmen, as well as Brandon Jacob's questionable health.
Sure, they lost their best receiver, but the Giants are good enough to overcome it. They have great depth at nearly every position. Defense and running win championships, and the Giants are great at both. Even with a shaky Brandon Jacobs they have a better running game than most teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 3,621,102 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
True, defense does win championships, but I just don't think the Ravens are strong enough this year to make it to the Super Bowl. If they had a more experienced QB I'd say they have a chance but I would still say that it's unlikely.



Sure, they lost their best receiver, but the Giants are good enough to overcome it. They have great depth at nearly every position. Defense and running win championships, and the Giants are great at both. Even with a shaky Brandon Jacobs they have a better running game than most teams.
Aight, we'll just have to wait and see. So many ways this can play out, I'm not the type to argue 'any given Sunday' results. Hopefully Eli will have taken his 'short bus pills' in time for them to kick in onec they hit the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Reputation: 32335
I have to say Carolina and not just b/c i'm a fan. The Panthers remind me of the Giants of last year. A solid defense, a killer running game, a QB who can win the game if need be, a playmaker WR. The panthers like the giants of 07 got hot at the right time with one close loss to a super bowl favorite. I think the panthers will run the table and win the Super Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top