Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times

Advertisements

no it isn't

WRs tend to get hurt more from making cuts, straining muscles, pulls, etc ..... very few get hurt from taking a shot after catching the ball

look at that kid from ohio state - kid broke two vertabrae without contact - just the momentum from getting caught on the rim and then falling to the ground

then again, falling from 6 feet in the air flat to the hard wood with no body protection at odd angles provides no risk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Most NBA players fall intentionally to draw a foul. Never in my life have I seen 7' elite athletes go down so easily from a tap.

I don't doubt that Lebron is an excellent athlete who could probably play well as a TE, but I just don't think he'd stick around the league too long. He can make more money playing it safe as a basketball player in a temperature controled arena than getting banged up on a cold and/or sloppy football field. There aren't many TE's or WR's out there making $15M per year with the exception of Moss or someone of his ability.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Most NBA players fall intentionally to draw a foul. Never in my life have I seen 7' elite athletes go down so easily from a tap.
absolutely not true

there are those who flop for sure - however many more will absorb contact to hold position - the floppers are a definite minority

many will not fight the fall, but they are usually the guards or other guys in there trying to take a charge on a break ..... they have a 200 lb guy leaping into them, it's going to be a foul, when the contact hits control your fall and both players walk away OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't doubt that Lebron is an excellent athlete who could probably play well as a TE, but I just don't think he'd stick around the league too long. He can make more money playing it safe as a basketball player in a temperature controled arena than getting banged up on a cold and/or sloppy football field. There aren't many TE's or WR's out there making $15M per year with the exception of Moss or someone of his ability.
the issue isn't to compare the two salaries or what is more desirable .... more of a could he do it

as stated earlier, there is a lot more cash in basketball and a lot less wear and tear overall

however, if basketball didn't exist and he grew up playing football I don't know why he wouldn't stick around that long

his option would be football or no professional sports - he's an athlete at a level where if he trained his entire life for football I think he has the hands, size, frame, athletic ability to be in the picture ..... it's also commented that he gets the cerebal elements of basketball so he could/should have the ability to learn some routes

i'm not saying that he would be a hall of famer if football was his focus, but I don't think it's unreasonable that he could do it

I don't think any of the 7 footers would be able to do it and I think a lot of the guards would struggle to find a place as well (maybe some LBs, RBs or CBs in there - a couple of the thicker guards have the frames for it)

just like I don't think a lot of the NFL players have frames or skill sets that would translate into basketball - however there are guys like randy moss who probably could of been a pretty good ball player - terrell owens as well

and I guess a good measure to basketball to football comparisons would be the # of power forwards that are converting into TEs

another good position match seems to be PG and QB

Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 20,563 times
Lebron could be a force in the NFL. Antonio Gates made the transition from a college bball player at Kent State to being one of the best TEs in the NFL. Thing with lebron is he's definitely athletc enough, and has the size to be a DOMINANT WR in the NFL.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:39 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,303,910 times
**** Lebron, he is not that good of a basketball player!
Definitely not a team player!
Most overrate player ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Marka; 12-22-2009 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: cut quote

Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,555,749 times
I hope not. He's successful in basketball already. Why change?

Last edited by Marka; 12-22-2009 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: cut quote

Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 AM

806 posts, read 2,883,483 times
This debate is shallow and pointless. It's as if he'd be the first to attempt and become a successful two sport star! He even played football in high school, for crying out loud, so his ability isn't in question. Here you go for a few examples of those that have excelled:

Two-Sport Stars

They left out Deion and Bo too for some reason, who I believe were track phenoms as well.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Bo Jackson thought he could star in major league baseball
Bo Jackson's OPS+
1986: 66
1987: 94
1988: 108
1989: 124
1990: 142
1991: 107 (injured)
Career: 112

For anyone who doesn't know OPS+ measures a player's hitting ability vs the league average. For example, in 1990 Bo Jackson was 42% better than an average player. This season, for comparison, Alex Rodriguez had a 147 OPS+. Bo was clearly getting better every season. Bo Jackson was a tremendous baseball player.

[/side topic]

I think LeBron could be a very good NFL Tight End. I think he's pretty happy that he can hoop a little too.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

111 posts, read 188,463 times
what about QB?

He has size, height, agility, should be able to throw a ball fairly accurately.
I think he may have been a decent QB had he started young.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 AM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times
I don't doubt Lebron could be a good tightend.

One thing to remember though is that many of these sports the stars have an advantage specific to that sport that may not translate. Michael Phelps for example has HUGE feet...that's not going to help him elsewhere.

One guy that comes to mind is Jud Buechler who was a deep bench player for the Bulls on one of the Jordan teams and had a modest NBA career. He also played pro sand volleyball and I'd heard that had he focused on that he could have been a top guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football