U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:09 AM

4,928 posts, read 4,005,022 times

Advertisements

Somebody please agree with me on this one or explain what I missed in regards to the Saints and Archie Manning?

The numebr one seeds are the Colts and the Saints. The networks would love to see thses two in the Super Bowl because one of the angles they could play up for a few hours on the pregame would be Peyton Manning's team vs his dad Archie Manning's old team
Now I saw the Saints play in person back when Archie Mannie was the QB. They were called the AINTS Archie Manning was a crappy quarterback, plain and simple. So why does everyone talk about how he was such a great QB on a crappy team? He was a good QB in college, but from everything I witnessed, with my own eyes, he was a crappy QB on a crappy team. I watched him play for the Saints. He stunk. Like his offense, his defense, his coaches.
NOW, And I am not that old, my memory has not faded that much and senilty has not set in yet. SO I think I am remembering what I saw and knew all along. So could someone please explain Archie Manning's legacy to me? Please ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,634,984 times
Archie Manning was one of the best quarterbacks in the league. His main problem was that he happened to play for some legitimately awful teams--he spent almost as much time picking himself up from the turf than he did trying to complete passes.

That one statement of yours takes some credibility away from your comments.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 AM

16,552 posts, read 21,069,609 times
I'm only going to go on memory here, but I think the chances are pretty good that Archie's quarterback rating back then in any of those seasons would have been average at best, most likely the interceptions would outnumber the touchdowns he tossed.

But I will defend Archie on one of the points LargeKingCat points out-lousy team, lousy quarterback, lousy coach. I would be hard pressed to name any Saint player that played from 1967 to 1980 that was a pro bowl player, in fact I can't think of anyone other than Archie as he went twice. From what I remember nearly all the years the Saints finished in the bottom of their division. But by the late 70's there was hope when Dick Nolan took over. I remember a 1979 game when the Saints and the Broncos played in Mile High Stadium. It was the only time I saw him play, and the Saints almost pulled it out. The weather was gawdawful that morning too! (I remember snowstorms, trust me on that one!)

But by 1980 the roof REALLY caved in. I think where the Aint's and wearing the bags over the fans heads got nationwide attention was the Monday Night game. It is nearly Thanksgiving (I think), and the Saints STILL haven't won a game yet. Monday Night Football cameras showed hundreds of fans in the stands wearing bags over their heads. I'm not exactly sure who they played, but by the halfway point of the 4th quarter it got to be a rout. I remember Howard Cosell getting on his soap box (as he usually did back then) but Cosell DEFENDED Nolan! He talked about how Nolan was one of the great players of the 50's and early 60's Giant teams (he was) and how the 49ers acted hastily as he left that organization as their head coach (they did).

While Cosell was talking, the look of absolute befuddlement on Dick Nolan's face was absolutely telling. And the cameras then showed Archie. The look on HIS face was just as sad, he was talking to his teammates (might have been shouting), and his head was going back and forth as if he spent that evening on a whirling dervish! Actually, he probably was that night.

I felt bad for Nolan, Archie, and the team. Their 13th season in the NFL and that game was the poster child for incompetance. That next day or two Nolan was fired.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-23-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 AM

16,552 posts, read 21,069,609 times
Thankfully Archie had mobility. And Danny Abramowicz, one of the more underrated wide receivers in the NFL in that era. If you don't have a good offensive line the quarterback is gonna get it. And it wasn't until the very tail end of Archie's tenure with the Saints that they DID acquire a good running back, who was George Rogers.

By that time, Bum Phillips took over the club, eventually brought Kenny Stabler over with him from Houston, and traded Archie to the Houston Oilers, who by that time really tanked because of Phillips' firing by Bud Adams, not one of Adams brighter decisions. And AGAIN Archie was stuck with one of the worst clubs in the league. Then he was traded to Minnesota, who went into a tailspin for a few years in the mid 80's before bouncing back. I believe Tommy Kramer was the Vikes qb at that time and Archie was basically a backup quarterback.

If only Archie could have linked up with a team that had a good supporting cast. If only.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 AM

6,784 posts, read 10,219,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Archie Manning was a crappy quarterback, plain and simple.
Yikes! it's a good thing my husband doesn't post on here. Archie is his childhood hero and what made him a Saints fan. When he was a kid he played QB on a terrible team, says he felt just like Archie. It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by a bunch of pigeons.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM

4,589 posts, read 7,103,940 times
they'll also play up that Peyton is from Louisiana and he played his college ball there didn't he? Good grief, they'll make him out to be a home boy. IMO, no QB that plays in a dome should ever be considered the Greatest QB of all time...

I don't like any of the Mannings. Archie manipulated the draft so that his kid wouldn't come to SD (poor poor Peyton)...what about all the other players who get picked for teams they'd rather not play for, there's plenty of them. I lost all respect for any of the Mannings.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM

623 posts, read 1,353,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
they'll also play up that Peyton is from Louisiana and he played his college ball there didn't he? Good grief, they'll make him out to be a home boy. IMO, no QB that plays in a dome should ever be considered the Greatest QB of all time...

I don't like any of the Mannings. Archie manipulated the draft so that his kid wouldn't come to SD (poor poor Peyton)...what about all the other players who get picked for teams they'd rather not play for, there's plenty of them. I lost all respect for any of the Mannings.
LOL. Just a bunch of fail.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,168,431 times
Quote:

To elaborate on VolDude's thoughts

1) Peyton went to college in Tennessee

2) Peyton plays in a retractable roof stadium and yes, road games too

3) ELI is the Manning that didn't want to play in San Diego

4) You mean like John Elway?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM

4,589 posts, read 7,103,940 times
I stand corrected on Peyton...it was Eli (same issue though), Peyton was born in Louisiana and did play high school ball there so he is a native son.

If everybody that got picked by a team they just didn't want to play for and threatened it sit out a season, the draft would be in turmoil and would defeat the purpose of having teams with losing seasons pick first to get better players in order to improve...but I guess that theory has gone by the wayside. Obviously, there are good trades made up and down the draft but it sets a bad example when someone blatently just won't play for a team that got the #1 pick. I say just let them sit out a year and lose the money and see how they do the next year in the draft.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I just don't like any of the Mannings.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,168,431 times
Quote:
If everybody that got picked by a team they just didn't want to play for and threatened it sit out a season, the draft would be in turmoil and would defeat the purpose of having teams with losing seasons pick first to get better players in order to improve...but I guess that theory has gone by the wayside. Obviously, there are good trades made up and down the draft but it sets a bad example when someone blatently just won't play for a team that got the #1 pick. I say just let them sit out a year and lose the money and see how they do the next year in the draft.
The thing you do not seem to understand is that very few players have any sort of leverage to dictate where they are drafted. If every player decided to sit out, then yes, concevably that could happen. Of course, that would never happen because you would never get 250+ players who have spent their life working towards a rare shot at the NFL to give it up because they would rather play in Miami than Detroit.

Eli Manning and John Elway are outliers, and anyone with an understanding of football knows this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or