Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make a prediction here; well, maybe more than one:

• LA will get the next NFL franchise. That's no prediction. That's fact. There is nothing to argue about on this one.

• It could come from expansion or, far more likely, moving an existing team.

AND MY MOST IMPORTANT POINT: An existing team would not be either the 49ers, Raiders, or Chargers.

These are tough times. Very tough. I would be surprised that any area could build a super stadium today, even Los Angeles. Sports taj mahals (a term once used for Dodger Stadium) come in the form of Yankee Stadium and Cowboys Stadium; if there is a third to that trio, it will be the Giants/Jets new complex. All three are very recent additions. And all three would not have been built if they if the process had begun three of four years later than it did. They are the last of the dinosaurs. Anyone who thinks America will go back to the era when such palaces could be built with no worry of where that money was coming from nor the implications of its expenditure live in a dream world in the LA area itself, near the Rams' old Anaheim digs with a mouse and a castle representing a simpler and less realistic time.

San Francisco, Oakland, or San Diego will not lose a team to Los Angeles because the state of California would have to be some sort of player (although hardly a funder...it can't' it's broke) of a new stadium, even one, as planned, with private funding. There is no way that the state government will play political suicide in any support for a new stadium. The issues here are far more complex than when existing stadiums allowed intra-state moves from Oakland to LA to Oakland for the Raiders and LA to Anaheim for the Rams.

Today, money is tight. Getting the deal done is far tougher. And in fighting is far greater and all of this effects franchises that wish to move within the state.

The state is involved in this process, even if that involvement in perhipheral such as highways to access stadiums. And it doesn't want to see cities pitted against cities. It doesn't want to see Oak vs. LA or SF vs. LA or SD vs. LA. And it also doesn't want to see SF vs. Silicon Valley.

My prediction:

LA gets an out of state team (probably the Jags)

the 49ers aren't going to LA or (against conventional wisdom here) Santa Clara for when push comes to shove in these hard times, SF is more capable of ponying up the public money needed for a private Niner stadium than the South Bay is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Bringing this thread up to date. Daniel NC, use this thread. I've deleted the one you started. There are a few other threads on this subject that are a few months old with extra commentary.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM

167 posts, read 435,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
L.A. shouldn't have an NFL team.... they can't keep one!

This city had THREE teams.... and couldn't keep ONE!

Jags should move to San Antonio, where they appreciate pro football. As for the Bills, they shouldn't move. But if they ever do, it will be Toronto, NOT L.A.
If your gonna rag on LA every chance you get why comment then. Besides any real NFL fan should know that the Raiders and Rams left because LA and Anaheim would not bend over and pay for new stadiums when the teams had the money to do it themselves. They did not leave because there are no football fans here. The Chargers left because of low attendence, but they were an expansion team competing against a well established Rams team, the Chargers did not stay long enough to develop a real fanbase.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
An article I read said that other possibilities include San Francisco, San Diego, Minnesota, St. Louis and Oakland.
For a long time I was saying there's no way it could be Minnesota, but as a Vikings fan living in Chicago, I kinda hope Chicago would bid for a second NFL team. This town has enough sports passion and a big enough market to support it. Crossing fingers.

P.S. Minnesotans don't understand the value of having an NFL franchise. They complain about the tax to build a stadium, yet they think they should get to watch football for free on their TV's.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM

67 posts, read 72,220 times
Jacksonville Jaqs should move to LA

Old 06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
If your gonna rag on LA every chance you get why comment then. Besides any real NFL fan should know that the Raiders and Rams left because LA and Anaheim would not bend over and pay for new stadiums when the teams had the money to do it themselves. They did not leave because there are no football fans here. The Chargers left because of low attendence, but they were an expansion team competing against a well established Rams team, the Chargers did not stay long enough to develop a real fanbase.
No one's ragging on L.A.

Well, not me at least. But still, I know people from L.A. who don't even want a team. I personally would rather have San Antonio get the team before L.A. does, but I don't control the team.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
There are a lot of people in LA that don't care if they have a football team there. But there are still a lot of people who do want to have a football team too. I for one have been waiting since 1995 for a team to go back to LA. With no team in Los Angeles, I am tired of being a free agent fan.

Quote:
No one's ragging on L.A.

Well, not me at least. But still, I know people from L.A. who don't even want a team. I personally would rather have San Antonio get the team before L.A. does, but I don't control the team.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM

167 posts, read 435,249 times
Quote:
No one's ragging on L.A.

Knowing a couple people from LA doesnt reflect the overall consensus, also remember that the LA metro area is very big and a new team could be able to draw from LA as well as the Valley, IE and Orange County. So just because some people in LA don't want a team doesnt mean people in nearby SFV, SGV, OC, IE and other LA suburbs dont want one.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,820 times
LA doesn't deserve a team. Let them have Super Bowls, I'm OK with them building a Stadium for that purpose.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
I agree that LA will get the next nfl franchise via relocation. This is going to happen not because the area deserves a franchise----it all boils down to dollars and cents.

The nfl is a league that thrives due to a large extent on its enormous television income. When the next round of contracts are negiotiated, I am certain the nfl will want a franchise in LA so it extract more coin from nbc, cbs, fox, and espn. Having a franchise in LA will increase the potential tv audience on the west coast and possiblly drive up nfl ratings nationally in addition to ad revenues.

Having a nfl franchise in LA will also drive Memobilia sales up on the west coast and also add on to unlimited additional marketing schemes the nfl may have in mind for that area.

LAs past performances in support of nfl franchises is dismal and based solely on that criteria the area does not automatically deserve another franchise. However, based on potential projections and tv scenarios the jury is in and LA will get another shot shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football