U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,782,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Throwing a pick in that situation is a critical error no matter how you slice it.

The penalty took them out of field goal range, not the interception. No matter what Brett did, the game was going to OT. It is not a critical error when the play did not impact the end result.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,262,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The penalty took them out of field goal range, not the interception. No matter what Brett did, the game was going to OT. It is not a critical error when the play did not impact the end result.
If I remember correctly the field goal would have been 56 yards after the penalty. A long field goal (Longwell's career long is 55 IIRC) but certainly not impossible and would have been more manageable had he just got some positive yards, which he had available. It's entirely possible he could have gained the 5+ yards needed to move them right back where they were.

Did it ultimately end the game for them? No, but it took away the chance for a clutch player (Longwell) to win the game and completely eliminated the momentum they had in their favor to that point.

All in all, Brett Favre made the same dumbass type of play he's been making his whole career and it left his team's fate in the hands of a coin toss. Acting like it's alright and not Favre's fault because his team had a chance to bail him out is the same bull**** excuse people have been making for him for years.

Personally, I'm just glad I'll never have to worry about seeing him with another ring.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM

2,379 posts, read 3,074,037 times
Quote:
no way, Longwell was 8 for 8 over 50 yards in his last 8 kicks, 17 of 23 overall in the playoffs, he's money. favre even said in the post game that he had no idea how much he neede dto give Longwell a chance. REally?

he coujld've run easily for at least 5 yards, there was a guy in the flat 10 yards in front of him completely wide open he could've hit, instead he chose to throw across his body to a coverged guy. Typical Brett.

same with the cory webster pick in OT against the giants, there was a receiver wide open but he chose the guy double teamed.

and don't give me the excuse, he was hit alot so he didn't want to run , he's a professional QB who's played the game long enough, John Elway in SB 32 anyone?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,598,024 times
Quote:
How can that be the critical error when the penalty is what took them out of FG range? Favre had three options - run the ball, force the pass, or throw it away. None of those options would have led to a FG. I watched the replay multiple times last night and there were 4 Saints relatively close to Favre and when a QB slides, the ball gets spotted at the start of the slide. As banged up as he was, he wasnt making it very far. The interception was irrelevant. The only thing that would have made it relevant is if it was ran back for a TD and it was not.

It was a BIG INT because the Vikings were in FG range

Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
no way, Longwell was 8 for 8 over 50 yards in his last 8 kicks, 17 of 23 overall in the playoffs, he's money. favre even said in the post game that he had no idea how much he neede dto give Longwell a chance. REally?
He was 8 for 8 on those field goals but the longest of those was 54 yards and his career long being 55 yards.

Quote:
he coujld've run easily for at least 5 yards, there was a guy in the flat 10 yards in front of him completely wide open he could've hit, instead he chose to throw across his body to a coverged guy. Typical Brett.
I watched the replay multiple times and he had 2 Saints in front of him and 2 Saints to his left. He would not have made it 5 yards. He likely would of slid and a QB is down at the start of the slid, not the end.

Quote:
same with the cory webster pick in OT against the giants, there was a receiver wide open but he chose the guy double teamed.
Agreed.

Quote:
and don't give me the excuse, he was hit alot so he didn't want to run , he's a professional QB who's played the game long enough, John Elway in SB 32 anyone?
I never said he didnt want to run. I said the Saints players around him were going to be signifcantly faster than he was making it near impossible to gain much, if any, yardage.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It was a BIG INT because the Vikings were in FG range

No, they were not. The penalty pulled them out of FG range.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM

2,379 posts, read 3,074,037 times
Quote:

I watched the replay multiple times and he had 2 Saints in front of him and 2 Saints to his left. He would not have made it 5 yards. He likely would of slid and a QB is down at the start of the slid, not the end.
you , sir , are the only one who had this opinion, and plus there was a guy wide open in the flat right by the sideline he could've thrown it to.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,009,764 times
That's Brett Favre. Give him enough rope and he will hang himself eventually.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 PM

4,589 posts, read 7,109,052 times
so...will he or won't he be back in Vikings uniform next year. I think he will.

The real issue I see with Farve is that he really cannot see life after football. I don't think he can deal with being down on the farm, 12 months a year, for the rest of his life. And I don't see him going into broadcasting...maybe he could be a coach. His body is telling him it's time, but emotionally he just can't do it. He did have a great year, but can he do it again? And how long can the Vikings go without finding a quarterback of the future. They sort of have the same dilemma as GB, but GB had a good QB waiting in the wings, while the Vikings really don't. Maybe Farve should talk to Joe Montana....

Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,262,680 times
Quote:
No, they were not. The penalty pulled them out of FG range.
The penalty made it a 56 yard field goal. That's 1 yard longer than Longwell's career long, hardly "out of field goal range". Favre easily could have got the yards to make it less than a 55 yarder.

You people can make excuses for Favre all you want, but the simple fact of the matter is that Favre made another bonehead play that took away a chance for a true clutch player to make a game winning field goal.

Favre essentially brought the Vikings season down to a coin toss. If I was a Viking's fan I'd be leading the charge to have Brett run out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football