Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Here's some crazy stats on the Chiefs 3 losses -
They lost by a total of 7 points in all 3 defeats.
They scored an average of 40 points in all 3 defeats.

If the Chiefs even had a mediocre defense they would be 14-0. The fact that the offense scored an average of 40 points in their only 3 defeats = simply mind boggling how f'g terrible this defense is. Not only do they pretty much allow offenses to run down the field most possessions, they choke whenever the game is on the line pretty much every time.
Even without Hunt, every facet of the offense aside from the running backs (which actually don't look that bad) is top notch includiing the front line so anything can happen in the playoffs, although I think getting to the SB with this sad sack defensive crew and coordinator is very low odds.
They keep losing the biggest games, though. And I'm an Andy Reid guy, but this is his arc. When expectations are low (early season), you're undefeated and wowing everyone with your play. When expectations rise, he/they wilt beneath the pressure. Since the 5-0 start, you guys don't have a signature win, and almost lost to the Broncos and the Ravens. That collapse after leading most of the game by two touchdowns isnt excusable. Mahomes on the road is turnover prone and that boom or bust play got them L's in both games...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM

796 posts, read 505,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
come on dude, stop the hating......Chiefs have only lost 3 games

Patriots by 3 points on the road
LA Rams by 3 points on the road
LA Chargers by 1 point at home (division team and a team that lost like 10 times in a row versus the Chiefs, so I knew it was going to be close)

all 3 playoff teams. Chiefs lost their best RB and still they are always in the game come the 4th Quarter.

it was a good game, I picked the Chargers to win......Chargers defense made 1 key stop in the 4th quarter to get the ball back which they couldn't do for most of the game.....Chiefs defense came close in ending the game but couldn't make a play on two 4th down plays on the last drive, give credit to Rivers for making 2 perfect throws and on the money on two 4th down plays and his receivers and give credit to the coach for that gutsy call going for the win with the 2 pt. conversion. If the Chargers wouldn't have made the 2 pt. conversation and lost the game and the division then the media and "experts" would be singing a different tune today and be blaming Rivers for choking and his 2 INT's. Funny how the narrative changes week by week by just 1 win or lost.

All NFL teams in the playoffs as of now have issues and weaknesses especially on defense and others on offense.
Not hating at all...just stating observations. I would replace Garrett with Reid any day but lets be honest....this game was what the Chiefs needed to win the division and get HFA in playoffs. It was a too important game for them to choke as they are playing a hot Seahawks team on the road. And I am not taking away how gritty and resilient the Chargers are and I really like their HC Anthony Lynn and Rivers is a good QB. But Andy is still Andy and he has a history of doing what he did last night. Sometimes u just gotta put teams away.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
They keep losing the biggest games, though. And I'm an Andy Reid guy, but this is his arc. When expectations are low (early season), you're undefeated and wowing everyone with your play. When expectations rise, he/they wilt beneath the pressure. Since the 5-0 start, you guys don't have a signature win, and almost lost to the Broncos and the Ravens. That collapse after leading most of the game by two touchdowns isnt excusable. Mahomes on the road is turnover prone and that boom or bust play got them L's in both games...
When a team scores an average of 40 points a game and they lose, it is clearly the defense that is losing these games not the offense. Reid has done a masterful job putting this offense together but I have no friggin clue how this defense became such a mess, Sutton HAS TO GO.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Not hating at all...just stating observations. I would replace Garrett with Reid any day but lets be honest....this game was what the Chiefs needed to win the division and get HFA in playoffs. It was a too important game for them to choke as they are playing a hot Seahawks team on the road. And I am not taking away how gritty and resilient the Chargers are and I really like their HC Anthony Lynn and Rivers is a good QB. But Andy is still Andy and he has a history of doing what he did last night. Sometimes u just gotta put teams away.

Chiefs are already in the playoff. They didn't choke, they lost by 1 point to a very good division rival that has lost 9 games in a row to the Chiefs and beating them 10 times was very hard. That's one of the reasons I picked the Chargers. It's hard to beat a good division rival all the time, let alone 10 times in a row be swept by the Chiefs 5 years in a row. Chargers were going to break that losing streak against the Chiefs sooner or later and if you are the Chiefs you rather have them break it in a regular season game than in the playoffs.

