U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,367,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post

You really don't understand our judicial system, do you? It is up to the prosecutors to PROVE guilt. All the defense has to do is DEFEND--in other words, shoot holes in the prosecutors story. They DEFEND, but DO NOT HAVE TO PROVE INNOCENCE, JUST SHOW DOUBT in the story!
Caps lock broken? It's merely a choice of words, by shooting holes in the prosecution, they are giving evidence of his innocence. I never said they have to prove his innocence as a focal point, but by defending his case, they...will...present...evidence. I never said he was guilty until proven innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM

79 posts, read 123,852 times
You're a drunk, Ben! Get in a rehab program ASAP, and save whatever dignity you have left...if any.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

23,653 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I can agree with everything you wrote except this^^^^!

As a father and a brother, that makes me sick that you would say that. NO WOMAN deserves to be sexually assualted regardless of thier reputation by a man....NONE!
I wasn't implying that these girls deserved to be assualted. I'm just saying that a negative reputation can make some people hard to convince. If Ben did it, he should be severely punished. (though we know he likely won't be, regardless) Who are you more likely to believe when they say that the intercourse they had was non-consenual? The most famous loose woman in town or the average girl?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,185,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Caps lock broken? It's merely a choice of words, by shooting holes in the prosecution, they are giving evidence of his innocence. I never said they have to prove his innocence as a focal point, but by defending his case, they...will...present...evidence. I never said he was guilty until proven innocent.
Well it doesn't seem like your grasping or understanding our judicial system very well--reason for the caps!!! You have said "Don't they have to prove his innocence?" The answer is NO!! It is up to the prosecutors to prove his guilt!!! If they can't --the case is closed--verdict = innocent!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What? I agree that everyone should holster their pitchforks when it comes to Ben for now, but, what? People constantly are going to court to prove they did nothing wrong, someone who is fighting a traffic ticket, the burden is on them to prove they are innocent. Isn't a criminal defenders job defined as, proving people innocent? It's not like they just kick back with their feet up while the prosecuting attorney tries to prove them guilty. And why can't you prove a negative, someone accuses me of robbing a liquor store, the security cameras shows someone else doing it, doesn't that prove the negative that I was not there as my accuser suggests?
Here is what you said!! Again--the answer is no!!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM

The burden of proof is often associated with the Latin maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, the best translation of which seems to be: "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges." This is a statement of a version of the presumption of innocence that underpins the assessment of evidence in some legal systems

Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,367,818 times
Quote:
Here is what you said!! Again--the answer is no!!
My example, that you bolded, was a traffic ticket, I have only been to traffic court once, so I am no expert, but I showed up and had to state my case to the judge why I felt I was innocent, the cop just handed in my ticket, I can tell you, it was on me to convince him that I was innocent--at least as a civilian thats how I felt. Obviously I will admit thats not relevant to the Ben situation, but it was what I was refering to. I am guessing traffic court is different then a high profile criminal case, so I clearly used a poor example, with less then professional legal verbage. I'm not a legal expert. I apologize and will let the experts, or googlers do the rest.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,189,184 times
Quote:
I apologize and will let the experts, or googlers do the rest.
Man I was thinking the exact same thing... LMAO

I will rep you if I can!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The burden of proof is often associated with the Latin maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, the best translation of which seems to be: "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges." This is a statement of a version of the presumption of innocence that underpins the assessment of evidence in some legal systems
Quote:
My example, that you bolded, was a traffic ticket, I have only been to traffic court once, so I am no expert, but I showed up and had to state my case to the judge why I felt I was innocent, the cop just handed in my ticket, I can tell you, it was on me to convince him that I was innocent--at least as a civilian thats how I felt. Obviously I will admit thats not relevant to the Ben situation, but it was what I was refering to. I am guessing traffic court is different then a high profile criminal case, so I clearly used a poor example, with less then professional legal verbage. I'm not a legal expert. I apologize and will let the experts, or googlers do the rest.
Yes, I did google the definition of "burden of proof" for you, so you could read it in black and white. However, I do understand "burden of proof" and which team has to "prove" something in a court of law.

You are right on one thing--using traffic court as an example is poor.

A few of you are so quick to point out when I say something wrong or misguided but when the shoe is on the other foot--y'all get a bit testy now, don't you!?!?

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 03-30-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM

3,180 posts, read 4,645,970 times
Big Ben is being treated with kid gloves because his little sister, playing basketball for Oklahoma, is hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or