U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,763,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think Giants will be back. The GM is savvy and will get them back quick. They have a lot of talent on both sides. The Cowboys just re-upped Wade Phillips (who is Norv Turner NFC version) and the Eagles will probably go through a transition period. The Giants are still very much in the picture in that division...
Don't forget about Washington though. If Snyder can keep his nose out of things, i'd have to expect Shanahan and Haslett to really turn things around down there. The Redskins could potentially be a scary team pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,189,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Don't forget about Washington though. If Snyder can keep his nose out of things, i'd have to expect Shanahan and Haslett to really turn things around down there. The Redskins could potentially be a scary team pretty soon.
Yeah he'll get redskins real good soon but I'm guessing it will take a year or two minimum. Snyder's dirty paws are all over that team...

Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
I think Giants will be back. The GM is savvy and will get them back quick. They have a lot of talent on both sides and Eli is the least of their problems, he just had a pro-bowl year.

The Cowboys just re-upped Wade Phillips (who is Norv Turner NFC version) and the Eagles will probably go through a transition period. The Redskins just hired Shanahan but they are a year or two away minimum from being anything. The Giants are still very much in the picture in that division...
I'm just going to say that don't read to much into that. If he fails this season to do anything, he has a 95% chance of being out of there.

*edit* and I was right. It's basically a 1 year deal with a 2 year option. So if he underperforms this season, he's liable to be gone.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
There are quite a few teams that have started to gel while the giants have loss some key players and started to slide. Just looking at the level of play of qaurterbacks in the NFL is unbelievable.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 PM

7 posts, read 7,084 times
Quote:
Let's not forget NYC area is primarily baseball crazy. While the Giants definitely have a bigger fanbase, there are many who follow both teams and tend to jump on bandwagons. Also it seems like amongst younger folks there a lot more Jets fans than in years past. If the Jets prolong this run for a few years I think they will eventually be pretty even with the Giants in terms of local coverage and fanbase, but Jets would need to put together another solid decade like this one and at least win one SB.
No...I think the Giants have as big an edge with the younger base.
The difference is Jet games have MORE younger fans than Giants games since Giants fans have been around longer.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The Jets fanbase is centered in Queens and Long Island due to the Shea Stadium roots. Jets fans are a much more loyal group of fans than the front running Giants fans who seem to swell up every time their team makes a playoff run. In contrast Jets fans are people of character that a remain true in times good and bad.

Some of these lukewarm Giants fans are in the process of a green conversion as the Jets march towards super bowl glory. This will only a temporary move; as the Jets lose their luster in 10 years these frontrunners will be back to "Big Blue".
There are many more hardcore AND softcore Big Blue than Jets fans.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Being of dual allegiance(Giants and Jets fan), i think i'm entitled to give an answer. I didn't expect the Jets to get this far, and i won't be super upset if their season ends on Sunday. I won't be upset because i see them returning to the postseason for at least the next 2 seasons. The Giants on the other hand, are a mess and will continue to be a mess for quite awhile. As proud as i am of their Super Bowl 42 win, honestly, it was a fluke. Accorsi's decision to get Eli is going to end up causing long-term pain for the organization, and Coughlin's best days were left back in Jacksonville.

I'm not confident that they'll be competitive for at least the next 2 years, and i doubt that they'll be smart enough to bring in Cowher, so i'll be expecting(but not hoping for) them to stink up the NFC East for a good 4 years. Bad times ahead for Big Blue.
I think you're a Jet fan and don't know much about the Giants.

Accorsi's decision to trade for Eli hurting them?
Yea, ok Eli is probably going to end up being the best QB in team history.
He already won them a Super Bowl (and yes he WON it, he was a major part, not a bystander like Sanchez for his TWO playoff wins) and has improved season by season.

How was the SB a fluke?
The Giants made the playoffs 4 straight years...it's not like they were 9-7 and then 7-9.
They made that playoff run in the midst of a great span were the also won 2 division titles.

They beat Dallas, GB, and NE and they did without needing kickers to miss FGs.
They got great QB play and an outstanding pass rush.
But yea, that was fluke.

The Giants are fine, if you were a fan (and you are not a fan nor knowledgeable about the Giants at all) you would know how good a QB Eli, how much he means to the Giants, you'd appreciate what he has and will do.
Coughlin has had his most success in NY with the Giants...uh he won the SB here...but yea...Jax was his glory days.

You just sound like a message board fan drinking Rex's coolaid.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah he'll get redskins real good soon but I'm guessing it will take a year or two minimum. Snyder's dirty paws are all over that team...
Why will he get the Redskins good?
Bruce Allen does not have a great record as a GM...ask TB.
Mike Shanahan...what did he do so good after Elway left?
I think the Redskins in the last 10 years have won more playoff games than Shanahan...and like those Broncos the Skins do NOT have a QB.

Why do you act like Shanahan is such a miracle worker?
He's not Parcells....the Skins are stuck as a team which overpays for so-so talent with back names...including coaches and GMs.

I don't understand how any Giants fan can grant them the benefit of the doubt because they hired a medicore GM and coach.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I have a question for you: how old are you? It doesn't appear that you're old enough to know an awful lot about the history of football in New York. Whether either the Jets or Giants are doing well, or badly, or one doing well while the other isn't, has no effects on the other team's popularity. The fan bases remain the same. What changes is the reporting in the local media. And, of course, the number of bandwagon-jumpers.

I'm also curious to know why you refer to the Jets as making a "cinderella run." I guess you don't think this is any more than a flash in the pan, and they're going to revert to losing next year while, apparently, the Giants go straight to the Super Bowl. You may have to do some revising of your theories.
The Jets run is totally different from the Giants.
The Giants didn't need two bad kickers to gift wrap them games.
They dominated TB and beat Dallas.

The Giants then actually WON the championship game and the Super Bowl.
The Jets just had a fluke run to the championship game thanks to playing chronic loser franchises.
Once they played a really strong team, they lost.

The Giants should have beaten GB in regulation, their kicker almost gave it away.
Also...the Giants in that span were in their 3rd straight year of being a playoff team...and the next year were 12-4.

They were no fluke...they started playing to their potential they had shown over the other seasons.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM

So...what's the impact since their run is over?

Have the Jets supplanted/equaled...or closed the gap?
By how much?

Are they more on stage than in 1998?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football