U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 AM

3,174 posts, read 4,637,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
You wouldn't know that he would of been a great jumper then wouldn't you if he just concentrated on high school football instead.
You're right. Nobody in football has any idea that Randy Moss is a great jumper. They've kept it a secret
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 11:07 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,397,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
If he were truly serious, I think a lot of teams would be willing to take a chance on him.
Bills should. We could use anyone now.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
I'm a believer that great athletes would generally be at least good athletes in other sports, had circumstance led them there or had they fully given their hearts and time to the other sports. Tiger Woods probably has better hand-eye coordination than you'd find in a great MLB hitter. Had Jordan not finally made the hoops team in 11th grade, maybe with all his focus he ends a baseball great. I'm sure with all his athleticism and competitiveness, Michael Phelps could have made in other sports. Although your average soccer player is probably 5'10", I'd say Kobe would have been a good one there (even has a background in it).

Not saying they'd be better in other sports, but I do think the difference between a very good athlete and great one is more than physical, and LeBron certainly has that greatness factor.

Like I said in another thread, Jim Brown was arguably the greatest lacrosse player ever.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,453,739 times
-------Lebron believes he could star in NFL-----

Brock Lesnar thought so also

Bo Jackson thought he could star in major league baseball

Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 PM

3,174 posts, read 4,637,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-------Lebron believes he could star in NFL-----

Brock Lesnar thought so also

Bo Jackson thought he could star in major league baseball
And almost did. Without his hip problems, I believe he would have made it. Granted, his batting average was below .250, but he possessed unbelievable power AND unbelievable potential.

I was at a KC/Minnesota Twins game at Royals stadium way back years ago when Jackson hit the highest fly ball I've ever seen in my life. This ball was so far above the lights it was indescribable. Yes, it fell just beyond the left field fence for a homerun.

This man, had he been healthy, could have done things unheard of by most any "non-juiced" athlete.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,012,722 times
Something tells me his career in the NFL wouldn't be a very lengthy one. As a TE let's see how he likes getting plowed going across the middle after a catch. A few of those and I think he'll prefer sticking with basketball.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
I don't think it would phase him much - let's not pretend that you don't get any contact in basketball

He bounces up real fast when getting knocked out of the air while driving to the basket and falling to the hardwood

the wizards tried a "jordan rules" type defense on him, pretty much abuse him whenever he gets near the rim

he just played through it and beat them - pretty impressive

Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,012,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
- let's not pretend that you don't get any contact in basketball
You're seriously not comparing basketball to football in terms of contact and taking a hit are you? Sure there's some bumping and elbowing going on but most of these 7' ballplayers fall down like a feather after getting bumped in order to draw a foul. It's almost as bad as soccer. So let's not pretend that basketball is as grueling as football when it comes to contact. I just don't think Lebron wants to earn his money the hard way getting drilled going up for a pass in 20 degree weather when he can be trotting up and down the court in his shorts and tank top not having to worry about a safety or cornerback blasting him in the ribs.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
you have just as many basketball players sustaining injuries from falls as you do WRs taking shots

falling from 6-8ft in the air and landing on wood is every bit as unpleasant as a shot to the ribs

the contact you will find in the post will be similar to the jousting that goes on between receivers and DBs

other positions take different shots, but that isn't what is being talked about

as far as the two sports? - of course he would take basketball - he's a top player in the game and has a far greater salary potential and less long term wear and tear

it doesn't mean he isn't physically capable though of the other

just because someone doesn't do something doesn't mean they can't do something

guy is 6'8" and comes in between 260-270 and is built solid - he has the body to absorb punishment and dish out his own

remove names and have a guy with his build come out of the draft and there would be few questioning the physical attributes

Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 PM

623 posts, read 1,349,354 times
Quote:
you have just as many basketball players sustaining injuries from falls as you do WRs taking shots
That's just absurd.

Quote:
the contact you will find in the post will be similar to the jousting that goes on between receivers and DBs
Does the interior defender slam the offense player to the floor after he gets the ball?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or