U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,195,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No bull****ting here, just my apparently contrarian perspective...

Complaint #1: Ben Roethlisberger gets a free pass, but Santonio Holmes gets traded? That's racist!

Rebuttal: WRs are much more easily replaceable than QBs. As a result, WRs need less rope to hang themselves with than QBs. There's nothing racist about it. Furthermore, this trade could be a warning shot across Roethlisberger's bow from the front office.

Complaint #2: Santonio Holmes was Pittsburgh's primary WR and a Super Bowl MVP, yet the Steelers traded him away for a fifth-rounder? That's stupid!

Rebuttal: First of all, Holmes was never consistent enough to be the clear-cut #1 WR in Pittsburgh, even after four seasons. Second of all, Larry Brown, Desmond Howard and Dexter Jackson were all Super Bowl MVPs too, yet none of them will ever be mistaken for great players. That doesn't mean that Holmes is a flash in the pan, just that judging him by such an award is useless. Third of all, I'd argue that this was a shrewd move for the Steelers, getting a draft pick in exchange for a player they weren't going to offer a contract extension for in the first place.

Complaint #3: Pittsburgh's WR corps is now dangerously thin!

Rebuttal: Hines Ward is getting up there in age, for sure, but Antwaan Randle El is back, and he still has a few good years left in him. And speaking of replaceability once again, Mike Wallace is a young up-and-comer who's fast enough to puncture a hole in opposing secondaries. Lastly, Ben Roethlisberger is a good enough QB that an elite WR is a mere luxury.
Good post!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Why do you have to try to make everything related to the Steelers in to some kind of passive aggressive pissing match? It really gets old.

Holmes was a superbowl MVP. How many times did he make the pro-bowl? That would be zero. He wasn't a star receiver, just a decent one that made some good catches at opportune times. But he came with issues...many of them.

He just received a 4 game suspension for a violation of the NFLs substance abuse policy policy, that the Jets will now have to deal with. Put this on top of his drug arrest, his recent issue with the law, the fact the he was telling people to go kill themselves on his twitter page, and the fact that a lot of the other players felt that he was difficult to work with and not a leader. Additionally, he would have required a huge pay for the Steelers to keep him.
Steelers already have some star potential in last years rookie receiver Wallace. Wallace will play with Hines Ward and Randle el. Steelers need help rebuilding other parts of the team more than they do keeping a receiver.
I started to bold KEY points you made but just realized, I would be bolding your entire post! Excellent post--reps for you! Holmes was trouble from day 1. Yes he caught the winning TD pass to get us a SB title, but with all the trouble he has been in over the years--he starts to become a liablility.

I also agree with this being a warning shot at Ben from the Rooneys!

I am excited that Randle El is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Besides, Ben Roethlisberger is good enough to make "decent" WRs look like stars.
BINGO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,914,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The guy has a drug problem and is facing a four game suspension.
The Steelers were going to cut him loose, but found someone willing to give a draft pick for him.

What is there to spin?
Plain and simple, the Jets made out. They are building the next "superteam", and that spells more trouble for this Bills fan.

Who cares if he's a troublemaker and a drug user, as long as he can make clutch plays when needed. It's not like the NFL fires troublemakers like him the way a real, normal, everyday working man would be if caught up in the same predicament. They are virtually untouchable compared to normal mortals. Good role models too!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Plain and simple, the Jets made out. They are building the next "superteam", and that spells more trouble for this Bills fan.

Who cares if he's a troublemaker and a drug user, as long as he can make clutch plays when needed. It's not like the NFL fires troublemakers like him the way a real, normal, everyday working man would be if caught up in the same predicament. They are virtually untouchable compared to normal mortals. Good role models too!
More trouble for the Bills? The Jets are the least of their worries. You have alot more to worry about besides that. QB, receivers,etc... I had Plaxico on my Steelers and he threw fits that he wasn't the #1 and Hines Ward was. Santonio was heading down the same path. Bad chemistry=bad team and bad record.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,583,521 times
When I first heard about the trade for Holmes, I thought there were two possibilities to explain it. One, the front office is on the upswing, emanating confidence. Or two, the front office is in turmoil, emanating desperation. Since the Jets aren't currently a member of the second club...

As to Holmes' reputation and off-the-field activities, hey, it's not brain surgery. He'll get his act together, or the Jets will cut him loose. And his career in the NFL will have taken a major step in the direction of the toilet. The Jets realize the risks involved just as much as anyone else. But it was a risk they were willing to take.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:41 PM

383 posts, read 177,485 times
He was made an example of. He violated the drug policy of the league was going to be suspended for 4 games and this is what happens. I think Rothlesberger should be suspended as well for getting himself in such stupid positions and getting in trouble but that's not my call.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
He was made an example of. He violated the drug policy of the league was going to be suspended for 4 games and this is what happens. I think Rothlesberger should be suspended as well for getting himself in such stupid positions and getting in trouble but that's not my call.
He puts himself in bad positions but Santonio was found guilty of crimes and he is also being charged, Ben is not guilty of anything except bad judgements and a poor choice of company/friends.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,192,203 times
I find it laughable that everyone seems to think that the NFL code of conduct gives a rats rear about convictions or charges. The code is designed to keep players as positive role models in the eyes of the public... PERIOD! Roger Goodell could care less if Ben is charged or convicted, the fact that he has put the NFL in the news for reasons such as this is what matters to him. Read up on the NFL code of conduct and remove the whole "convictions, charges" thing from your head because you DO NOT have to be charged or convicted in the eyes of the NFL to be held liable under the NFL code of conduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football