U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times

Advertisements

I commend the NFL for shaking it up, people have been complaining about how awful the probowl is for a long time. I have been a big NFL fan my whole life and never sat down to watch the pro bowl. They realize its a sinking ship and they are trying despereate things to save it. I bet the whole thing will be gone within 5 years or so...or at least changed significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
They realize its a sinking ship and they are trying despereate things to save it. I bet the whole thing will be gone within 5 years or so...or at least changed significantly.
That's an interesting observation. If the league itself thinks of the Pro Bowl as a sinking ship, why get desperate and try to save it? Let it die a quiet death.

Then again, I suppose things could actually be worse. Suppose some genius in the league office decides that an NFL All-Star game should be patterned after baseball's. If there's one thing we absolutely do not need, it's an interruption right in the middle of the season to accommodate such an event (and that's not even saying anything about a resulting extension of the regular season. The Super Bowl played during the third week of February? Heaven forbid!)

Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,374,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Dumb idea.

Look, if the Leauge wants to do this, then switch the games. The Super Bowl should ALWAYS come first. And enough with these two week waits for the biggest game of the year!
Agreed.
I'm used to the ProBowl being after the SuperBowl.
Now we have SuperBowl players being forced to sit out of SuperBowl practice...they can't play and risk an injury.

One good thing....John Madden will be able to make it to this one

Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
I watched the first drives of the Pro Bowl. The NFL should have worried about any of the players showing up at ALL. Mario Williams basically quit on a clean sack and the CBs are letting folks run by them. I'm done.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Well my choices tonight was the Grammys or the Probowl

Result

"Currently watching Probowl with 35 secs left in the 3rd qtr"

Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,452,346 times
I turned it to the Pro Bowl and watched it for about 2 minutes, then I turned it cause they arnt even trying to play, they just showed up to play a pick up game, but that is expected and its a dumb idea to host it in Miami.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM

735 posts, read 1,447,933 times
It doesn't matter when they play this weak game, it will always be unwatchable. Looking at the highlights of the "shootout" on SC, it looked like a lot of defensive players didn't want to tackle anyone, and why should they? It's a meaningless exhibition game. Why take a chance at getting injured? A preseaon game with players that eventually get cut is better entertainment than the All-Pro game.

Oh, and what a great lineup we had there too. The 3 AFC quarterbacks were Matt Schaub, Vince Young, and David Garrard. The 7th, 18th and 17th best QBs in the AFC according to passer rating. I don't know if I should laugh, or cry.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,374,356 times
I like watching it purely for the entertainment value.
I like hearing the different players as they're mic'd up.
And, also, getting more of an "inside look" at the play-calling. Since there's so many different styles being represented, there's far fewer 'code words'.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 AM

19,357 posts, read 17,472,378 times
I don't watch it because it just doesn't mean anything. The All Star game in baseball does mean something. But one gripe this year and to a certain extent every year: I always hear at least one Cowboys fan say " The Cowboys are going to win the Pro Bowl.", or "Did the Cowboys win the Pro Bowl? " Gahhhh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or