U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM

4,672 posts, read 7,288,402 times

Advertisements

I'm from SD and loved to watch LT play, what he did for our city and the Chargers, and he is truly one of the few great superstars we have ever had here. That being said, it is sad to see what is happening and he will leave our city with bad feelings all around...he won't be back with the Chargers because he won't take a paycut and because of his recent comments. But will any other team want him as their #1 running back or use him in a lesser role as SD wanted to do? He said what he felt he need to say so right or wrong, I think he's burned his bridges with the team and management. Would another team want someone that outspoken?

I was appalled by the actions of some Charger players the days before and weekend of the playoffs, and don't understand why they can't curtail their partying until after a Super Bowl victory...just doesn't make sense, other than pure immaturity. There is one player I believe is a "cancer" within the team who will go nameless, but I wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

I have somewhat mixed feelings on what LT has said and done. All teams have the same issues as far as lots of money being thrown around, morals, partying, leadership (or lack thereof), etc. so I'm not sure LT is going to find it any different in another locker room, but I could be wrong there. There are coaches who seem to have much more control over their teams than Norv does. I remember the movie North Dallas Forty...characterizing Roger Staubach (leader of the Christian players) vs. Don Meredith (leader of the partiers)...so not much has changed over the years.

I'm not sure he stepped up to the plate to be a team leader either (but maybe he tried and was not accepted in that role).

LT is a finesse RB, and doesn't have the big body as some of the other greats. What he accomplished is such a short time was amazing and I'll always be happy (as a life long football fan) that I got to see him play in person.

I truly hope he finds the right place for himself and he has a few more great years. He is an outstanding family man, involved in the community and expecting his first child soon, so I wish him every happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 10,436,248 times
I though this thread was going to be about Lawrence Taylor.

Anyway, Tomlinson is a big boy he will be fine. As for the Chargers.......they disappointed me again this season. I've had them going to the SB for the last few seasons, never quite works out.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM

4,672 posts, read 7,288,402 times
sorry...should have named it "the other LT"

Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,145,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I though this thread was going to be about Lawrence Taylor.
Ha, so did I. I was expecting a picture of cocaine, handcuffs, and a breathalyzer. What a degenerate.

SDLT will move on and find another home to finish his NFL career (and possibly wind them the big one). Sometimes change is good - just look at Brees.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:20 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,903,602 times
He isnt necessarily gone from SD. He could resign for a lesser amount and a reduced workload.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,145,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
He isnt necessarily gone from SD. He could resign for a lesser amount and a reduced workload.
Think he would go for it?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,930,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
He already said he wouldn't. "I'm not coming back". LT is gone for sure.

I think he should just retire. No team is going to pay him what he thinks he is worth. All one has to do is look at the number of RB's that have rushed for more than 1000 yds that were 30 years old or older. Rapid decline comes at that age for most if not all RB's.

SD should try to get Bush, back home in SD, perfect fit. I'd give a 95% chance that RB is in SD next year.

Sproles + Bush + Rivers = A real SD SB run.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 PM

16,730 posts, read 21,471,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
He might have to. NeverGoingback has a good point of how the productivity drops with rb's who hit 30 years of age. I can't believe that his career would all of a sudden be over though. I've been critical of a number of San Diego Charger players but LaDanian certainly is NOT one of them. I'm aware of the knock on him regarding the injury in that one playoff game. He is closing in on 13,000 yards, I still think someone out there would want him, but yea, money DOES enter into the picture here.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM

664 posts, read 1,778,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
He already said he wouldn't. "I'm not coming back". LT is gone for sure.

I think he should just retire. No team is going to pay him what he thinks he is worth. All one has to do is look at the number of RB's that have rushed for more than 1000 yds that were 30 years old or older. Rapid decline comes at that age for most if not all RB's.

SD should try to get Bush, back home in SD, perfect fit. I'd give a 95% chance that RB is in SD next year.

Sproles + Bush + Rivers = A real SD SB run.
Agreed. Don't think he is really worth more.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Status: "What will the kooky leftists think up next?" (set 4 days ago)

7,165 posts, read 8,131,818 times
Whatever happens to LT, I wish him the best. With all the trash in (or related to) the NFL (Burress, Vick, Pacman, ect.), it is great to see a quality role model for a change. I think he's got 3 more good years in him, and any team would be lucky to have him on their roster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or