U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,936,621 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine from New Jersey who works for a trucking company told me the following...

In 2003 when Lambeau was being renovated, the turf being brought in was from the East Coast (I believe New Jersey). In order to save some of the cost of the field prep a local supplier was hired to provide the fill that the turf was to be laid down on. Because the available fill in the Green Bay area was deemed to be too heavy (too much silt and clay) a sandier substitute was used. That substitute was brought in from a supplier over the border in Illinois near Waukegan. This friend of mine swears that he was told the soil they brought in came from soil removed during the recent Soldier Field renovation. So in effect, we now have the storied Green Bay Packers playing on grass from New Jersey sitting on dirt from Soldier Field their biggest rival!

The Pack's record in Lambeau seems to at least taken a turn for the worse since they started playing on Soldier Field dirt in any case. They've only had two winning records at home during the previous six years and with the loss to the Bengals are now a modest 27 - 23 (.540) since. Hardly the stuff of legends and in-Vince-ability I'd say.

Papa Bear must be having himself a pretty good laugh somewhere right now. Sometimes it's just best to leave thing as they are.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,035,440 times
I dunno if it's true or not but it'd be pretty damn funny if it was.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,117,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
In 2003 when Lambeau was being renovated, the turf being brought in was from the East Coast (I believe New Jersey). In order to save some of the cost of the field prep a local supplier was hired to provide the fill that the turf was to be laid down on. Because the available fill in the Green Bay area was deemed to be too heavy (too much silt and clay) a sandier substitute was used. That substitute was brought in from a supplier over the border in Illinois near Waukegan. This friend of mine swears that he was told the soil they brought in came from soil removed during the recent Soldier Field renovation. So in effect, we now have the storied Green Bay Packers playing on grass from New Jersey sitting on dirt from Soldier Field their biggest rival!

The Pack's record in Lambeau seems to at least taken a turn for the worse since they started playing on Soldier Field dirt in any case. They've only had two winning records at home during the previous six years and with the loss to the Bengals are now a modest 27 - 23 (.540) since. Hardly the stuff of legends and in-Vince-ability I'd say.
The Pack's record at Lambeau since 2003 is far superior to their record at Lambeau after Bart Starr and before Brett Favre.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Pack's record at Lambeau since 2003 is far superior to their record at Lambeau after Bart Starr and before Brett Favre.
True, but those teams in the 70's and early 80's were never very good. Since 2003 they have been very competitive but still under-performing at Soldier...er I mean Lambeau Field. Why would that be? Jeesh...the opposing teams are even partaking in the famed Lambeau Leap these days and being embraced and congratulated by the fans.

http://www.sportingnews.com/images/141430/article.jpeg (broken link)

Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Home field advantage? New Jersey sod farm grows Green Bay's famous turf - USATODAY.com

do I need to post the link to Pack's home won - lost record since 2003 for you as well?

take a chill pill Jr., you'd think I was insulting your mother or something.

Last edited by Ghengis; 09-22-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or