Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Steelers have found themselves a 21st-Century Dermontti Dawson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:17 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
I'm tickled to death about Minnesota trading their draft pick to Detroit. They are almost for certain going to take Clausen, but why take him in the first round when they can still get him in the 2nd round AND you get to pick higher in the 4th round AND get an extra 7th round pick.

With Indianapolis (w/Peyton Manning) and New Orleons (Drew Brees) picking after the Vikings you knew that they weren't going to pick a quarterback. St. Louis starting the 2nd round has already drafted Bradford at quarterback as the #1 pick which leaves the Detroit position of #2 in the draft that the Vikings now have being where we get the same player we would have taken earlier.

I would be surprised if this isn't how it's going to play out. If they pick someone other than Clausen, I think they felt that player would have still been available picking later also.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm tickled to death about Minnesota trading their draft pick to Detroit. They are almost for certain going to take Clausen, but why take him in the first round when they can still get him in the 2nd round AND you get to pick higher in the 4th round AND get an extra 7th round pick.

With Indianapolis (w/Peyton Manning) and New Orleons (Drew Brees) picking after the Vikings you knew that they weren't going to pick a quarterback. St. Louis starting the 2nd round has already drafted Bradford at quarterback as the #1 pick which leaves the Detroit position of #2 in the draft that the Vikings now have being where we get the same player we would have taken earlier.

I would be surprised if this isn't how it's going to play out. If they pick someone other than Clausen, I think they felt that player would have still been available picking later also.
I doubt the Vikings will be taking either Clausen or McCoy. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade pick #34 to Buffalo or someone else that is looking for a QB to get even more picks. Not sure I agree with the stockpiling of these picks given they simply don't have that many roster spots open. Maybe they will then trade some of those picks to move up higher next year. In any case it's hard to argue with Spielman's recent successes and I am certain that whoever they select, they will be pleased because they had him rated as the best player in the draft.

Last edited by Ghengis; 04-23-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What's going on in the draft? I almost forgot how unwatchable this thing is. What a bunch of scum bags in the audience. What's with all the booing? Drew Brees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Typical Jets and Giants fans.
um, the fans at the draft weren't booing drew brees. they were chanting "DREWWWWWWW".

and btw, just because the draft was held in nyc doesn't mean that there were only jets and giants fans in attendance. literally every nfl fanbase shows up for this event, especially from nearby cities like philly, baltimore, dc, and boston. also, there are a number of teams which have a huge fanbase throughout the country, including the northeast, such as the cowboys, steelers, raiders, packers, and so forth. tons of dolphins fans in nyc, too, going back to the 1970s.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I don't like this new prime time format, mainly because those of us on the west coast won't be able to watch. It starts at 3 pm here, and we're still at work, usually don't get home until 6. It will basically be over by then. Did they just not care about anybody in the Pacific time zones?

and poor Tom Jackson (?), he barely could get a word in edgewide between Gruden and Young last night. I think he just gave up after awhile. I'm sure he would have had alot to say about Teboe, being an ex Broncho.

I also have another question...if the picks are suppose to be secret, then how come every draft pick that stayed at home, already had the hats from the team that picked them. Everybody in Teboe's house had a Denver hat and I noticed Dallas hats, etc. Sounds a little suspicious to me?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

I'm not sure...I figured we are a DB away from the Super Bowl and in a win now mode. I had hoped they would trade up for Wilson or Mc Courty. Now we get to face Suh and Best twice a year. We can recall how Best did in his last visit to Minnesota.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,121 times
Couple of quick hits on the 1st round.

1. Tebow at 25 to Denver.. perplexing at best. Bossco your 1000% smarter on football than most of the folks on here but you also have a huge touch of Bronco's homerism. This was a bad pick by Josh. YOU CLAIM he was grooming Orton and that Orton had as much or more potential than Brady and he was going to be the next great thing etc. Then he is "IN LOVE WITH" Brady Quin.... so he takes another QB project on? WTH ??? This is a pointless 1st rounder. And NO buffalo was not going to take Tebow that early, if you can prove otherwise please do so. Your a glass half full guy when it comes to everything McDaniels does, and thats cool I support my team too, but you can put lipstick on a pig.............

2. Jacksonville's pick at 10...dumbfounded is all I can say

3. Patriots taking another DB early..... I know the division is getting alot of better WR's but come one, Wilhite, Wheatley, Butler, Chung and Meriweather...now McCourty.... In Bill we......?????

4. Did anyone bedsides me notice that Pittsburgh #1 pick Pouncey kissed another grown man on the lips after he was picked? This was a WTF did I just see moment, I had to rewind live TV to verify it!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Couple of quick hits on the 1st round.

1. Tebow at 25 to Denver.. perplexing at best. Bossco your 1000% smarter on football than most of the folks on here but you also have a huge touch of Bronco's homerism. This was a bad pick by Josh. YOU CLAIM he was grooming Orton and that Orton had as much or more potential than Brady and he was going to be the next great thing etc. Then he is "IN LOVE WITH" Brady Quin....
Those things are not mutually exclusive though. Brady Quinn is who Josh wanted when we traded Cutler. Something killed the deal and popular speculation is that Cutler/Bus Cook made it clear they didn't want to go to Cleveland so Cleveland backed out. We then tried to nab Quinn again after the draft but Cleveland turned us and a couple other teams down. Then Holmgren came to town and started cleaning house and Quinn was available on the cheap, at which point we jumped all over him.

This goes back to what I've been saying since we acquired Quinn. Orton is the man in 2010, and in 2011 he's going to have a major battle on his hands from Quinn and now possibly Tebow.

Quote:
so he takes another QB project on? WTH ??? This is a pointless 1st rounder.
There's nothing pointless about it. Tebow has a great skillset and the best mentality you could ask for in a player. His only downside is some funky mechanics which Josh has already shown he can correct and Tebow already made huge strides in that department during the offseason.

Quote:
And NO buffalo was not going to take Tebow that early, if you can prove otherwise please do so.
Schefter himself was telling us that shortly after the pick went down on ESPN.

Quote:
2. Jacksonville's pick at 10...dumbfounded is all I can say
Same here dude.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I also have another question...if the picks are suppose to be secret, then how come every draft pick that stayed at home, already had the hats from the team that picked them. Everybody in Teboe's house had a Denver hat and I noticed Dallas hats, etc. Sounds a little suspicious to me?
not really suspicious - hats and t-shirts are cheap

teams have a relatively good idea of who will be around and who will be getting TV time and who they'll want to pick

i'm sure all they had to do was open the correct box

Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
um, the fans at the draft weren't booing drew brees. they were chanting "DREWWWWWWW".
I was addressing the Boos for Sam Bradford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football