Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 PM

31 posts, read 68,260 times

Advertisements

I remember it being billed as a "run and gun" league, compared favorably to the old American Basketball Assocation, and the World Hockey League. Being a Detroit Lions fan, it was only natural to be drawn to the Michigan Panthers.
Marv Levy and George Allen were head coaches in Chicago for the Blitz. Levy was also successful north of the border in the CFL, as well as his NFL career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 07:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Klugh View Post
I remember it being billed as a "run and gun" league, compared favorably to the old American Basketball Assocation, and the World Hockey League. Being a Detroit Lions fan, it was only natural to be drawn to the Michigan Panthers.
Marv Levy and George Allen were head coaches in Chicago for the Blitz. Levy was also successful north of the border in the CFL, as well as his NFL career.
As much as I hate the Bills, I always liked Marv Levy.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:49 AM

536 posts, read 1,191,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
As much as I hate the Bills, I always liked Marv Levy.
we dont agree on our favorite teams but im sure we hate the same teams lol

Old 06-09-2007, 04:39 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
we dont agree on our favorite teams but im sure we hate the same teams lol
That's very true jetsfan. Lets you and I make sure and have a good old fashioned rivalry going this season. If the phins get smacked around by the jets, you can give me all kinds of grief, and vice versa. Whaddya say? I love football rivalries, it's what makes the game sweet.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:29 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,272,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Klugh View Post
Ah the Chicago Blitz.....

WR Trumain Johnson. My favorite USFL player...

Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,333,006 times
I miss the Showboats and the USFL. Great uniform design. Reggie White. Trump killed it with his greed.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 11,376 times
Trump would have made the USFL even better than the NFL if he was allowed to, IMHO.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 PM

3,679 posts, read 2,509,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky212 View Post
Trump would have made the USFL even better than the NFL if he was allowed to, IMHO.
Sparky.. there was a good 30 for 30 documentary a while back, Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?, that documented the league's rise & fall. It covered Trump's relationship within the league. I thought it was interesting.
One of my favorite aspects of the movie was Jim Kelly (Houston Gambler turned Buffalo Bill) sharing his USFL memories. He was proud of their legacy.

Good memories.., and it took testes to challenge a giant like the NFL.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:41 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,094,727 times
I loved the usfl, went to many games at Sun devil stadium in Arizona. Year 2 after Arizona and Chicago traded teams from year 1, Arizona coached by Goerge Allen, made the playoffs. Arizona beat, I think, Houston in the first round and then got to play Steve Young and the LA express in the western conference championship. LA had a better record but the game was at sun devil stadium because the LA colusium was being used for something else. Don't remember what, maybe the world cup? Anyway we (az) won and then the one and only time in my life I was part of rushing the field to tear down the goal posts. We failed because the crowd was only 35 or 40 thousand that day. But it was sure fun running around celebrating with the players. Frank Minniefield (anyone remember him from the Browns)was one of our players that I ran into on the field.
One other memory was a game against the New Jersey Generals with Hershel Walker. I had endzone seat real close to the field and Walker was running right toward me but there was a Defender in his way about the 5 yard line. The defender was just set perfect for a tackle but Walker ran straight over him like he was made of cardboard. The tackler was flat on his back and walker just walked in for a touchdown.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:31 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,375,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Does anyone remember back in the 80's the USFL (United States Football League)

Teams
Arizona Wranglers
Birmingham Stallions
Boston Breakers
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
Houston Gamblers
Jacksonville Bulls
Jersey Generals
LA Express
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers
Oakland Invaders
Oklahoma Outlaws
Orlando Renegades
Pittsburg Maulers
San Antonio Gunslingers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Washington Federals

Notable Players...Kelvin Bryant, Joe Cribbs, Marcus Dupree, Doug Flutie, Bobby Hebert, Craig James, Jim Kelley, Mike Rozier, Ricky Sanders, Herschel Walker etc...

I'd love to see a new league in large metro areas without an NFL team......
Don't forget Reggie White who played for the Memphis Showboats before playing for Philadelphia and Green Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football