U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM
 
2,653 posts, read 4,724,596 times
Reputation: 1905

Advertisements

As much as it makes my stomach churn (as a Steeler Fan) I have to say Brady. Brees had a great year, but Brady has delivered consistent excellence over a long period of time. He is also very cool under pressure. Brees may pull ahead of Brady in time, but right now its Brady & P. Manning scrapping for the top spot and everyone else is fighting over the bronze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Georgia
897 posts, read 1,458,209 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Please, leave Super Bowl rings out and let's talk which QB is the better one when it comes to passing, yards etc.


Peyton Manning is better than either Brees or Brady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,182,754 times
Reputation: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Peyton Manning is better than either Brees or Brady
I agree with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 3,188,090 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Peyton Manning is better than either Brees or Brady

At blowing the BIG GAME, yes he is better than both of them put together!

Manning is the single most over rated QB since Dan "cant get it done" Marino!

I think that last season Brees was the best pure passer in the game. But YOu cant say leave the RINGS out of of it because thats what all GREAT QB's are measured by. Brady has the best post season winning % of any QB in the NFL and has won 3/4 of the SB's he has been in. And has done it all with 0 probowl WR's until Moss & Welker ( mind you neither of them played on any of the SB winning teams Brady led) and he's had 1 true workhorse RB and that was Corey Dillion. Look at the Weapons Brees had last year and look at Bradys superbowl teams..... Brees's offense was LOADED with talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Georgia
897 posts, read 1,458,209 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
At blowing the BIG GAME, yes he is better than both of them put together!

Manning is the single most over rated QB since Dan "cant get it done" Marino!

I think that last season Brees was the best pure passer in the game. But YOu cant say leave the RINGS out of of it because thats what all GREAT QB's are measured by. Brady has the best post season winning % of any QB in the NFL and has won 3/4 of the SB's he has been in. And has done it all with 0 probowl WR's until Moss & Welker ( mind you neither of them played on any of the SB winning teams Brady led) and he's had 1 true workhorse RB and that was Corey Dillion. Look at the Weapons Brees had last year and look at Bradys superbowl teams..... Brees's offense was LOADED with talent.

You have to look at His passing statistics,He's already won His place in the HOF. I put more weight on passing stats than other stuff. Going by your argument,Sonny Jurgenson or Fran Tarkington might not have made the HOF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 3,188,090 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
You have to look at His passing statistics,He's already won His place in the HOF. I put more weight on passing stats than other stuff. Going by your argument,Sonny Jurgenson or Fran Tarkington might not have made the HOF.

Before Manning, Marino was the STAT king and he himself will tell you he would give everyone of them back for 1 ring so I dont care what argument you make the fact that he doesnt have one , or in Mannings case only 1 makes a big difference. You can say all day long he's the best STATISTICAL PASSER ever, I will give him that all day long and twice on sunday but he is far from being better than Brady when it comes to being a WINNER and thats what the game is ALL ABOUT! They dont play for the PASSER trophy every year, they play for the Lombardi, Dont forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,032 posts, read 26,882,421 times
Reputation: 16190
Brady...lets not forget the Giselle factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
Reputation: 3070
Put me firmly in the camp (as I have said many times before) that rings are overrated and in no way should measure a QBs talent in discussions like this. If you have a 30 yo with average to good stats/talent that has won 4 straight superbowls (on a great team of course) vs a 30 year old that has never won a superbowl but has high efficency numbers, and you had to pick one to start a team around, are you picking the average to good guy with rings or the extremely efficient QB that has hard luck in the playoffs, or is surrounded my mediocre players. Christ I hate the "he has rings" arguement.

Anyways, I would say it is close in this situation, but I would probably take Brees, I'll see if I can crunch out a statistical arguement later from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Reputation: 14668
Peyton Manning is certainly the smartest QB in the NFL right now, and possibly even in NFL history. But he was not the best QB in the NFL last year, and the Super Bowl was proof of that. Drew Brees was the best QB in the NFL last year, and he outdueled Manning in the Super Bowl.

Sometimes Manning just seems to be too robotic. A robot will do things very efficiently if everything is operating well, but won't know what the hell to do if things aren't. I think it's possible to be too cerebral as a QB, because if you rely solely on your brain, then you'll lose touch with your gut, and you won't be able to improvise if things don't happen according to plan. This, I think, could be Manning's tragic flaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Edwardsville, IL
1,815 posts, read 2,091,252 times
Reputation: 1472
Brees. Brady is the Joe Montana of his generation, highly successful but merely a product of the system around him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top