Chiefs have swept the Chargers for 4 seasons in a row......this year they split and only lost by 1 point....that's not choking. That's losing to a very good division rival that refused to be swept 5 years in a row. Choking to me would be the Chargers losing to the Chiefs last night that would have made it 5 years in a row they got swept by the Chiefs.

What did Andy do last night that you consider that he choked?

Quote:
Sometimes u just gotta put teams away

easier said than done from the remote control on your lazy boy.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
KC is 3-3 versus current teams over .500. KC has gone 6-3 since starting 5-0, which is more indicative of how they are playing right now--->this is a team with a really good offense, a really bad defense, but they aren't the best team in the AFC nor going to the Super Bowl...

KC is severely compromised without Hunt. I'm taking anybody going into KC on the postseason, they don't like winning home playoff games anyway. And really, I'm really close to being able to imagine them losing on the road in the Divisionals...
But you don't tell the whole picture. Chiefs are 3-3 versus current teams over.500 but those 3 losses were by a field goal on the road (twice) and by 1 point against a very good division rival that the Chiefs have beat 9 games in a row and have swept them 4 years in a row.....they lost the game by 1 point and split. I knew to sweep the Chargers again this year was going to be tough and they came 1 point short.

No team has beat up on the Chiefs this year. You can't say that about any other teams above .500.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
But you don't tell the whole picture. Chiefs are 3-3 versus current teams over.500 but those 3 losses were by a field goal on the road (twice) and by 1 point against a very good division rival that the Chiefs have beat 9 games in a row and have swept them 4 years in a row.....they lost the game by 1 point and split. I knew to sweep the Chargers again this year was going to be tough and they came 1 point short.

No team has beat up on the Chiefs this year. You can't say that about any other teams above .500.
Well, that Seahawks team you're playing this week is 8-5 and hasn't lost a game by more than 8 points. Their 5 losses are by a combined 25 points, so I'd say they fit your description of a team that nobody has really whipped on...

My point is, Kansas City is not winning the big games. Maybe the problem is that they have a problem closing games. It doesn't matter the margin of loss, when there now is an established pattern of failing to close their biggest games. All of these losses (Patriots, Rams, Chargers) were benchmark games, and the results prove that KC is a little smoke and mirrors. They are good, one of the better teams in The League, with an understated pass rush. But they're not THAT good, not as good as their record belies, and these close losses prove it...

There is no brownie points for routing the Bengals and beating the Browns who have no credibility (though the future is astonishingly bright) and struggling to put away Arizona. The benchmark is how have the Chiefs performed when they played the best competition. The answer is, they've played well, but they keep losing the litmus test games...

Again, I'm a Reid fan, but this is mirroring his entire 20-year career as a head coach. Great coach who can never get his team to close when they really need to. This is disappointing but given his (and the Chiefs organization before him) track record, it is hardly surprising. You guys have to earn that credibility come the tournament...

