Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Coming up on draft day. I looked back at the 2005 NFL Draft and i was shocked at how many guys were busts. The Top 10 was truly terrible. Just see below.

1 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers- BUST. Now looking at being a backup QB in SF.

2 Ronnie Brown RB Auburn Miami Dolphins- No Bust. Came back from knee injury and has put very respectable numbers.

3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan Cleveland Browns- No bust. Was turning into one of the NFL's best WRs before catching butterfingers. Another bad season will be the mating call of the bust tag.

4 Cedric Benson RB Texas Chicago Bears- BUST. Possible turnaround with the Bengals but never panned out for the Bears.

5 Cadillac Williams RB Auburn Tampa Bay Buccaneers- BUST due to injury. Has the most sympathy but for a top 5 pick unacceptable.

6 Pacman Jones CB West Virginia Tennessee Titans- BUST. Unless you been under a rock since 05, you already know.

7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina Minnesota Vikings- BUST. Butterfingers, Butterfingers, Butterfingers.

8 Antrel Rolle DB Miami (Fla.) Arizona Cardinals- No Bust. Supposed to be a CB but has been a serviceable safety.

9 Carlos Rogers DB Auburn Washington Redskins- BUST. The defensive edition of Troy Williamson.

10 Mike Williams WR USC Detroit Lions- BUST. Should have been a lineman. Had the weight for it.

11 DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy State Dallas Cowboys- No Bust. See #6.

12 Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland San Diego Chargers- No bust. If healthy, he changes the entire Chargers defense.

13 Jammal Brown T Oklahoma New Orleans Saints- No Bust. Very solid player.

14 Thomas Davis DB Georgia Carolina Panthers- No Bust. Not super but a solid linebacker.

15 Derrick Johnson OLB Texas Kansas City Chiefs- No Bust. Has been a decent starter.

16 Travis Johnson DT Florida State Houston Texans-BUST. Other than accidently cleaning Trent Green's clock hasnt done anything worthwhile.

17 David Pollack LB Georgia Cincinnati Bengals- BUST due to injury. Neck injury buried his career, too bad.

18 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin Minnesota Vikings- BUST. How does MINN miss TWICE?!
19 Alex Barron T Florida State St. Louis Rams- BUST. The hardest position to flop at and he did it.
20 Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State Dallas Cowboys- No bust. An OK player.

21 Matt Jones WR Arkansas Jacksonville Jaguars- BUST. Had a good year last year but off the field problems ruined him.

22 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma Baltimore Ravens- BUST. Just hasnt put up the numbers.

23 Fabian Washington CB Nebraska Oakland Raiders- BUST. Hey, who could do well playing with Nnamdi on the other side?

24 Aaron Rodgers QB California Green Bay Packers- The best player in the draft. I thought this guy would flop for sure when the inverse would happen.

25 Jason Campbell QB Auburn Washington Redskins- No Bust. Close but i'll give him one more year.

26 Chris Spencer C Mississippi Seattle Seahawks- No Bust. Not spetactular but decent.

27 Roddy White WR Alabama-Birmingham Atlanta Falcons- No bust. Really went off after the removal of the biggest black marks on the Falcons in Vick and Petrino.

28 Luis Castillo DE Northwestern San Diego Chargers - No Bust. Solid starter.

29 Marlin Jackson DB Michigan Indianapolis Colts- No bust. Has played acceptable.

30 Heath Miller TE Virginia Pittsburgh Steelers- No Bust. A starter on the Super Bowl team.

31 Mike Patterson DT USC Philadelphia Eagles- No Bust. Philly gave him a big deal after his FIRST season.

32 Logan Mankins G Fresno State New England Patriots- No Bust. A Pro Bowler.

There you go. Fourteen busts. 7 in the 1st ten picks. Not many star players. Just a terrrible first round of a draft argubably the worst of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM

45 posts, read 213,970 times
2005 Bengals draft

1st David Pollock was a bust broke his neck
2nd Odell was a bust started smoking meth
3rd Chris Henry can't stay out of jail
4th Eric was the worst center in the NFL and can't get a job now
5th Adam is jobless
6th Tab always hurt not in the Leauge right now
7th Fanene is still with the bengals and is doing good

Only the 7th pick is the only one who turned out good for the bengals. The 05 draft was a complete bust for the bengals.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
I celebrated a little when the Pack took Rodgers, good pick.

Also, amazing how many guys have had such legal troubles.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
rogers best pick in the draft is a rediculous statement. d. ware is by far the best pick of the players you listed, and roddy white so far has shown to be a very good reciever. teime will tell who is better of those 2.

with a second look, merriman is up there as well if he is the same player when he comes back from injury.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Ware and Merriman are the 2 best players from the draft in the first round

I dont think fabian washington is a bust though. he is not an excellent corner but he is a 2nd or 3rd corner on a team

Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Ware and Merriman are the 2 best players from the draft in the first round

I dont think fabian washington is a bust though. he is not an excellent corner but he is a 2nd or 3rd corner on a team
Merriman is a conditional player. He's the best defender on the Chargers when he is (i) healthy and (ii) 'roided up.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
As a vikes fan I had a shiver when I saw that. Erasmus was a one year wonder in Badgerland then kept getting hurt. Williamson is the prototype combine speed guy...but had oven mitts for hands. Think that was Tice last draft...

I think 09 will be another bust filled draft...although not as many criminals

Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
[quote=Alanboy395;7929681]Coming up on draft day. I looked back at the 2005 NFL Draft and i was shocked at how many guys were busts. The Top 10 was truly terrible. Just see below.

1 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers- BUST. Now looking at being a backup QB in SF.

2 Ronnie Brown RB Auburn Miami Dolphins- No Bust. Came back from knee injury and has put very respectable numbers.

3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan Cleveland Browns- No bust. Was turning into one of the NFL's best WRs before catching butterfingers. Another bad season will be the mating call of the bust tag.

4 Cedric Benson RB Texas Chicago Bears- BUST. Possible turnaround with the Bengals but never panned out for the Bears.

quote]

Agreed. He did absolutely nothing for the bears but for some reason he ended up being decent for the Bengals. Was the bears' offensive line not good enough?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Heath Miller is a star and Ronnie Brown is slowly coming into his own;besides that you might be right!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Heath Miller is a star and Ronnie Brown is slowly coming into his own;besides that you might be right!

i wouldn't call heath miller a star. he's a middle of the road to upper end starter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football