U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,248,818 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to bump my post, just wanted to share a thought regarding my response to Haakon. Interesting. I've been perusing the football forums and people have spoken about AD fumbling, but the official box score doesn't reflect that. Why is it? Honest question. I'm assuming (since I didn't see the whole game), it must have been an exchange between him and favre and favre got tagged with the fumble.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,088,978 times
Brett has been a good qb his whole carreer. Still is better than most. But not for long.
IMO it was the 5 turnovers that cost the Vikes the game.
All of those weren't his fault. And the 12 men in the huddle penalty was crucial.
Stats showed that Vikes had almost double the yardage, close to double time of possesion.
TO's were the difference.
I hope he retires. I think he should have retired after leaving Green Bay instead of coming back to play for any team that would sign him for x amount of dollars.
I'm not a Vikes fan, or a fan of any team that played Sunday, but it was one heck of a game. Probably even better than the Super Bowl game will be. But time will tell about that.
If Brett wants to stay in football, I think he would make a very good qb coach.
His best playing years are behind him. But he could still teach.
I respect him for what he has accomplished in his career but I didn't like the multiple retiring and unretiring scenario.
It's time for him to move on to the next phase and admit he is an older man playing a young mans game and although he is still good he ain't what he used to be.
Youth and vitality doesn't last forever. And it wont be long until he is not as good as most. Age quarantees that in a tough sport like football.
I think he should give it up and be remembered as one of the great ones instead of trying to hang on and diminishing his status.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,688,908 times
Favre's year was one for the record books, but his hubris finally did his team and himself in.

Think back:

With seconds to go, the Vikings got that 5 yard penalty which pushed them just beyond field goal range. One more decent play, maybe 5 or 6 yards, and they had a real chance to win it.

But, the coverage was pretty good and Favre tried to force a pass which was picked off, giving life to the Saint's when everyone thought it was over.

What did Favre say after the game? "I should have run it."

But...he COULDN'T RUN IT because he was playing on what is probably a broken ankle! It was complete a pass or nothing.

Why was he still out there? They have a backup QB surely good enough for one play, one more pass or QB sneak to gain just a few yards. Favre could have, and should have, told the coach, "Put him in for this one play. I'm not able."

But, he didn't. His pride wouldn't let him even consider that and his team lost the game because of it.

What a shame. The Vikings played their hearts out and left it all on the field, but ultimately fell victim to one man's pride, one man who thought more of himself than he did his team.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,190,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
At least when Jordan retired,he really left.Favre retired so he could upgrade his team and not have to go to training camp and all without missing a regular season game.
Wrong. Jordan retired and came back...... TWICE!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,201,184 times
I can't believe the refs allowed the Saints players to keep drilling Favre the way they did - extremely late hits, and going for his throats with their helmets.

There needs to be SERIOUS fines levied against the cheap shot artists AND their dirty coaches.

Talk about home-field advantage! And despite the FACT that the refs were playing for the Saints, and the Vikings had all those turnovers, the Saints stiill almost lost.

I'm predicting a 42-point blow out by the Colts in the Superbowl.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,190,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I can't believe the refs allowed the Saints players to keep drilling Favre the way they did - extremely late hits, and going for his throats with their helmets.

There needs to be SERIOUS fines levied against the cheap shot artists AND their dirty coaches.

Talk about home-field advantage! And despite the FACT that the refs were playing for the Saints, and the Vikings had all those turnovers, the Saints stiill almost lost.

You need to be banned from ANY football talk.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 AM

52,083 posts, read 41,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Football is a team sport - you win as a team, you lose as a team.
See, that was the problem though the past two years.

Favre has a bad outing with the Jets and their D won the game and I had to hear about how "Favre was inspiring the defense". Then, he played HORRIBLY down the stretch that year but it wasn't his fault because he was hurt. Seriously, if he is hurt so badly that he is putting up passer ratings below the speed limit then he SHOULDN'T be in there, but oh wait there are those personal records to attain. Again, all the credit when they win and none of the blame when they fell apart and missed the playoffs.

Then the Vikings....

Last couple games of the regular season AP had 1 fumble and Brett had like 4INT's and they lost a couple games. AP got the blame for being "fumble prone".

Cutler plays an awesome game and beats Minnesota, greatly hurting their homefield chances and Favre didn't close things out in OT....and the commentators ignore Cutler and gush about Favre. (Ignoring his horrible first half against a below average team)

Don't forget, had they beaten teams like the Bears down the stretch....last nights game is played in Minnesota.

I like Brett, he's one of the all-time greats...I'm just sick of the media\commentators giving him all of the credit and none of the blame.

Can we give him a nobel peace prize also?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,532,040 times
Quote:

No, not a refs problem, you are allowed to hit the QB with in the rules and they hit him within the rules. Better pass protection would have been nice. We lost for the simple reason that we gave the ball back to the other team, when it wasnt there turn to have the ball. We lost because our QB would not run for 10 yards in an open field. Remember John Elways helicopter move? That type of run wins championships. We lost because we called heads, we lost because of pass interference we lost because......on and on and on, but the refs called a good game I thought.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM

6,779 posts, read 10,189,360 times
Quote:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah .

Dude this is football, players get knocked around.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,201,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
You need to be banned from ANY football talk.
Based on what criteria? That you're rooting for what is now the dirtiest team in the NFL? That it wasn't obvious - even to the announcers - that it was not pass interference in Overtime? That the Saints were allowed to repeatedly drill Favre - with their helmets to his chin - up to 2 seconds after he had released the ball?

It looks to me like YOU need to learn the rules of football!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football