U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Reputation: 2806

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
oh, it's got something to do with it...just not the only thing.

How so? A quarterback cannot win a Super Bowl by themselves. You can play the greatest season ever played by anyone in the position and not win a Super Bowl.

I never hear anyone argue about Barry Sanders not having a ring when he is called the greatest RB to ever play the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,936,167 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
How so? A quarterback cannot win a Super Bowl by themselves. You can play the greatest season ever played by anyone in the position and not win a Super Bowl.

I never hear anyone argue about Barry Sanders not having a ring when he is called the greatest RB to ever play the game.


good point, but, you would have to agree the QB plays a much more dominant role in executing the offense as a whole.

look, i'm not saying the sole attribute in looking at a QB's greatness would be how many SB's he's won...i'm just saying that, it definitely helps the situation. with that being said, i'm not going to argue Dan Marino's greatness...he is my books, one of the greatest ever.

back on topic, i think it's way mature to start considering Drew Brees as one of the greatest, he's got too much playing time ahead of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
good point, but, you would have to agree the QB plays a much more dominant role in executing the offense as a whole.

look, i'm not saying the sole attribute in looking at a QB's greatness would be how many SB's he's won...i'm just saying that, it definitely helps the situation. with that being said, i'm not going to argue Dan Marino's greatness...he is my books, one of the greatest ever.

back on topic, i think it's way mature to start considering Drew Brees as one of the greatest, he's got too much playing time ahead of him.

I see it like this: A great team with a mediocre QB can win a Super Bowl. A great QB on a mediocre team cannot.

Agreed on your last point. Longevity is one of the most important criteria for being considered great. For a quarterback, I think you need at least a solid 15 year career to be considered one of the greats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,936,167 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I see it like this: A great team with a mediocre QB can win a Super Bowl. A great QB on a mediocre team cannot.

Agreed on your last point. Longevity is one of the most important criteria for being considered great. For a quarterback, I think you need at least a solid 15 year career to be considered one of the greats.

what about a mediocre qb with a mediocre team?? how great was the steelers team that won SB's with big ben??

how bout a mediocre qb, mediocre team, with a GREAT coach??

haha! i bet we could have fun with this going through the past SB champs!

also, what about Kurt Warner??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
what about a mediocre qb with a mediocre team?? how great was the steelers team that won SB's with big ben??

how bout a mediocre qb, mediocre team, with a GREAT coach??

haha! i bet we could have fun with this going through the past SB champs!

also, what about Kurt Warner??
I think those Steeler teams were very good with a very good QB. I dont think Big Ben is a great QB but I think he is a very good one because he knows how to guide his offense to wins, especially when it matters.

Not sure what you mean by Kurt Warner. During his St. Louis days, I thought he was just a product of an outstanding team. But, after his time in Arizona, I think he is a very good, possibly great QB. It's too bad he didnt get into the NFL right away and have a full career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
what about a mediocre qb with a mediocre team?? how great was the steelers team that won SB's with big ben??

how bout a mediocre qb, mediocre team, with a GREAT coach??

haha! i bet we could have fun with this going through the past SB champs!

also, what about Kurt Warner??
No offense but the Steeler comment is a bad comparison.Big Ben is considered just beneath the top QB's in the league.He also had the #1 defense in the whole league.He had 2 solid RB's,one of the best tight ends,and 2 solid receivers.If the Jets,Denver,Chicago for example won the SB then your comment might be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,369 posts, read 18,012,722 times
Reputation: 18406
You know if Jim Kelly wins all four of those Superbowls he goes down as one of the greatest of all time along with Montana, but FOUR games is what keeps him out of the ongoing discussions and debates over great QB's. His numbers are pretty close to Montana's in stats and actually exceeds Steve Young in many categories, but he doesn't have a ring so he doesn't get the glory. To me that's wrong. Unfortunately, we don't have any one set authority on greatness. It's argues among fans, sports writers, coaches, players, and sportscasters, with no definitive authority. Same with all sports actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You know if Jim Kelly wins all four of those Superbowls he goes down as one of the greatest of all time along with Montana, but FOUR games is what keeps him out of the ongoing discussions and debates over great QB's. His numbers are pretty close to Montana's in stats and actually exceeds Steve Young in many categories, but he doesn't have a ring so he doesn't get the glory. To me that's wrong. Unfortunately, we don't have any one set authority on greatness. It's argues among fans, sports writers, coaches, players, and sportscasters, with no definitive authority. Same with all sports actually.
That's what I like about football.In basketball I don't think anyone will argue that Jordan was the best of all time with guys like Kobe and Lebron moving up.In football my pick is Dan Marino.He was a better passer then any of the other guys and his numbers are more impressive because all through his career he never had a star RB.If he did,the attack would have been balanced.Because he didn't the opposing team could guard against the pass,but he still put up the numbers he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 03:56 AM
 
28 posts, read 28,348 times
Reputation: 19
haha doubt it, it was just the saints time to be good, but next year theyre not going to have the "want" as bad as they wanted it this year... so breeeeze isnt going to be the best,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
125 posts, read 216,576 times
Reputation: 91
No way Brees becomes the best QB of all time even with another ring next year. However, he has definitely cemented himself in the elite Manning/Brady level.

I think championships and big wins should factor into a QB's historical context. But to say it is the only thing like some do is unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top