Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,983,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Most of the Giants fans I know hate the Jets. Then again, most Giants fans I know are just haters in general.
NOOO! Giants fans JUST hate the EA-GALS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,494,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frigid View Post
My concern is that this cinderella run is going to have a similar effect.
The Jets strike me as this team and fanbase with a major inferiority complex, that any wiff of success they will flare their chests out and be incredibly overactive to.
I have a question for you: how old are you? It doesn't appear that you're old enough to know an awful lot about the history of football in New York. Whether either the Jets or Giants are doing well, or badly, or one doing well while the other isn't, has no effects on the other team's popularity. The fan bases remain the same. What changes is the reporting in the local media. And, of course, the number of bandwagon-jumpers.

I'm also curious to know why you refer to the Jets as making a "cinderella run." I guess you don't think this is any more than a flash in the pan, and they're going to revert to losing next year while, apparently, the Giants go straight to the Super Bowl. You may have to do some revising of your theories.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,014,969 times
How does the fanbase break down in North Jersey?

I don't know much about NYC football fanbase so this is interesting. Seems like the Jets=Mets.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM

10,168 posts, read 20,718,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The Jets fanbase is centered in Queens and Long Island due to the Shea Stadium roots. Jets fans are a much more loyal group of fans than the front running Giants fans who seem to swell up every time their team makes a playoff run. In contrast Jets fans are people of character that a remain true in times good and bad.

Some of these lukewarm Giants fans are in the process of a green conversion as the Jets march towards super bowl glory. This will only a temporary move; as the Jets lose their luster in 10 years these frontrunners will be back to "Big Blue".
That's a pretty bold claim, especially since Giant Stadium was always packed even during the lean mediocre years of the 70's, early 80's and parts of the 90's while Jets tickets were comparitively easier and cheaper to get. The Giants are NOT the Yankees of the NFL, that distinction belongs to the Cowboys.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,774,871 times
Quote:

This decade and especially the last two seasons have belonged to the Giants.
They have been the unquestioned dominant team in NY popularity wise.

Just how big a threat/challenge does this Jets run have?
Being of dual allegiance(Giants and Jets fan), i think i'm entitled to give an answer. I didn't expect the Jets to get this far, and i won't be super upset if their season ends on Sunday. I won't be upset because i see them returning to the postseason for at least the next 2 seasons. The Giants on the other hand, are a mess and will continue to be a mess for quite awhile. As proud as i am of their Super Bowl 42 win, honestly, it was a fluke. Accorsi's decision to get Eli is going to end up causing long-term pain for the organization, and Coughlin's best days were left back in Jacksonville.

I'm not confident that they'll be competitive for at least the next 2 years, and i doubt that they'll be smart enough to bring in Cowher, so i'll be expecting(but not hoping for) them to stink up the NFC East for a good 4 years. Bad times ahead for Big Blue.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,219,512 times
Quote:
The Giants have been the dominant number one NFL team in the NYC region for most of the Jets time.
However, in the late 90s, when the Jets got Parcells and VinnyT they had a one year run to the AFC Championship game.
They started to act like they owned this town, that they were the "in" team and the Giants were the old.
That fireman ed, the biggest tool and poser out there, along with "J-E-T-S" chant (Which they stole from the Giants....look at film from the 80s and you will see Giants Fans at Giants Stadium were chanting G-I-A-N-T-S) were very annoying.

A lot of this "cooled" after 1998...but still 98-99 it seemed the Jets got all the airtime and were acting like they were number one in New York.

My concern is that this cinderella run is going to have a similar effect.
The Jets strike me as this team and fanbase with a major inferiority complex, that any wiff of success they will flare their chests out and be incredibly overactive to.

Just how big a threat/challenge does this Jets run have?
If the Jets lose this week....will it have much impact?
If the Jets win...same thing...and if they win the whole thing.

Just wondering if this is 1998 all over again with having to endure the media and their fans acting we are the 2nd class team or if we still got enough goodwill (especially with a Jets loss Sunday) to withstand our dominance.
I mean already there is a "Pep" rally for them today.

Why are you jealous? why cant you just share in the moment?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
I have Mike Francesa streaming over my laptop and what just came out of his mouth?

"The Jets don't have anyone good on defense".

LOL Mike, c'mon now.
Did he really say that. I know he swears he's not biased but he says some thing that make you shake your head. I'm surprised he would say something like that though because he's been raving about Revis, even said Revis should have won DPOY and has likened him to Deon Sanders...

Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
How does the fanbase break down in North Jersey?

I don't know much about NYC football fanbase so this is interesting. Seems like the Jets=Mets.
At one time moreso, now not as much. I know lots of Jets/Yanks fans including myself.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Being of dual allegiance(Giants and Jets fan), i think i'm entitled to give an answer. I didn't expect the Jets to get this far, and i won't be super upset if their season ends on Sunday. I won't be upset because i see them returning to the postseason for at least the next 2 seasons. The Giants on the other hand, are a mess and will continue to be a mess for quite awhile. As proud as i am of their Super Bowl 42 win, honestly, it was a fluke. Accorsi's decision to get Eli is going to end up causing long-term pain for the organization, and Coughlin's best days were left back in Jacksonville.

I'm not confident that they'll be competitive for at least the next 2 years, and i doubt that they'll be smart enough to bring in Cowher, so i'll be expecting(but not hoping for) them to stink up the NFC East for a good 4 years. Bad times ahead for Big Blue.
I think Giants will be back. The GM is savvy and will get them back quick. They have a lot of talent on both sides and Eli is the least of their problems, he just had a pro-bowl year.

The Cowboys just re-upped Wade Phillips (who is Norv Turner NFC version) and the Eagles will probably go through a transition period. The Redskins just hired Shanahan but they are a year or two away minimum from being anything. The Giants are still very much in the picture in that division...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 01-20-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM

68,282 posts, read 54,070,915 times
Quote:

Really? Who'd they beat in the playoffs this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football