Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gets the Lombardi trophy?
Arizona Cardinals 58 46.40%
Pittsburgh Steelers 67 53.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM

8,800 posts, read 10,235,741 times

Advertisements

dropping the arguments and moving on....

anyone here interested in the betting line for the game, here you go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
FEAR THE BIRDS!!!!!!!! Go Arizona, only because I despise the Steelers, thier bandwagon fans and those gay yellow rags!
All winning teams pick up bandwagon fans - I see alot more Pats over the last few years then I ever did in the 1980's or 1990's. But the Steeler nation is one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL. We turned Detroit into a home game in XL and well do it again Sunday in Tampa.

As for that "Gay yellow rag" - all the profits from Terrible Towel sales goes to a charity for diabled children in western PA, So i'd rather associate with a team that has that "Gay yellow Rag" then one that is known for it's Gay little videocams.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,234 times
Lets look at some more facts for the game...

-The Steelers have a better record

-The Steelers played in a MUCH tougher division

-The Steelers played one of the hardest schedules in the league this year

-The Steelers had to play tougher playoff games to get to the Bowl.

-The Steelers have the best unit on the field (defense)

-Big Ben can create plays and is at his best under pressure. Warner is a system QB and can't create plays on his own.

-The clock is gonna strike midnight for the AZ Cards on Sunday. Cinderalla no more.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM

15,140 posts, read 27,756,930 times
All I can figure out is folks that are fans of other teams (and my husband is one) - dislike the Steelers because we have such an awesome presence

Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
The Detroit Heralds, Canton Bulldogs, Dayton Triangles, and the Akron Pros. When the NFL was formed in 1922, those were a few of the clubs that made up the league. The Chicago Cardinals were there as well, and is the only club in the league that represented themselves in every single season, with the Pittsburgh Steelers coming into the league in 1933. (they were originally known as the Pittsburgh Pirates until 1940 when they were renamed the Steelers). I am relishing this super bowl as much as anyone. I'm old school, and this matchup is as old school as it gets.

Here is an interesting little item for you. In 1944 the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Chicago Cardinals merged to play their schedule. The previous year the Philadelphia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers merged to one club and were known as the Steagles. Why. The war effort. World War II took a sizable toll on the sports world. In those years the crowds generally were around 20,000. You always hear about how the baseball superstars of that era (Ted Williams, Hank Greenberg, Bob Feller), etc. were called to war. You never heard of the football players who went off because pro football took a huge back seat to major league baseball and college football for fan popularity.

There were few players that fans could identify with from their college years to the pro game. "Slinging Sammy" Baugh was probably the first player with real marquee value. Jim Thorpe was known as an Olympic champion (he played pro baseball as well). He played with the Canton Bulldogs, but in their very early years the NFL did not really have any playoffs of any sort. Other huge NFL players of that era would be Sid Luckman of the Bears and Don Hutson of the Packers. But Sammy Baugh brought the NFL to the forefront with his passing ability. He was probably the biggest figure in the NFL's first 25 years. He showed the league how to REALLY throw the football. He was, and still is, a huge figure in NFL's history.

Needless to say, the NFL has come a LONG way from those days. It is a money maker and a half. Corporations spend millions of dollars to promote their products via tv commercials on Super Bowl Sunday. The NFL franchises themselves are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The Super Bowl will be shown worldwide to many, many countries. And I'm loving every minute of it. For the first time EVER, the Super Bowl is represented by clubs who were there from the beginning years. Old School.

Yes, it has come a long way.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-30-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,116,747 times
Hey Texas Girl,

I thought you moved to Texas?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
The Super Bowl is by far my favorite sporting event of the year, but for some reason it seems like this one is flying under the radar quite a bit compared to the past several Super Bowls. Not as much coverage on TV or in the news compared to past Super Bowls. I wonder why? Sure its probably all thats going on in AZ and PA, but here in LA, not as much and Im a bit disappointed.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
The Super Bowl is by far my favorite sporting event of the year, but for some reason it seems like this one is flying under the radar quite a bit compared to the past several Super Bowls. Not as much coverage on TV or in the news compared to past Super Bowls. I wonder why? Sure its probably all thats going on in AZ and PA, but here in LA, not as much and Im a bit disappointed.
SuperBowl I would only put behing a big fight as far as looking forward to it.

The economy being in the sewer is a huge reason why there is not as much "hype". I kinda like it though because there seem to be a lot less phonies who are into it. Maybe REAL football fans can actually get seats at the game for a change.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM

8,800 posts, read 10,235,741 times
I've been avoiding ESPN for the most part except for basketball, but there doesnt seem to be much talk of the Super Bowl this year than last year.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Hey Texas Girl,

I thought you moved to Texas?
My life is NONE of YOUR business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football