U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,132,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
It is a ton of excitement when you get involved and have a valid opinion. When you have figured out that #9 Ambassador is much better today than the others and when he hits the wire first you are going to collect $1000, it is wildly exciting. It is a rush that you feel all week. In contrast your team wins and they get paid and you are left there doing the dishes while the players drive home in their Bentleys, you got stugotz out of the deal. You are just a mark buying the jerseys and using the products rammed down your throat during the broadcasts. By the way I am 31 years old and not a geezer.
Hey- I'm not questioning your preference. It would be like me questioning why you like.. I dunno... chocolate ice cream if I happened to not like it.

I just think that if a sport depends solely upon gambling to be great, then it's not that great. I work too hard for my money to go plunking it down on Ambassador only to watch him come slow out of the gate and see my homework follow my money down the drain.

And don't think that the jockeys and trainers aren't making money off of you, either, because they are. They wouldn't exist without you just like the NFL wouldn't exist without their merchandise-buying legions.

I do have a favorite football team, and I know that the dumbest and least able of them made more money this past season that I will likely make in the next 10 years. I'm okay with that- football is a business, just like movies or any other form of entertainment is a business. And handicapping football games can be just as challenging and as fun as handicapping a horse race is for you.

And by the time you are 60, you'll have that old geezer thing down pretty good from hanging out at the track for so long (KIDDING!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM

792 posts, read 2,908,436 times
The NFL doesn't put out nearly as good of a product as it once did and there are way too many ticky tack penalties that slow down the game and take it away from the players involved. I also fully relate to many individual's disdain for professional sports and questioning what is the point. STILL I miss the NFL and college football as well, because it has the novelty of being a short season, only one game a week, and plays the brunt of the schedule when its too cold outside to do much. Plus I love playing fantasy football, as well as the gambling and other games that mesh so well within the framework of football. College basketball and March Madness is still my favorite form of sports entertainment. But football is a special regular season sport and the only one I pay any attention to. It helps you get thru those dreary December and Jan. days!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,132,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
The NFL doesn't put out nearly as good of a product as it once did and there are way too many ticky tack penalties that slow down the game and take it away from the players involved. I also fully relate to many individual's disdain for professional sports and questioning what is the point. STILL I miss the NFL and college football as well, because it has the novelty of being a short season, only one game a week, and plays the brunt of the schedule when its too cold outside to do much. Plus I love playing fantasy football, as well as the gambling and other games that mesh so well within the framework of football. College basketball and March Madness is still my favorite form of sports entertainment. But football is a special regular season sport and the only one I pay any attention to. It helps you get thru those dreary December and Jan. days!
I agree that the level of play isn't what it was, or could be. The players themselves are in so much better physical condition than they were decades ago, yet the quality of play has continuously suffered across the board IMO. It doesn't make sense.

But the fact that teams only play once a week certainly does make it special. I can't watch college basketball except for March Madness (which is just great IMO) because of the oversaturation you get during the regular season. You could turn on ESPN and get 3 or 4 games a night every night, and I just can't keep up with all that. Plus, in the NFL, you play 16 games to eliminate 2/3 of the league, while in a sport like hockey, you play 82 games to eliminate what seems like a small fraction of the teams(though before expansion they only used to eliminate FIVE teams in the regular season).

I don't like the NFL like I used to, but it's still the best team sports league out there.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,456,937 times
If you're having unmanagable withdrawl pains, you could try checking out the Canadian Football League which has just opened training camps.

The first exhibition game of 3-down football goes Saturday, June 9 when the Montreal Allouettes visit the Toronto Argonauts.

The regular season opener will be June 28 when the British Columbia Lions travel east to visit the Toronto Argos. The game will be carried on the Canadian cable sports channel TSN. On Saturday, June 30, CBC will carry the Hamilton Tiger Cats vs Calgary Stampeders game on the free air network at 10 pm eastern.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 AM

18,685 posts, read 27,197,499 times
Of course I can't wait until football. I'm from Texas but living in Alexandria, Virginia now. I love the Cowboys but I love the Longhorns more. I'm a bigger College Football fan than I am an NFL fan. Being that I'm from Texas, of course I can't wait till football season begins.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:24 PM

1,019 posts, read 3,021,695 times
I don't think that unproven rookies should be making 7mil. plus coming out of the gate no matter what you did in college. I wish there was a way to have a "three year lets see what you can do" mode in place. As far as the NFL season goes, and, even for someone who doesn't like football, its not ALL about the game... Sundays are the day... church in the morning for an hour or so... then maybe a little shopping... then Football... the games, good eats, conversation, some beers, rooting for your team ... just a great way to socialize and have laughs and fun. Plus, cooler weather

Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,855,303 times
this 30 something mom LOVES football. it's a religion in our house every Sunday. DH, my son and I are Giants fans, with my other son a die hard Jets fan, he's 9 and creepy with his Jets knowledge. part of me enjoys it because he loves it so. he almost fainted when my DH brought him to a game last season.

can't wait until Sept!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 PM

1,019 posts, read 3,021,695 times
Tahiti... maybe not creepy but just a stage... that may last forever for him If you think about it from a non sports view think about the math he is absorbing, adding, subracting... memory: remembering who's number is what and what they do... stats... who had done what and how much... then history: great players from his favorite teem and what they've done now that football is over... I could go on and on but its dinnertime now... enjoy the game for all it has on and off the field...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:07 PM

536 posts, read 1,100,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
this 30 something mom LOVES football. it's a religion in our house every Sunday. DH, my son and I are Giants fans, with my other son a die hard Jets fan, he's 9 and creepy with his Jets knowledge. part of me enjoys it because he loves it so. he almost fainted when my DH brought him to a game last season.

can't wait until Sept!
give your 9 year old a big high five for me

Old 06-06-2007, 07:17 PM

668 posts, read 2,464,989 times
We are big Patriots fans here in our house, and the off season is a long dry spell. Can't wait untl August. My husband still watches "Inside the NFL" on ESPN. GO PATS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or