Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My God, what is wrong with you? He is not evil, are you kidding me? This guy is one of the rare exceptions that if I read "Micheal Vick was brutally murdered", I would actually be thrilled about it. Anyone that could be that cruel to innocent animals deserves the death penalty in my opinion. At least people can speak up for themselves, animals can not.
Dog fighting is legal in many countries, and as I recall, was legal in at least one state at the time Vick was participating in the sport. Hunting is legal in every state in the USA, and hunting involves the slaughter of animals for fun. OK, if you have a particular dislike for dogfighting, among all the various sports that involve misttreatment of animals, that's fine.

Please show me the dossier on Vick that reveals that he has ever done anything else in his life that would add to up making him a reprehensible human being. You have him doing one thing, widely accepted by humans around the world, which did not harm any human victims in any way. What else have you got that would make you thrilled if he suffered a horrible death? Does he set out roach motels in his kitchen?

Show us the list of things Vick has done, to convince us that he is, in general, a consistenly evil and reprenehsible man. Show me the evidence that Vick is any worse a human being than any hunter. Or anyone who sets mousetraps in his garage, or rabbit traps in his garden.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
This is why I have absolutely no interest in ogranized sports. They are nothing but big business run amok with absolutely no decency left. The win at all cost mentality is way over the top with this. Most guys who get out of jail have trouble finding a job....but of course this Vick character, since he can throw a football accurately of course is worth millions of dollars a year the second he exits jail. And the fans will pay the ticket prices to see this moron how has a good arm, but not much going above the shoulders. My first question of course is....what does this say about the fans ????

We're on a race to the bottom folks...."devolution" is what I would call this. This fellow should be treated like any other "joe" who was convicted and sentanced for a horrible crime against animals.

I'm sorry...I know I'm just venting...but this just makes me angry.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
At the end of the day, he has to live with what he did. He has to answer for that. But what he did is wrong. And by signing him back into the NFL shortly after he was released was not the right thing to do. He should be made to tough it out a while...tough it out in the *outside* world. Making his way for 3 hots and a cot and not coddled by a football uniform.

just my .02
Michael Vick grew up in abject poverty. He's toughed it out in the world.

He went from being an enormous star purely by the virtue of his God given talents to being a convict. He'll never make the money he was making again, he'll always have the conviction following him around and a blind mass of people in this nation who uncompromisingly hate him and wish failure and harm upon him. He's toughing it out.

He had the world eating from his hand and that was all taken away in an instant for what really amounts to killing his own dogs. I do not support dog fighting nor the treatment fighting dogs receive, but at the end of the day dogs are property and not little people. They deserve respect and stewardship, but I'm suspicious that the actual punishment Vick has received is inelastic with the severity of his offense.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 AM

Let's see. Between Jasper and Drunk, it seems that anyone who develops enough skill to be a highly-paid athlete and is attracted to a fast-lane lifestlye, is open game for anyone who wants to brutally murder them under any pretext. Have I got this right?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
I am a dog owner and am pretty disgusted with what he did. Do I think he should have gotten more time? Yeah, definitely. However, I don't make the laws, and under the system we have he served his time and has the same rights as any other ex-con.
But most other ex-cons can't even get a job at McDonalds making minimum wage.

Vick is a digusting person in my eyes. And he should not be allowed back in the NFL based on their code of conduct rules. And to me, this is worse than what Stallworth did. He's the Browns player that plead guilty to drinking and driving and killing a man. He didn't harm that man on purpose, but Vick did harm those dogs on purpose.

Of course I think the Stallworth should be out of the NFL too.

And why the heck would we care what is legal in other countries? Other countries allow stoning, abuse and rape of women, chopping off hands and feet of thieves, selling of children so the parents get some money and the buyer gets an 8 year old child laborer. I could go on and on.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 AM

9,504 posts, read 9,818,992 times
While what Mike did to the dogs is incomprehensible, but he has paid his dues and was judged by his peers.

Mike has a right to go back to the occupation that he had before his prison time as long as that occupation has nothing to do with dogs and/or animals.

If Mike was a business owner, you can use your rights and not patronize that business.

If your a football fan, you don't have to buy a ticket to the game or watch the game if you so choose. I think that the game will go on.

I still believe some good will come out of this and hopefully future dog fighting rings will be busted and may not even happen anymore.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
But most other ex-cons can't even get a job at McDonalds making minimum wage.
That's not Michael Vick's fault. It's the fault of the individuals who comprise America's democratic society, which includes you. It's the fault of people like you and the other posters above, who have a squealy hissy fit if a person who commits an offense is allowed to return to productive life. Not even working at McDonalds, serving people pieces of animal that have been put through a meat grinder, which is so admirable and meritorous and praiseworthy.

You've never been on a farm, have you? Did you ever castrate an aniimal? Should every athlete who grew up on a farm be banned for life from ever playing? Growing up on a farm with any kind of livestock is prime facie evidence of having done something to an animal that the animal didn't like.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-14-2009 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 08:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
At the end of the day, he has to live with what he did.
I think that is a given.

Quote:
He has to answer for that.
Then what was the trial, conviction and incarceration for, fun?

Quote:
But what he did is wrong.
To say the least.

Quote:
And by signing him back into the NFL shortly after he was released was not the right thing to do.
So we should heap on additional penalties beyond those given under the judicial system. Individuals should be denied to ply their trade, earn a living and try to pick up their lives and do something constructive. No wonder we have the recidivism rate that we have.

Quote:
He should be made to tough it out a while...tough it out in the *outside* world.
Professional sports unlike other professions can only be pursued in a limited window of time, we ain't talking about a disbarred lawyer or a doctor who has had is license suspended. Either he plays some or not at all. That's his trade, he should be allowed to pursue it. As for coddled, most players spend the rest of their lives with severe physical disabilities so that fat slobs can have something to scream about on Sundays.

Getting hit by 300 lbs linemen isn't my idea of coddled. An actor can do all sorts of reprehensible things and get a mega million dollar contract and nobody has crap to say about it. I wonder why that is?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:18 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that is a given.

Then what was the trial, conviction and incarceration for, fun?

To say the least.

So we should heap on additional penalties beyond those given under the judicial system. Individuals should be denied to ply their trade, earn a living and try to pick up their lives and do something constructive. No wonder we have the recidivism rate that we have.

Professional sports unlike other professions can only be pursued in a limited window of time, we ain't talking about a disbarred lawyer or a doctor who has had is license suspended. Either he plays some or not at all. That's his trade, he should be allowed to pursue it. As for coddled, most players spend the rest of their lives with severe physical disabilities so that fat slobs can have something to scream about on Sundays.

Getting hit by 300 lbs linemen isn't my idea of coddled. An actor can do all sorts of reprehensible things and get a mega million dollar contract and nobody has crap to say about it. I wonder why that is?
In this particular thread, we are not discussing what anyone else does. We are discussing vick. What he did was wrong! His position in the NFL and the disgusting amount of money he made is what placed him in a position to do what he did. To hand that back to him so quickly, is a poor lack of judgment from the NFL.

Just because he is a so called professional athlete, does not give him carte blanche'. And without suffering and having to make his own way and not coddled, he won't learn any thing from all of this and will not be humbled.

But beyond all of that is that you criticize the fans in your post. That is uncalled for and out of line.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Vick served his time, why should he still be punished? He already paid the penalty for what he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football