U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,400,643 times

Advertisements

never seen the Rockpile. Born in 1991. Wasn't it in the movie The Natural with Robert Redford? If that's the arena. then thats the best ive seen it lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM

16,534 posts, read 21,020,887 times
Both Town and Country and Ditchlights makes a good point regarding being a true fan.

Before Buffalo got to their championship years in the mid-1960's, they were supporting their club better than most of the other clubs in the AFL. I double checked my fact book and noticed that War Memorial Stadium was pulling in 30,000 plus per game, the capacity being somewhere around 46,000 or so. This was 1962.

That doesn't sound like a lot of people but consider that in the first few years of the AFL several clubs weren't doing that well, particularly Denver, Oakland, and New York. Those clubs were coming in with 12 to 15 thousand in attendance early in the season, at the tail end the attendance was half that much. In fact, the last game of the 1963 regular season was the Bills against the New York Titans in the old Polo Grounds. The attendance? 5,826!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-23-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I'd rep you again if I could DH. Thank you for the history lesson. It was a different time back then. Sure, there were some big ego's, but not the kind we have in the NFL today. It was a time when it was about the team and the fans, not individual glory, salary cap, and bottom lines. I watch old highlights from that era, and they have a feel and quality to them that will never be re-created.
Ditchlights is right. I don't know what the other clubs were charging but when I went to Bronco home games as a kid with my Dad in the early 60's, I remember sideline seats being around $6 to $7 and the end zone seats half that. Parking was 50 cents.

Players worked off season jobs, and as the league was getting started the owners couldn't pay the players big money if they wanted to. Tickets were available at local businesses and sometimes players would be at those businesses not only promoting the league with ticket selling but also promoting the local business as well.

The AFL was conscious about publicity. One of the reasons that the AFL went to putting names on the back of jerseys was for the fans to get to know the players, and on tv after games to not only interview the best player in that particular game but interview a few players.

Definitely a different time!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM

1,019 posts, read 3,018,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
never seen the Rockpile. Born in 1991. Wasn't it in the movie The Natural with Robert Redford? If that's the arena. then thats the best ive seen it lol
There are still standing concrete columns and a memorial I believe... think its a very small parklike setting now... here's a look:

YouTube - War Memorial Stadium Buffalo

Little known fact: This is where Richard Petty made his nascar/racing debut believe it or not, I think it was in 1958

Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM

1,019 posts, read 3,018,502 times
Tailgate Central:

YouTube - Lets Go Buffalo Bills Tailgating Part 2

Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 PM

I thought I'd bring this thread up to date for the Buffalo Bills fans, particularly the fans who haven't been on this message board for a few years.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football