U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,764,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
If the owners can decide where and when they want to move their team, and the heck with what the community and fans want, I think they should foot the whole bill for building these new stadiums and not expect the taxpayers to do it for them.

The fans have a chance to voice their opinion by purchasing tickets and merchandise. If they are not doing that and the owner is not maximizing profit or making any profit at all, they will sell the team, move it, or fold it. This goes for any business whether it is a sports team or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,138,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp83 View Post
IMO, the Bills already play 4 out of their 8 home games in Toronto. I can see the Bills moving to Toronto permanently.
In your opinion, the Bills play 4 home games in Toronto already? WTF are you talking about?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,228,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Canada don't want an NFL team. Canada don't need an NFL team. Bills move. it'll be in the country and not to LA. Cali already has the Chargers whom i like and the 49ers. Dont need a 3rd team
Honestly, I don't even know why the Bills name came up in this. Buffalo may be a small market, but at least you guys care about your team.
I'd bet if L.A. had a team and they lost their first game, the fans would drop whatever little support they have....

As we all know, the Jags seem to be the team everyone wants to move. Personally, I'd wish they would stay because I actually like 'em. But business is business and I guess they have to move. But damnit, they better NOT go to L.A..... I'm tellin' you, San Antonio is the team's best bet.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,758,449 times
Any talk about "L.A. doesn't need an NFL team because we have USC" makes steam come out of my ears.

There is no comparing college and NFL football. None. Not even SC.

L.A. should have a team and I hope they get one. If it wasn't for an extremely greedy woman named Georgia, the Rams would still be in L.A. Personally, I hope the Rams return to L.A.

Build that stadium now and fill 'er up!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM

4,579 posts, read 7,083,709 times
San Diego always sells out and sells plenty of merchandise...the owner makes alot of $$$ from the Chargers so making money is not the issue. The issue in SD is that the owner wants the city to pay for part of the new stadium, a Super Bowl quality stadium...City of SD is broke, so they have been going back and forth for quite a few years now. There have been and still are several locations being discussed but with the pressure of this new LA stadium being built, they are going to have to make a decision here pretty soon. Qualcomm Stadium is in a perfect location, all they needed to do is tear it down and rebuild, but the bureaucrats screwed that up. It will be a sad say if the San Diego Chargers become the LA Chargers.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
San Diego always sells out and sells plenty of merchandise...the owner makes alot of $$$ from the Chargers so making money is not the issue. The issue in SD is that the owner wants the city to pay for part of the new stadium, a Super Bowl quality stadium...City of SD is broke, so they have been going back and forth for quite a few years now. There have been and still are several locations being discussed but with the pressure of this new LA stadium being built, they are going to have to make a decision here pretty soon. Qualcomm Stadium is in a perfect location, all they needed to do is tear it down and rebuild, but the bureaucrats screwed that up. It will be a sad say if the San Diego Chargers become the LA Chargers.
I agree. The Chargers are the only California sports team i like....

Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM

32,455 posts, read 60,028,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
[what NFL players want to live in those little cities?].
NFL players who like to breathe in cleaner air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You do understand that cities dont get NFL teams? Owners have NFL teams and choose where they place their team. It isnt about a city getting a chance at anything. It is about an owner acquiring a current NFL team and submitting a request to the other owners and the league for a relocation or a current owner submitting the request.
More accurately, it's about an owner a) whining that he/she isn't making enough money; b) finding out which cities' elected officials will be most likely to sell their souls in corporate welfare; and c) strong-arming the other owners into agreeing with him/her.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

2,625 posts, read 10,250,379 times
bring back the raiders!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,269,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Those little cities???? Those so-called little cities probably have way more pride in their sports teams than where you live. If LA was able to support an NFL team then we would not be watching the Rams in St. Louis or the Raiders in Oakland. All this is is some big shots throwing money around and saying maybe we should get an NFL team here because they see the earning potential of having a NFL team in LA regardless of what the fans think and they want in. Its all about money, and I personally say is they can take their pile of cash and shove it up their ....
You are right. The city of Los Angeles won't tax the citizens for a NFL team because they don't want to spend the money on fixing the Coliseum Governor Schwarzenegger is involved in getting the NFL back to LA so it is just a matter of time. Hardly anyone follows the Rams since they left LA a long time ago but the Raiders have a big following. But probably it is the Chargers that most people root for.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are right. The city of Los Angeles won't tax the citizens for a NFL team because they don't want to spend the money on fixing the Coliseum Governor Schwarzenegger is involved in getting the NFL back to LA so it is just a matter of time. Hardly anyone follows the Rams since they left LA a long time ago but the Raiders have a big following. But probably it is the Chargers that most people root for.
I knew someone from L.A. (Raiders fan) who said himself that L.A. doesn't need a team since everyone there is either a Chargers fan or Raiders fan.

I believe em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or