U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM

5,426 posts, read 6,396,757 times

Advertisements

he wins 1 more S.B?
or does everyone think (moderator cut-offensive) no one else will surpass the 'great' Peyton Manning?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-16-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,183,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
he wins 1 more S.B?
or does everyone still have Manning's mod cut thinking no one else will surpass the 'great' Peyton Manning?
I don't know about everyone else but I DO NOT consider Manning as a top 5 right now let alone #1. There are guys like Elway,Marino,Montana as well as older QB's who I think were much better.Winning a SB or 2 does not necessarily move a guy up the list either otherwise Trent Dilfer would be in the category too.I'm a Steeler and Dolphin fan so should I demand that Big Ben go to the top of the list? Big Ben has come a long way but I do not consider him a top ten either.Years down the road,who knows?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-16-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 AM

5,426 posts, read 6,396,757 times
True.

i think ESPN is so far (moderator cut-offensive), by saying he will become the best QB of all time by winning another ring is bogus.

Yea, he has 4 season MVP's but so what? that doesn't make him the GOAT.

the media these days is pathetic, the worshipping they did to favre all season was totally pathetic.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-16-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,936,449 times
all this "No. 1 QB of all time" is so subjective...

speaking of Brees though, he's far removed from being considered one of the greatest of all time, much less No. 1 of all time...

he's still young, and has more years to play...give it time before you crown him.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM

also...about the media. for the most part, they're just doing their job...straddling the fence on their opinions will get them nowhere...it's been like that since day one. i wouldn't put so much weight on the nfl media types opinions....they're there to provoke emotions, and getting all huffy puffy about who's nuts their hugging is doing exactly what they're wanting!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,014,560 times
Do yourself a favor, stop watching ESPN...mod cut. They latch on to their favorite athletes and when they do, you'd think it was the second coming of Christ. The fact that they never hold athletes accountable for their poor behavior was enough to turn me off, constantly making excuses for idiots and even indulging and encouraging said behavior by giving them exclusive interviews. Actually most of the networks are guilty of this now. Remember all of the Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson interviews and coverage during the playoffs? You would think this guy was the next Jerry Rice the way they carried on about him and his goofball antics. They give press to arrogant a-holes like Johnson, Owens, Shockey, and Pacman Jones (who recently tried out for the Bengals, good fit for that thug), while there are much better athletes and stories out there to cover.

I'm not ready to jump on the Brees wagon just yet. I also don't use Superbowl rings to rate a QB, otherwise we'd have to say that Bradshaw was the greatest QB ever, far from it. Hell, Roethlisberger has two rings and he's nowhere near as good as Marino who has never won a SB. He's not even as good as Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, or Warren Moon. I would put Manning ahead of all these QB's with the exception of Marino. Give Brees some time, I'm sure he'll be one of the all-time greats, regardless of whether or not he wins another SB title.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-16-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM

802 posts, read 2,609,633 times
I used to think it was all the media's fault until twitter came along and dispelled that notion. Check the pro athletes followers count and explain to me how the media makes all these people sign up.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,397,339 times
Brees will get in. Got a greater chance than Big Ben

Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,746,473 times
Super Bowl rings have nothing to do with how great a QB is. A team wins Super Bowls, not a single player. A player can have no Super Bowls and be the greatest in their particular position.

I hear people talk about the greatest players in other positions all the time and Super Bowl wins never come into play. But, when it comes to quarterbacks, it seems to be one of the top criteria. Yes, it is an important position but it is not that important. Even the greatest QB isnt going to win a SB if he doesnt have the supporting cast to do it.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Super Bowl rings have nothing to do with how great a QB is.
oh, it's got something to do with it...just not the only thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football