Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Anyone who is against this should write to the Eagles organization, and to advertisers for Eagles NFL games and tell them you are severely distressed and will not buy ____ as long as Vick is an Eagle. Sometimes you can call corporate headquarters, too.
My feeling is, he served his time (and paid the fine) and his crime didn't relate to the ethics of the game (unlike, say, Pete Rose and gambling on baseball games). Now, I think Vick is a dirtbag of the first degree, and I sincerely hope that advertisers or fans will make their displeasure known. I also hope the "time off" from playing has taken away from his abilities and that he is a disgrace on the field.
I hope for a lot of other bad things to happen for him.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I was watching one of the cable news channels early this morning and sick vick was the topic of discussion.
They actually scrolled a list of the torturous things he did to the dogs. (I did not know the details of the 3 listed here.)
I knew it was going to be bad, but even the commentator could not stand to hear the list being read.
1.) One was that he actually strung dogs up in a noose in a tree and electrocuted them with jumper cables.
2.) Another was that he would take dogs in his pool and hold their heads under the water until their bodies became lifeless and they had drowned.
3.) The last was that he took family pets and thru them into the ring and applauded as the poor, suffering fighting dogs shredded up the poor little bait ones! Most were young puppies!
This man needs to vanish from the earth! His day will come. These are horrific things he did to those poor dogs. People will not forget.
A dog is mans best friend, we are supposed protect and take care of them and in return they give us unconditional love as long as they live! They lead the blind, walk for the ones who cannot and bring joy to those who suffer other ailments. They teach our children compassion.
Shame on you Vick, in my eyes you are not deserving of anything good or successful in your life.
Our country has become one of greed and it is not something to be very proud of! Shame!
Shame on thePhiladelphia Eagles, since winning a Super Bowl $$$$$ is more important to them than anything else! It is just not right.
Greed is proven once again!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I look at my dogs and cringe at the thought of how anyone could intentionally hurt one. Shame on the Eagles, and anyone, who finances someone with such a horrific past. Vick's memorized speech about how sorry he is about what he's done is embarassing. Also, the NFL's lifelong ban has a price, I see. How corrupt is this corporation and how far does it spread. I'm glad I no longer watch professional sports anymore. What a sham!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Whoaaaaaaaa! My post was not directed at Eagle fans in the least. Macho Morons was directed at ANY fan/person who pays to see him. That could entail the whole NFL for all I know. The Eagles just happened to be the ones who signed him first. And of course, it was to sell tickets. Why else...for his likeability?
I'm sorry you took it personally...it was not meant to be taken that way.
I guess I didn't make my self clear. They don't need Vick to sell tickets. There are 50,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets. Their home games are sold out well in advance. I'm sure they think this will generate merchandise sales but not from me. I won't buy anything as long as he is on this team. I don't want to fight with any one! I'm just tired of our fans being bashed. If you're not from this area I think it's hard for others to understand the daily bashing Philly fans endure. It's all of our fans, Phillies, Eagles, Flyers. And I guess I'm just a little more sensitive today. I was not attacking you I just wanted to clear up the selling more tickets issue. Plus I had just come from another thread where people were bashing our fans, like we were the ones who made the decision to sign Vick. I love animals and I can't accept any reason for signing him.

Latetotheparty, not sure if I got that right, also lumped the fans into this signing of Vick with the comment about us booing Santa Claus. A lot of Eagles fans are not happy with Vick. I've been listening to our local sports radio all day and the fans calling in are not happy.

So I am sorry if you thought I was attacking you. I am stressed out, I have a sick cat who is not doing well and had a cat PTS almost 2 months ago. I think I should have stayed in bed today and hid under the covers. Again, sorry. I do enjoy your posts and you seem to be a nice person.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Andy Reid did not look happy during the press conference this morning, and Jeff Laurie said that Vick's behavior off of the field will really determine if he remains an Eagle. My hope is that Philly fans treat him the way that he should be treated and if you are familiar with Philly, you know what I mean. Personally, I don't think Vick or any sports person who commits felonies should be able to play ball again. Young people look up to these people and many have no sense of right and wrong.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Vick committed a terrible crime. And he served his time.

If he was a carpenter or a grocery clerk, would you be arguing no contractor or grocery store should ever hire him?

I hope Vick can use his position to raise awareness that dog fighting is wrong and maybe commit to working on other animal welfare causes. Give the man a chance to do the right thing.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post

If he was a carpenter or a grocery clerk, would you be arguing no contractor or grocery store should ever hire him?

I hope Vick can use his position to raise awareness that dog fighting is wrong and maybe commit to working on other animal welfare causes. Give the man a chance to do the right thing.
In Michigan he could not get nor, could he keep a licence to drill water wells. Nope, not with a felony.

When I see signs for "free" kittens or puppies, I think they should just say "bait". They are just asking for someone to take them to torture.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:

A carpenter or grocery store clerk is not in the public eye. No kid is looking up to them wishing to be just like them.
The only reason Michael Vick stopped his horrendous practices is because he was caught. Do you really think any animal activists would enlist his help? Or more importantly, want it?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
A carpenter or grocery store clerk is not in the public eye. No kid is looking up to them wishing to be just like them.
The only reason Michael Vick stopped his horrendous practices is because he was caught. Do you really think any animal activists would enlist his help? Or more importantly, want it?
Only Nixon could go to China.......

Like it or not there are some segments of African-American culture that view dog fighting as OK. This is not going to be changed by a bunch of (mostly white) animal rights activists wagging their fingers at it. Vick has the creditability with these people to help delegitimize and stigmatize dog fighting.

So you can howl at the Eagles & Vick and feel all self righteous or you can enlist his help and try to stop dog fighting and save some dogs' lives.

Your choice.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
Quote:

Yes I agree, and he has agreed to work with the Humane Society which is wonderful. The only way people will care if he is working with the Humane Society is if he is on the field as well. Other wise it would be like your carpenter and grocery clerk, which is great to more love for the dogs the better, but Vick has a chance to possibly reach people that are being mean to dogs still, and perhaps they will listen to him since he is a big football player/reformed dog fighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football