U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM

4,933 posts, read 8,697,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's ok...I'm a Bears fan and figured that a wildcard was the best possible upside for the season. I'm happy they have a good QB and can continue to rebuild.

My good buddies are Vike's fans and as much as you guys want to play it down let's lay it out there.

You will finish the season 13-3 or better and likely have homefield until the NFC championship game vs. NO.

Your team is capable of winning a Superbowl but it's all about shelf-life and injury <points to AP, Brett Favre etc.>

So, somewhere in the back of your brains you have to have this gnawing feeling that this might be the best chance to win a Superbowl you get in your lifetime or at least in the next decade or two.

So, that leaves a couple thougthts:
1. The regular season is meaningless when your team is this good.
2. Once you know the taste of a Superbowl win, you will come to understand that winning the NFC central is like winning a small fries on your McDonalds peel away sticker. (seriously, it's a 3 team division...you should win it quite often)
3. Your whole season will hinge on 2-3 games that are months away...and in fairness I will probably be rooting for you.
For the most part I don't disagree with anything in this post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM

15,742 posts, read 15,893,577 times
Well they played sloppy and missed a number of opportunities, but won by 17. Not bad.

Yo Chilly...anything and 1 in the red zone, give the ball to Purple Jesus, its proven effective. No pass to TE, no fullback, maybe a sneak but not w brett. Dont get cute when you have a hammer.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:38 PM

10,457 posts, read 8,459,182 times
Gotta throw another option in there every now-and-then Oildog. Give them spys sneakin' around and watching us something else to plan for. We haven't even unveiled the full package yet.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 AM

30,932 posts, read 19,169,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Well they played sloppy and missed a number of opportunities, but won by 17. Not bad.

Yo Chilly...anything and 1 in the red zone, give the ball to Purple Jesus, its proven effective. No pass to TE, no fullback, maybe a sneak but not w brett. Dont get cute when you have a hammer.
I hated that game. lol. Not because of the result but because it was a meaningless easy win after a bye week. I want to see the Vikes get to at least some of the decent teams left on their schedule (although they are home games) to see how they are playing.

One concern I would have is that they've rolled over mediocre to bad teams with few exceptions and when they hit the playoffs might they be in for a sudden jump in opponent quality after an assumed 1st round bye?

I'd be curious how they might adjust. Meaning could it cause a loss to a team they should beat?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 AM

They beat the Ravens, who I thought were decent, played well against the Steelers. Thought both of those were playoff worthy at the time. I think we have AZ and Cinci to gauge the team. ..and I'll give you the game at Midway.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM

30,932 posts, read 19,169,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
They beat the Ravens, who I thought were decent, played well against the Steelers. Thought both of those were playoff worthy at the time. I think we have AZ and Cinci to gauge the team. ..and I'll give you the game at Midway.
I guess I'm not concerned so much about gauging the team as waking them up. Speaking as someone that has watched the Vikings from a distance over the years....the team tends to play down to their opponents. They did let the Lions hang around with sloppy play.

They will need to bring their A game every single time in the playoffs or someone like Pittsburg will beat them again. (and they outplayed Pittsburgh)

I mean, losing to a NO or say Indy in the Superbowl in a hard fought contest is acceptable....getting knocked out by sloppy play after a first round bye by a team like Dallas or not inconceivably Green Bay would be a disaster.

I'm beginning to think that the Vikings need to lose a sloppy game down the stretch to wake them up....hey, maybe they will give my Bears a charity win lol.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM

^^I agree...so they signed Chilly to a multiyear deal...sigh...let him get them to the Super Bowl first.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,463,355 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I guess I'm not concerned so much about gauging the team as waking them up. Speaking as someone that has watched the Vikings from a distance over the years....the team tends to play down to their opponents. They did let the Lions hang around with sloppy play.

They will need to bring their A game every single time in the playoffs or someone like Pittsburg will beat them again. (and they outplayed Pittsburgh)

I mean, losing to a NO or say Indy in the Superbowl in a hard fought contest is acceptable....getting knocked out by sloppy play after a first round bye by a team like Dallas or not inconceivably Green Bay would be a disaster.

I'm beginning to think that the Vikings need to lose a sloppy game down the stretch to wake them up....hey, maybe they will give my Bears a charity win lol.

getting beat in the Superbowl is not acceptable

( Just cuz us older Viking fans are used to the Vikings losing once they get to the Superbowl, does not mean it is acceptable)

--IF-- they get to the Superbowl, they better win it.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM

15,008 posts, read 25,335,932 times
I'm a Vikings fan.

Therapy helps.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 AM

761 posts, read 2,076,032 times
Nice game Vikes, Brett was pretty much perfect.. Bring on the cry baby Cutler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football