Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times

Advertisements

Looks like Charles tore his ACL. Add to that a 48-3 ass kicking and I can't see this team winning a single game this year.

Maybe they can get Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Horrible luck- Lose Berry for the season in week one and then Charles the next week. At this point I say just throw the season for draft position.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Ok, riddle me this because I'm an 11 year transplant to the KC metro and it baffles me.

Everyone expects little from the Chiefs....but the Royals, at least up until the last few years would always have people insanely optimistic about their "good young players"...and then try not to lose 100.

I know you had the wonder years with Brett but that was a long time ago. Additionally, adjusted for inflation, Brett's league high salary would now only be about 5-6million a year which speaks to how baseballs broken economics has made the climb for poorer teams even steeper. (and moneyball is a great concept but you can only add so much hamburger helper before that's all you are eating.)

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, riddle me this because I'm an 11 year transplant to the KC metro and it baffles me.

Everyone expects little from the Chiefs....but the Royals, at least up until the last few years would always have people insanely optimistic about their "good young players"...and then try not to lose 100.

I know you had the wonder years with Brett but that was a long time ago. Additionally, adjusted for inflation, Brett's league high salary would now only be about 5-6million a year which speaks to how baseballs broken economics has made the climb for poorer teams even steeper. (and moneyball is a great concept but you can only add so much hamburger helper before that's all you are eating.)
There were high expectations from the Chiefs this season as well though.

The Royals by evidence of this season are going to be substantially better in the coming years. They have made a real effort to build a winner in KC. I don't think anyone expects a WS, but to at least be in the hunt at the end of the season isn't out of the question.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:

I think you are confused. People expect little from the Royals and either expect or hope for a lot from the Chiefs.

The fans had high expectations for the Chiefs this season coming off a Division title and a young squad.

The Royals have made some headlines for having the best talent in their minor league system over every other team in the majors by far. In fact, some people have gone as far as to say that they may have the highest level of prospects right now than anyone ever has. So, people do have some hope for the Royals future. However, those players are just going to come up, give the Royals a few good years and then go somewhere where they can make real money.

Chiefs fans (I am a Packers fan living in KC) are a weird animal. You know how little kids will touch a stove for the first time when it is hot and then learn never to do it again? Well, Chiefs fans are like the odd kid that keeps touching it and burning themselves over again. The Chiefs are not a winning organization and never will be. Clark Hunt, et el cares about making money and as long as the dumbass Chiefs fans keep filling up Arrowhead, paying $26 to park, and buying a ****load of concessions, he will be more than satisfied with the team being mediocre. The team has not won a playoff game in nearly 20 years and has only won 7 in their entire history. Yet, their cost of tickets versus cost of living ratio is among the highest in the league and the team continues to jack up prices every year whether they win or not. I am all about supporting your team through thick and thin but at some point, you need to ask some questions and demand some changes.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM

4 wins in a row tied for first in the division!?!?!?!?!

This has got to be the strangest team of the season so far.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
What was strange was how Phillip Rivers choked the game away to the Chiefs.

I'm glad the Chiefs won... but they didn't earn it. Suffice to say, they can go win 3 or 4 of the next 5 and be in the running.

Phillip Rivers is now the Tony Romo of the AFC.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What was strange was how Phillip Rivers choked the game away to the Chiefs.

I'm glad the Chiefs won... but they didn't earn it. Suffice to say, they can go win 3 or 4 of the next 5 and be in the running.

Phillip Rivers is now the Tony Romo of the AFC.
If you look at the Chiefs schedule it started tougher and then turned A LOT softer....plus the Chargers literally handed that game over.

The Chiefs bandwagon will roll on with Miami this week but if you look at their schedule it starts to turn nastier towards the latter part of the season.

It really is a shame about all the injuries. Barring them I feel the chiefs are a playoff calibre team. However with those injuries they don't have any margin for error and cannot give away any games to beatable teams like Miami and may need to win some of the tougher games coming up like the trip up to Chicago.

The Chiefs problem of 5-10 years ago was that they had this brutal O-line that made their QB's and backs look like HOFers. They then paid these skill guys a fortune leaving no cap money for a D. Ironically, when they'd stick in a new RB the guy would also kick butt and they'd be "wow I had no idea our backups were so good" and I would . Then when guys would leave their numbers would sag.

Just a poorly run team. I also fear their leadership spends too much time caring about the opinions of the local sports writers etc. than making the tough decisions. KC is a team that in the past never would have let a Favre go to promote Rodgers....they wanted to be the popular parent.

Let's see how they fare going forward, so far so good....just bad luck with injuries.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
The Chiefs bandwagon will roll on with Miami this week but if you look ...
... and Broncos. That's a good game to get healthy on. I don't think the Broncos can put together a gameplan to compete with the Raiders and the Chiefs beat them 28-0.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The Royals have made some headlines for having the best talent in their minor league system over every other team in the majors by far. In fact, some people have gone as far as to say that they may have the highest level of prospects right now than anyone ever has. So, people do have some hope for the Royals future. However, those players are just going to come up, give the Royals a few good years and then go somewhere where they can make real money.
Not to sidetrack but that's one heckuva "however".

Royals fans are more clued in now but when I moved here it was "we have these great young players like Damon, Dye, blah blah blah and in a few years we will be doing great."

You still hear it now around KC and with other small-market excuse makers with their fantastic scenarios where all these guys peak at the same time and a team catches lightening in a bottle. Yes, it can happen....but ah nm....who cares about baseball anymore anyway lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football