Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Ya'll may as well get over the fact that the Cowboys will always be America's Team.
Based on what? If you look at the Poll America has said they aren't Americas team. They are the Dallas Cowboys not the U.S. Cowboys. The statement is as absurd as a team like the Cubs saying they are Americas team in baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
The Cowboys are America's team just like meth is America's drug.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Jazzy Jeff...are you a Bills fan? If so, why in the heck did they move the games to Toronto? I don't understand that.

The Bills did that because they wanted to get a bigger fan base and Toronto is pretty close to Buffalo and they wanted to try to make that part of the market area due to the 8.1 million residence in the Toronto metro area.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Based on what? If you look at the Poll America has said they aren't Americas team. They are the Dallas Cowboys not the U.S. Cowboys. The statement is as absurd as a team like the Cubs saying they are Americas team in baseball.
You are saying that is true because of some poll?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
You are saying that is true because of some poll?

Okay please explain to me why they are Americas team. When Thousands or more have said otherwise?

I was born in Texas and know that even Texas isn't a Cowboy State so what makes you think you have the entire country?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
If you wiki "America's Team" you get....

History

Bob Ryan, the Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys in 1979. After preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film he had to come up with a title for the film. [6] He was quoted as saying:

I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television.

During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (which Dallas won 22-21), the television announcer for CBS introduced the Cowboys as America’s Team and the name stuck.

Dallas's Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry originally did not approve of the appellation of America's Team. He felt that it would give opposing teams extra incentive to play harder. Eventually he gave in and actually came to like the name.[7]

That's why.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
the Cowboys are not America's team. In actuallity. There is no America's team. the only region that believes that is the Texas area. GO TEXANS!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Okay please explain to me why they are Americas team. When Thousands or more have said otherwise?

I was born in Texas and know that even Texas isn't a Cowboy State so what makes you think you have the entire country?
Texas ISN'T a Cowboy state?

I don't know if we grew up in the same state.
Really, the Cowboys own like 70% of Texas. 13% goes to the Houston Texans and the other 17% goes to other teams.... The Cowboys also have Oklahoma and New Mexico.
Whether or not you think they're America's Team, you can't argue with most fans in the South Central U.S. who think otherwise.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I grew up on a farm. When we needed a cowboy, we hired one who had a cutting horse (pronounced "cut'un'" down here). All the neighbors would chip in to help herd the cattle and brand, make steers, and give shots as needed. Of course the cowboy cut them out the the herd; that is really something to see, especially with your own eyes.

Then the whole bunch would go to another farm that had cattle and repeat the process.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Texas ISN'T a Cowboy state?

I don't know if we grew up in the same state.
Really, the Cowboys own like 70% of Texas. 13% goes to the Houston Texans and the other 17% goes to other teams.... The Cowboys also have Oklahoma and New Mexico.
Whether or not you think they're America's Team, you can't argue with most fans in the South Central U.S. who think otherwise.

Yes maybe my comment was a bit moronic lookin back at it. I failed in making the point that the Texans have a bit of support, clearly not as much as the Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football