Old 12-14-2018, 03:04 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,155 times
For me as a Chiefs fan the loss to the Chargers was the chickens from the haste to rid themselves of Marcus Peters coming home to roost. The defensive secondary is total garbage and Eric Berry's return won't help that much. Although it has to be noted that in the first half with EB playing they gave up only 7 points. The loss also rests on Andy Reid's blind loyalty to Bob Sutton. Bob should have been shown the door right after the pathetic showing in the playoff loss to the Titans. All Chiefs fans have seen this before as Dick Vermeil's blind loyalty to Greg Robinson led to the Chiefs wasting a tremendous offense in the early 2000's with a horrible defense. Super Bowl windows are fickle things, just ask Dan Marino. The Chiefs are stuck with Bob and garbage secondary and garbage inside linebackers for the rest of this season. Andy just has to get it through his head that unless the Chiefs are playing with a 21 point or better lead he needs to call plays as if they are a touchdown behind. Come the playoffs this team won't have the luxury of playing teams with sub par quarterbacks.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:22 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
For me as a Chiefs fan the loss to the Chargers was the chickens from the haste to rid themselves of Marcus Peters coming home to roost. The defensive secondary is total garbage and Eric Berry's return won't help that much. Although it has to be noted that in the first half with EB playing they gave up only 7 points. The loss also rests on Andy Reid's blind loyalty to Bob Sutton. Bob should have been shown the door right after the pathetic showing in the playoff loss to the Titans. All Chiefs fans have seen this before as Dick Vermeil's blind loyalty to Greg Robinson led to the Chiefs wasting a tremendous offense in the early 2000's with a horrible defense. Super Bowl windows are fickle things, just ask Dan Marino. The Chiefs are stuck with Bob and garbage secondary and garbage inside linebackers for the rest of this season. Andy just has to get it through his head that unless the Chiefs are playing with a 21 point or better lead he needs to call plays as if they are a touchdown behind. Come the playoffs this team won't have the luxury of playing teams with sub par quarterbacks.
Pretty much. The Chiefs' offense just needs to play lights out every playoff game to keep advancing, because you know the defense will allow a ton of tds and you can never count on them to hold a lead. It could happen, but it's doubtful without Hunt. If the defense was even close to average this would be a no brainer superbowl contending team, which is very frustrating considering how many decades Chiefs fans have had to wait since the last SB.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well, that Seahawks team you're playing this week is 8-5 and hasn't lost a game by more than 8 points. Their 5 losses are by a combined 25 points, so I'd say they fit your description of a team that nobody has really whipped on...

My point is, Kansas City is not winning the big games. Maybe the problem is that they have a problem closing games. It doesn't matter the margin of loss, when there now is an established pattern of failing to close their biggest games. All of these losses (Patriots, Rams, Chargers) were benchmark games, and the results prove that KC is a little smoke and mirrors. They are good, one of the better teams in The League, with an understated pass rush. But they're not THAT good, not as good as their record belies, and these close losses prove it...

There is no brownie points for routing the Bengals and beating the Browns who have no credibility (though the future is astonishingly bright) and struggling to put away Arizona. The benchmark is how have the Chiefs performed when they played the best competition. The answer is, they've played well, but they keep losing the litmus test games...

Again, I'm a Reid fan, but this is mirroring his entire 20-year career as a head coach. Great coach who can never get his team to close when they really need to. This is disappointing but given his (and the Chiefs organization before him) track record, it is hardly surprising. You guys have to earn that credibility come the tournament...
really? LOL Seahawks has yet to beat an above .500 team. They only beat 1-1 Cowboys in Week 3 when the Cowboys were mediocre. You have 2 standards 1 for the Chiefs and one for the rest of the league.

Chiefs lost 3 games:

1) @ Patriots by 3 points where the Patriots are unbeaten at home

2) @ LA Rams by 3 points where the Rams are unbeaten at home

3) vs Chargers by 1 point. A division rival where the Chiefs have swept them 4 years in a row and split with them this year. Name me a team that can sweep this Chargers team in the same season?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
really? LOL Seahawks has yet to beat an above .500 team. They only beat 1-1 Cowboys in Week 3 when the Cowboys were mediocre. You have 2 standards 1 for the Chiefs and one for the rest of the league.

Chiefs lost 3 games:

1) @ Patriots by 3 points where the Patriots are unbeaten at home

2) @ LA Rams by 3 points where the Rams are unbeaten at home

3) vs Chargers by 1 point. A division rival where the Chiefs have swept them 4 years in a row and split with them this year. Name me a team that can sweep this Chargers team in the same season?
You're moving the goalposts. You said no other above .500 team has not been "beat up" this year. That was a false statement, and now you're adding qualifiers...

The Kansas City Chiefs are not winning the bigger games on the schedule. You keep talking about how they are losing to tough teams, but you're making my point for me:

•The Patriots are 5-2 vs +.500 teams (.714)...
•The Chargers are 4-2 vs +.500 teams (.667)...
•The Rams are 4-2 vs +.500 teams (.667)...

The Kansas City Chiefs are 3-3 vs +.500 teams (.500)...

The Chiefs are second tier, with a first tier record that upon reflection, reveals they struggled to beat bad teams, and keep losing to first tier teams...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football