Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Er, I mean 35 year aniversary, anyways...

This one almost slipped by me but in what many people (including Dick Button..."Nothing -- nothing, not even my own Olympic victories -- has ever moved me like that.") feel may be the greatest sporting event since those Greek sissies ran around a goofy-shaped oval nakid.

Ah revenge is indeed a dish best served warm (with a little sand).

Truly proof that the Vikings were vindicated for all the world to see for their loss to the Steelers just two weeks before and will be remembered by both mortals and the Gods in Vahalla for all eternity...

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Minnesota Vikings played in Super Bowl IX, but a few weeks later they competed in an even more memorable event - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Nice!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I recall watching and being really happy that we won. It was a small piece of dignity after the big loss. Still surprised we lost to a bunch of baseball players later, but the more I thought, only a couple events were strength based most were agility and speed.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
A more memorable event than the Superbowl? Geez, this is really reaching. I've never, ever even heard of this "memorable" event. I suppose that a Vikes fan wouldn't trade this "event" for all the Superbowl rings in the world.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
A more memorable event than the Superbowl? Geez, this is really reaching. I've never, ever even heard of this "memorable" event. I suppose that a Vikes fan wouldn't trade this "event" for all the Superbowl rings in the world.
You're either an extremely bitter individual who only wishes that their team would have reached this level of dominance or such a casual fan that the magnitude of this competition is too much for you to comprehend. Nobody remembers who won the 75 Super Bowl but ask any of those that witnessed this event and I'm sure that they would likely be too moved to speak.

Hurumph...you probably don't even know who Dick Button is! The name alone should cause you to pause for the reverence to which he speaks of.

We're invincible!

Last edited by Ghengis; 02-09-2010 at 06:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM

178 posts, read 361,036 times
wow, this is a typical vikings fan, yeah, we won a tug o' war in Hawaii but choked in the big game. but it's o.k. because we won a tug o' war in the sand.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
wow, this is a typical vikings fan, yeah, we won a tug o' war in Hawaii but choked in the big game. but it's o.k. because we won a tug o' war in the sand.
First off, I'm hardly a typical Vikings fan. Most of them up here are so wrapped up in the past failures that they are relieved when the Vikings make the annual seasonal exit and avoid a potential for another Super Bowl loss. Me, I will continue to savor the sweet taste of REVENGE no matter where I find it.

Secondly, I determine the means and methods of the revenge that gets metted out for prior losses not you Mrs. Ex-Lax. For instance, the Vikings quickly avenged the 1st loss to the Chiefs in 1970 with a resounding thumping of KC in the 1st game the following season...REVENGE was ours!

A few years ago I was in Miami Beach waiting at a light in my rental car (I always get the comp & loss/damage waiver for just these types of situations) when whom do I see shuffling through the crosswalk on the other side of the intersection but Bob Griese's grandmother! She must have heard me scream out because as I ran the light and accelerated towards her she ducked behind the traffic light pole and I was only able to ram her little grocery bag cart. "That will do for now!" I gleefully yelled as I raced off down the sidewalk showering the bystanders with sparks and grapefruits but REVENGE was ours once again!

I felt a little remorse for the old coot later when I read Griese's grandma died many years before when she was severely mauled by an alligator in her back-yard, but at least one Miamian has a new found appreciation for the power of REVENGE!

Last edited by Ghengis; 02-09-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,263 times
Good stuff ghengis. I don't know whats funnier, your posts or the guys not getting the shtick. You sure you don't want to come over to the "green and gold side", we could use a guy like you...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Good stuff ghengis. I don't know whats funnier, your posts or the guys not getting the shtick. You sure you don't want to come over to the "green and gold side", we could use a guy like you...
I think it's important to get the nincompoops to reveal themselves for all of our benefit.

Very humbled regarding your offer...this year has been satisfying in some regards but I think there may still be unfinished business left to complete. Not sure what that might be but it seems as if the season ended early. I haven't made up my mind what I will do next season at this point. I need to talk this over with my wife and dogs this off-season. I think it's unlikely that I will be back rooting for the Vikings but I just haven't made up my mind. I've generally enjoyed my time as a Viking fan but maybe it's time to hang it up. I'm sure if I just wait until the last minute they'll take me back so no sense making a decision until I have to. They say all good things must come to an end...blubber...sob.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:45 AM

723 posts, read 1,634,182 times
I remember the 79 Orioles beating the 79 Pirates on Superteams. Didn't make me feel any better as an Oriole fan though. That series was a heartbreaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football