U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:59 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
I'd love to see a new league in large metro areas without an NFL team......
With the move of the Rams to Los Angeles, there really are no large metropolitan areas left in the United States without a team. Now, the largest team-less metro is St. Louis. Just to get to 12 teams - which I would think would be the minimum for a new league - you'd have to go as follows:

#18 - St. Louis
#23 - Portland
#24 - San Antonio
#25 - Sacramento
#26 - Orlando
#30 - Las Vegas
#31 - Columbus
#33 - Austin
#35 - Virginia Beach/Norfolk
#37 - Providence
#38 - Milwaukee
#40 - Memphis

And that's scraping the bottom of the barrel. Greater Memphis, for example, is even smaller than greater Jacksonville.

Other problems abound. Sacramento is less than 100 miles from the Bay Area, which has two teams. San Antonio and Austin are only 80 miles from each other. Orlando is less than 100 miles from Tampa. The NFL won't touch Vegas. Providence is 20 miles from Gillette Stadium. This would push the league into even smaller metros, like Louisville and Birmingham.

There's simply no way such a league could compete. The NFL is simply too large and powerful to ever face another truly competitive rival league. The AFL of the 1960s was the last to do so successfully. The WFL and USFL completely failed. Today, there's no way you'd get ownership groups willing to gamble the necessary money on the dream of eventually forcing a merger with the NFL (which is really the point of rival leagues).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
With the move of the Rams to Los Angeles, there really are no large metropolitan areas left in the United States without a team. Now, the largest team-less metro is St. Louis. Just to get to 12 teams - which I would think would be the minimum for a new league - you'd have to go as follows:

#18 - St. Louis
#23 - Portland
#24 - San Antonio
#25 - Sacramento
#26 - Orlando
#30 - Las Vegas
#31 - Columbus
#33 - Austin
#37 - Providence
#38 - Milwaukee
#40 - Memphis

And that's scraping the bottom of the barrel. Greater Memphis, for example, is even smaller than greater Jacksonville.

Other problems abound. Sacramento is less than 100 miles from the Bay Area, which has two teams. San Antonio and Austin are only 80 miles from each other. Orlando is less than 100 miles from Tampa. The NFL won't touch Vegas. Providence is 20 miles from Gillette Stadium. This would push the league into even smaller metros, like Louisville and Birmingham.

There's simply no way such a league could compete. The NFL is simply too large and powerful to ever face another truly competitive rival league. The AFL of the 1960s was the last to do so successfully. The WFL and USFL completely failed. Today, there's no way you'd get ownership groups willing to gamble the necessary money on the dream of eventually forcing a merger with the NFL (which is really the point of rival leagues).

it is my hope that when the NFL expands to Europe, they start with Manchester to put those football teams out of business too.

All Hail King Roger!!!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

#18 - St. Louis
#23 - Portland
#24 - San Antonio
#25 - Sacramento
#26 - Orlando
#30 - Las Vegas
#31 - Columbus
#33 - Austin
#37 - Providence
#38 - Milwaukee
#40 - Memphis

If you make it a Spring league, as the USFL was.. It has a chance. But, some of the USFL owners (notably one who is now running for president) were more interested in getting the NFL to absorb the USFL and give NFL franchises to some of the teams.

Once the lawsuit fell flat. It was over. But if they hadn't depended on that.. Maybe they had a chance. At least, some of the teams did. Because they were getting quality players.. Unlike the XFL that was just full of rejects, has beens and never was-es. The XFL had credibility problems, too, because of who owned it.

I agree with you that COMPETITION with the NFL will never work. Coopetition, however.. That could work. The problem is that likely the NFL would never agree to even coopetition. They would try to destroy the new league, even if they weren't competitors or trying to be competitors.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:51 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,503,825 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember back in the 80's the USFL (United States Football League)

Teams
Arizona Wranglers
Birmingham Stallions
Boston Breakers
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
Houston Gamblers
Jacksonville Bulls
Jersey Generals
LA Express
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers
Oakland Invaders
Oklahoma Outlaws
Orlando Renegades
Pittsburg Maulers
San Antonio Gunslingers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Washington Federals

Notable Players...Kelvin Bryant, Joe Cribbs, Marcus Dupree, Doug Flutie, Bobby Hebert, Craig James, Jim Kelley, Mike Rozier, Ricky Sanders, Herschel Walker etc...

Wait a minute .... didn't Baltimore have a team and win a championship?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM

16,525 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Calvert is right. In the final season the Philadelphia Stars played their final games in Baltimore. There was a huge issue with the Stars playing their games at "The Vet" in Philadelphia, basically that being the MLB's Philadelphia Phillies park, so much so that eventually they had to use Franklin Field in Philadelphia for some of their games. Franklin Field had been the Eagles home for a dozen years or so, then when Veterans Stadium was completed the Eagles moved there. IIRC that would be 1971.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Calvert is right. In the final season the Philadelphia Stars played their final games in Baltimore. There was a huge issue with the Stars playing their games at "The Vet" in Philadelphia, basically that being the MLB's Philadelphia Phillies park, so much so that eventually they had to use Franklin Field in Philadelphia for some of their games. Franklin Field had been the Eagles home for a dozen years or so, then when Veterans Stadium was completed the Eagles moved there. IIRC that would be 1971.
They were known as the Baltimore Stars.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM

28,469 posts, read 15,441,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Sparky.. there was a good 30 for 30 documentary a while back, Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?, that documented the league's rise & fall. It covered Trump's relationship within the league. I thought it was interesting.
One of my favorite aspects of the movie was Jim Kelly (Houston Gambler turned Buffalo Bill) sharing his USFL memories. He was proud of their legacy.

Good memories.., and it took testes to challenge a giant like the NFL.

I think it was on within the last day or two.

It will probably resurface again with Trump in the media these days.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,925 times
Ah, the memories...I actually watched a good number of USFL games. I do think they should have been a little more patient and not expanded so quickly among other reasons for their eventual demise...

Quote:
Does anyone remember back in the 80's the USFL (United States Football League)

Teams
Arizona Wranglers
Birmingham Stallions
Boston Breakers
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
Houston Gamblers
Jacksonville Bulls
Jersey Generals
LA Express
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers
Oakland Invaders
Oklahoma Outlaws
Orlando Renegades
Pittsburg Maulers
San Antonio Gunslingers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Washington Federals

Notable Players...Kelvin Bryant, Joe Cribbs, Marcus Dupree, Doug Flutie, Bobby Hebert, Craig James, Jim Kelley, Mike Rozier, Ricky Sanders, Herschel Walker etc...

Of these metros mentioned, how many of them have Arena League teams?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:11 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Ah, the memories...I actually watched a good number of USFL games. I do think they should have been a little more patient and not expanded so quickly among other reasons for their eventual demise...

Of these metros mentioned, how many of them have Arena League teams?
There are eight teams in the Arena Football League, if you watch Arena football.

There will be a Washington DC team for next year.

Current teams are located in Jacksonville, Orlando, Philadelphia, Tampa, Phoenix, Cleveland, Anaheim though the team is called the Los Angeles Kiss, and Portland Oregon.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 PM

4,981 posts, read 11,048,731 times
I miss the USFL, I was a season ticket holder for the Boston Breakers the one season they lasted in Boston, was nice having a team actually play in the city as I was living in Boston at the time...

It was exciting brand of football
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football