U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,529,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
apples to oranges

When the Vikings played in their first Superbowl ( 1970) I was 24 years old.

I am now 64 and the Vikings have lost 4 Superbowls and " blew" their chance of even getting to the Superbowl this year.

Turns out Brett Favre wasn't the " silver bullet" that the media predicted and the fans thought.

Oh well, maybe next year,or the next,or the next, or the next.
well maybe it wasnt Farvres fault at all then, perhaps your team is just cursed.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
well maybe it wasnt Farvres fault at all then, perhaps your team is just cursed.
or maybe they need 40 more years and 4 more tries.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
when BF does go into the Hall of Fame, will he go in as a Packer or Viking? Wonder how the people of GB will feel about it.
I think he will go in as a Jet

Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think he will go in as a Jet
or a falcon

Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,194,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
when BF does go into the Hall of Fame, will he go in as a Packer or Viking? Wonder how the people of GB will feel about it.
Are you really asking this question? Come on.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Are you really asking this question? Come on.
Yeah, I think its a good question, he spent so much time in GB, but was treated like crap in the end. I hope he goes as a Viking to spit in GBs face personally. Just because I lived most of my life in one town, doesnt mean I have to get burried there (analogy of course).

Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Yeah, I think its a good question, he spent so much time in GB, but was treated like crap in the end. I hope he goes as a Viking to spit in GBs face personally. Just because I lived most of my life in one town, doesnt mean I have to get burried there (analogy of course).
I hear you but I don't thin the players have the choice anymore.Look at what just happened in baseball with Andre Dawson.He wanted to go in as a Cub,but he will be going in as an Expo.Spending most of your career on one team,and then ending with 1 year as a Jet,and 1 or 2 years as a Viking and your only SB win was with GB. Why doesn't he go in as a Giant? How about as a Steeler? Buccaneer?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Quote:
Being good in college does not make you an NFL QB.
True, but that is only one line on his resume.

Quote:
Chicago was a solid team
Defensively, yes. Offensively they were pretty mediocre very conservative, run based game plans in an offense that didn't suit Orton's strengths, yet he consistently won games for them.

Quote:
and Rex was horrible.
Which makes it all the more laughable that they continually benched Orton in favor of him. They were simply bound and determined to use Grossman, even if it lost them games.

Quote:
Unfortunately Orton wasn't much beter
Orton was substantially better and has the win-loss record to prove it.

Quote:
and couldn't shake injuries.
He had one major injury while in Chicago.

Quote:
There are enough guys in the league that can easily step in and be an upgrade for the Broncos.
Like who?

Quote:
Even Pennington would be an upgrade
Pennington is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the history of the NFL and has a career passer rating of 90+. If it wasn't for the fact that he's twice torn up an already weak throwing arm, then he's an upgrade for 95% of the teams in the NFL right now.

Quote:
which does make Orton a scrub.
Sorry, but there isn't any place in reality where you can label Orton a scrub, especially after the season he had this year.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
True, but that is only one line on his resume.

Defensively, yes. Offensively they were pretty mediocre very conservative, run based game plans in an offense that didn't suit Orton's strengths, yet he consistently won games for them.

Which makes it all the more laughable that they continually benched Orton in favor of him. They were simply bound and determined to use Grossman, even if it lost them games.

Orton was substantially better and has the win-loss record to prove it.

He had one major injury while in Chicago.

Like who?

Pennington is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the history of the NFL and has a career passer rating of 90+. If it wasn't for the fact that he's twice torn up an already weak throwing arm, then he's an upgrade for 95% of the teams in the NFL right now.

Sorry, but there isn't any place in reality where you can label Orton a scrub, especially after the season he had this year.
Even Vinny Testaverde had a few good seasons but he was a scrub.Vick would be an upgrade,McNabb,Hasselbeck,David Carr,and Tavaris Jackson to name a few off the top of my head and most of these guys will be available for this season coming up. Orton also didn't have many major injuries but I never claimed that he did,my claim was they ALWAYS happened at opportune times when he took the job from Rex and then lost it by going out on injury.Face it,he'll never star in this league.He will always be mediocre at best.As for Pennington he is NOT a great QB and his numbers can mainly be attributed to a well balanced offense with many decent RB's but he has developed into a very smart QB and like Dan Marino he knows where to move in and out of the pocket.
When it came to Chicago it is 100% true that they felt the need that they had to play Rex,don't ask me why.I personally think he might have been the worst in the game.I guess when some coaches name a starter, they sometimes feel obligated to stick to their guns instead of knowing when to admit when they are wrong and move on.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 AM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Quote:
Even Vinny Testaverde had a few good seasons but he was a scrub.
Huh?!? He was the #1 overall pick and a 2 time Pro Bowler.

Quote:
Vick would be an upgrade
Hardly. McDaniels likes tall, smart, pocket passers, none of which describe Vick.

Quote:
McNabb
I'd be happy with him.

Quote:
Hasselbeck
Too old.

Quote:
David Carr
Hasn't had any significant playing time since 2007 and he was absolutely hammered while playing for the Texans.

Quote:
and Tavaris Jackson
A slightly taller poor man's version of Vick.

Quote:
Orton also didn't have many major injuries but I never claimed that he did,my claim was they ALWAYS happened at opportune times when he took the job from Rex and then lost it by going out on injury.
When did this happen?

Quote:
Face it,he'll never star in this league.He will always be mediocre at best.
People said the very same thing about Drew Brees when he was in San Diego, then he went to New Orleans with an offensive system that fit his talents and now he's a top 3 quarterback in this league.

Will Orton attain that level? It's not likely, but his career has mirrored Brees' so far. Besides, we don't need a "star" quarterback. We need a smart leader who can distribute the ball to our ample offensive weapons.

Quote:
As for Pennington he is NOT a great QB and his numbers can mainly be attributed to a well balanced offense with many decent RB's but he has developed into a very smart QB and like Dan Marino he knows where to move in and out of the pocket.
Sorry, but Pennington was an upper echelon quarterback for almost the entire portion of his career when healthy. He is easily one of the most accurate passers in NFL history (he actually owns the record for career completion percentage) and had he not been hampered by a weak arm (made worse by repeated injury) he likely would have been an all time great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football