Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

How many species of animals would starve to death if hunters did not thin them?

How come only animals that are good to eat need to be humanely thinned for their own good?

How come hunters can only perform this invaluable humane service during certain times of the year, and with bag limits? Don't starving suffering deer deserve to be killed all year long?

There are animal species on the endangered species watchlists, but there is still an open season and a bag limit. Do we need to work harder at thinning out these species, too, for their own good?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-14-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

How come only animals that are good to eat need to be humanely thinned for their own good?

How come hunters can only perform this invaluable humane service during certain times of the year, and with bag limits? Don't starving suffering deer deserve to be killed all year long?
Not all animals that are good to eat need to be thinned. Ground hogs, for instance, don't have to many natural predators left, so farmers have to kill them, and they don't taste good.

Deer, we hunted all of their natural predators out of most areas, so their population would explode without further human intervention.

We perform this during certain times of the year, because it allows the animals a chance to breed, they have a bag limit because we might over hunt them. If we under hunted them one year, the bag limit increases. Also, it could be because of diseases they carry during other times of the year. Also, it could be because they are migratory, and they move through the area at only specific times of the year.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
No, you are not correct. A true animal lover can not take part in that, even if it needs to be done. You are not going to find people volunteering for the animals shelters shooting deer on the weekends, I just do not buy it.
that is a pretty ignorant generalization. you are trying to shoehorn thousands of people into the tiny little box of your imagination, because the idea that some people might exist outside of that box screws with your reality and scares you.

hate to break it to you, there are plenty of animal lovers that hunt. there are plenty of animal shelter volunteers that hunt.

the two are not mutually exclusive.

even the american indian tribes loved animals, worshiped animals, respected animals, and.... hunted animals.

amazing how that works. and it is so much more humane than supporting slaughterhouses.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
that is a pretty ignorant generalization. you are trying to shoehorn thousands of people into the tiny little box of your imagination, because the idea that some people might exist outside of that box screws with your reality and scares you.

hate to break it to you, there are plenty of animal lovers that hunt. there are plenty of animal shelter volunteers that hunt.

the two are not mutually exclusive.

even the american indian tribes loved animals, worshiped animals, respected animals, and.... hunted animals.

amazing how that works. and it is so much more humane than supporting slaughterhouses.
He is right, I am one.

I love dogs, cats, ferrets, deer, cows, bison, lions, tigers, and bears. Countless other creatures I like, and I have volunteered at the local shelter.

I still hunt, I eat what I hunt, but I do hunt. I don't believe in trophy hunting, but its a free country.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:

There are animal species on the endangered species watchlists, but there is still an open season and a bag limit. Do we need to work harder at thinning out these species, too, for their own good?

Your Local Game Warden;

Victoria

Travis Haug

361-649-2476

John Kocian

361-579-8723

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/f...den/r4d1.phtml

Here are the game wardens of Victoria county. I'm sure they will be glad to explain it all to you...

But I'm sure you will want to fight with them too..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

We perform this during certain times of the year, because it allows the animals a chance to breed, .
If they are overpopulating and need to be thinned out, why are you allowing them a chance to breed?

Your arguments are paper thin. There are people who love to kill animals, and you are unwilling to tell them not to. Every single one of the arguments you have offered serve no purpose except to cater to men with guns (and some of their wimmenfolk) to satisfy their need to kill living things. Those that kill the wrong living things are not allowed to play pro football.

Hunting is probably a good thing, for only one reason. It diverts people with a bloodlust to kill, so they don't kill people.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

But I'm sure you will want to fight with them too..
I never fight with a man with a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I still hunt, I eat what I hunt, but I do hunt. I don't believe in trophy hunting, but its a free country.
No it's not. Try killing your dog. That's the whole topic under discussion. Does a man have a right to kill an animal he owns, or only a wild one?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
If they are overpopulating and need to be thinned out, why are you allowing them a chance to breed?

Your arguments are paper thin. There are people who love to kill animals, and you are unwilling to tell them not to. Every single one of the arguments you have offered serve no purpose except to cater to men with guns (and some of their wimmenfolk) to satisfy their need to kill living things. Those that kill the wrong living things are not allowed to play pro football.

Hunting is probably a good thing, for only one reason. It diverts people with a bloodlust to kill, so they don't kill people.
No, if the population gets to low, then they stop hunting season, it has happened in the past. Deer breed like rabbits, so you do have to kill off some, to keep the herd thin.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:30 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Quote:
how many species of animals would starve to death if hunters did not thin them?

Off topic!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
a couple of quick things:

-I'm not sure how the topic of hunting got brought up, but I'll say something quick to that point (sorry it's off topic): humans have already screwed up the natural order of nature. we've killed off countless wolves and other wild predators that kept prey species in check and we've permanently changed eco-systems by buildings massive farms, suburbs, etc. hunting is one way to get certain populations under control. any one who thinks hunters can't be animals lovers is being extremely narrow-minded. as mentioned before, Native Americans have long cherished many animals, including the same animals they hunted.

-I hate what Vick did, but under the current laws of this country, he's done his time. time to move on from him. you can protest at Eagle games all you want, but people will still attend them (most of them to cheer on the same team they've always cheered, whether Vick is a part of it or not. how are you going to separate the Vick supporters from the Eagles supporters? I feel bad for Eagles fans b/c a lot of them may endure some hate from zealous animals lovers for even supporting the team at all) and protesting these games does NOTHING for the current plight of dog fighting. banning Vick from playing in the NFL does NOTHING to stop dog fighting.

ETA: according to one news source, the protests so far have been "mild". so maybe other, less zealous animal lovers are coming to the realization that protesting isn't going to change anything

instead of wasting time going after ONE man who has already been fully punished for his crimes to the extent of the laws, why not put all that energy into changing the laws? funny, I've seen several threads regarding Vick being reinstated and joining the Eagles, at least 2 in the dog forum alone, but I've yet to see ONE thread or even many responses about how to stop the overall issue of dog fighting. people are spewing all sorts of stuff about Vick should be banned and die, etc, etc, yet no one in these threads are concentrating on the bigger issues at hand or how to curtail it. instead of threads filled w/ people looking to call and and complain to the NFL and Eagles management, how about people get outraged and call up politicians that can increase the penalty for dog fighting?

-finally, a lot of people have made statements that Vick is beyond rehabilitation, that people like him never change. whether Vick is or isn't remains to be seen (I haven't been keeping close tabs on his responses since i've moved on from Vick). HOWEVER, dog fighters can and have changed:

Sean Moore: Reformed Fighter Is Now Friend to Pit Bulls | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/acf/news/sean_moore_profile_ada_052209.html - broken link)

is it possible Vick can be the new voice against dog fighting, like Sean Moore became after being in that scene for 2 decades? who knows. but it wouldn't be impossible, so long as he truly feels remorse for what he did (I can't say for sure whether he has or not since I don't know him). I don't know much about football, however I have respect for Tony Dungy and he's the most public supporter of Vick at the moment, so I'm going to sit back and hold off any real judgment of whether he can change/has changed or not. if he does change, he would be a major tool in the fight against dog fighting, since someone like Vick publicly speaking out against dog fighting will do more than some random HSUS official doing so.

Last edited by eevee; 08-14-2009 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: added comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football