Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Janet and Justin pretty much blew it for the younger performers today. Now we get Paul McCartney,,,,,,Rolling stones,,,,,U2,,,,,Springsteen....
Bob Dylan.....etc .......The Who????

The old timers are safe! They ain't walkin; aroung half naked and having simulated sex on stage!

I'd like some variety if they are gonna keep this up. Why is it always rock bands??

How about some R&B??? GAP BAND,,,,,,MAZE,,,,,,,,,EWF,,,,,,bring lionel richie back with the Commodores!

Moderator cut: image removed

What do you think?

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Janet and Justin didn't blow anything for anybody. The reason why we have older performers in the halftime shows now is because of the FCC's dictator-like strong hold on what people should watch and this country's fear of sex/nudity. Yet we LOVE to see violence.

I mean, watching a bunch of guys pumped up with steroids, giving eachother concussions is fine, but one breast pops out and all of a sudden, we're all going to hell.

And there's nothing "safe" about live TV. What's to stop those old timers from doing something worse?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Janet and Justin didn't blow anything for anybody. The reason why we have older performers in the halftime shows now is because of the FCC's dictator-like strong hold on what people should watch and this country's fear of sex/nudity. Yet we LOVE to see violence.

I mean, watching a bunch of guys pumped up with steroids, giving eachother concussions is fine, but one breast pops out and all of a sudden, we're all going to hell.

And there's nothing "safe" about live TV. What's to stop those old timers from doing something worse?

You know it's true.....

People were highly upset about that performance! Has not been a young act on since!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You know it's true.....

People were highly upset about that performance! Has not been a young act on since!
I guess you didn't read the rest of that.....

Look, live tv is live tv. There's NO control over what's gonna happen.

And BTW, Janet Jackson's been around for a long time, so I wouldn't exactly say she ruined it for the "young" people. Also, it's not ALL rock, they did have Prince just a few years back...... and if I recall, at the beginning of his performance he played his guitar behind a curtain, but he simulated "playing with something else".

But not too many people cared.... why? Why does this get a pass? It's sexually suggestive, but it's not as big a deal. Is it because it's behind a curtain? Either way, it still has something to do with sex, yet no one cares. Hell, the only person I know that even said anything about it was Steven Colbert..... that says alot, doesn't it?

Keep in mind, there's really no such thing as "safe". The Who could go back to what they used to do and blow up half the stage and give people damage to their ears. But I guess that would be ok since it doesn't involve nuditiy.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Don't watch the halftime show if you dont like who is performing. Who cares. I watch the Super Bowl to see football, not some mini-concert in between. I could care less who plays in the halftime show.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Don't watch the halftime show if you dont like who is performing. Who cares. I watch the Super Bowl to see football, not some mini-concert in between. I could care less who plays in the halftime show.
Precisely.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Unfortunately, all this talking about what's coming up at halftime only points up the fact that the Super Bowl hasn't been a sports event for several years now. It's turned into a media circus. Stop for a moment and think about the players (remember them? They're the reason for the whole shebang in the first place), who have to sit around in a locker room during a two-hour concert extravaganza. When they finally come back out onto the field, they're cold. No way can they play the same game they were playing in the first half.

As a football fan--rather than a media junkie--I would like to see a 15-minute halftime, without any kind of show. All I care about is the game. And, of course, I'm obviously in the minority with such thinking.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 PM
JJG

I honestly don't care about the halftime show myself.

I'm just still trippin' off of why people are STILL talking about the whole Janet/Justin Halftime Show and why people in this country are so Prudish...

Folks, halftime shows are germs on an elephants ass. It's a small even sandwiched in between a bigger, more important game. Period. And we have to move on from the Super Bowl XXXVIII show. That was last decade people, move on!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
I don't know how you true gridiron fans stomach the commercialized crap associated with the Super Bowl. I'd go nuts if they bastardized the Stanley Cup Finals or UEFA Champions League final like they do with the Super Bowl. I mean...seriously... More people remember the halftime show and commercials than who won the damn game.

Last edited by Interpol76; 01-27-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Interpol76 makes a good point. I personally can give to ****s about any of the commercials. How's that for being crotchety? It is noteworthy however to see the major news networks, as well as the cable news groups, want to talk about which commercial was the best one, the wittiest one, etc., etc. Like Interpol stated, it seems that the commercials get talked about as much as the game itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football