U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,995,395 times

Advertisements

Not that this question matters anymore since he's clearly not being traded anywhere, but this might shed some light on how valuable Ben Roethlisberger is to the Pittsburgh Steelers...

Record in games Roethlisberger has started:* 60-26 (.698)
Record in games Roethlisberger has not started:* 5-5 (.500)

(* - since the start of the 2004 season.)

Basically, the Steelers are an 11-5 team with Roethlisberger at QB, and an 8-8 team without him. It goes to show you that he's not "just along for the ride" like some people claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:53 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,202,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
What makes you so sure that Leftwich will start? I'm betting that Tomlin starts Batch.
Truthfully the only reason Batch is on the roster is because he is a good influence and eventually might be a QB coach for us. He really brings nothing to the table as a backup. Dixon would be before Batch but Byron can still be a starter in this league in the right offense like ours. The other 2 cannot say the same at this point. Byron will be our obvious starter and our best chance for winning. Also if we didn't want him as our safety net,than why did we add another year to his contract a day after we signed him?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM

663 posts, read 1,653,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Truthfully the only reason Batch is on the roster is because he is a good influence and eventually might be a QB coach for us. He really brings nothing to the table as a backup. Dixon would be before Batch but Byron can still be a starter in this league in the right offense like ours. The other 2 cannot say the same at this point. Byron will be our obvious starter and our best chance for winning. Also if we didn't want him as our safety net,than why did we add another year to his contract a day after we signed him?
I think Leftwich / Dixon are #1 & #2 interchangeably. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dixon start a game or two. However, I think Batch fits very well as #3. Don't forget about the 3rd quarterback rule. If #3 goes in prior to the 4th quarter, #1 & #2 become ineligible for the rest of the game. Granted, the scenario where #3 has to play before the 4th quarter is not too likely, however I'd feel better if Batch had that responsibility.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,190,632 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
I think Leftwich / Dixon are #1 & #2 interchangeably. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dixon start a game or two. However, I think Batch fits very well as #3. Don't forget about the 3rd quarterback rule. If #3 goes in prior to the 4th quarter, #1 & #2 become ineligible for the rest of the game. Granted, the scenario where #3 has to play before the 4th quarter is not too likely, however I'd feel better if Batch had that responsibility.
You can't really say at this point who our QB is going to be on opening day. I don't see them allowing Leftwich to start for us (I wish they would). It will be either Batch or Dixon that starts is my bet, leaning more towards Batch.

A lot depends on what happens during camp as well, what happens during those preseason games. They vie for the starter position.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
You can't really say at this point who our QB is going to be on opening day. I don't see them allowing Leftwich to start for us (I wish they would). It will be either Batch or Dixon that starts is my bet, leaning more towards Batch.

A lot depends on what happens during camp as well, what happens during those preseason games. They vie for the starter position.
I still think it will be Leftwich but I guess training camp will sort that out.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I still think it will be Leftwich but I guess training camp will sort that out.
I hope you're right!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,900,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
If Ben gets traded will the Steeler fall pretty heavily,like they did toward the end of Cordell Steward's time with the Steelers? I thinking Pittsburgh could have a few down seasons before righting the ship again.
I think the short answer is, yes. Now for the longer answer. You can not win the big ones in the NFL without a top notch QB. In my estimation, Bradshaw was our last top notch QB before Ben. O'Donnell resembled one until he blew the Super Bowl, and Kordell Stewart never quite panned out. I am a lifelong Steeler fan, even though I am not in Pgh anymore, and I will never support another NFL team. That said, IF Ben is guilty of this, I say trade him. Get him out of town. It seems the league knows more than the authorities do on this, considering the action they've taken. I've talked to a few guys that I grew up with, two ex college football players, one an ex college baseball player, all of them current Steeler fans, and to a man, they have all said the same thing, "**** him!" I would only qualify this to say that we don't really know what happened in Georgia, Nevada either. As bad as it looks, we just don't know and probably never will.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
I think the short answer is, yes. Now for the longer answer. You can not win the big ones in the NFL without a top notch QB. In my estimation, Bradshaw was our last top notch QB before Ben. O'Donnell resembled one until he blew the Super Bowl, and Kordell Stewart never quite panned out. I am a lifelong Steeler fan, even though I am not in Pgh anymore, and I will never support another NFL team. That said, IF Ben is guilty of this, I say trade him. Get him out of town. It seems the league knows more than the authorities do on this, considering the action they've taken. I've talked to a few guys that I grew up with, two ex college football players, one an ex college baseball player, all of them current Steeler fans, and to a man, they have all said the same thing, "**** him!" I would only qualify this to say that we don't really know what happened in Georgia, Nevada either. As bad as it looks, we just don't know and probably never will.
If he was guilty,I agree to get rid of him but you DEFINITELY DO NOT need an elite QB to win a superbowl. Was Trent Dilfer an elite QB? Obviously not. It just helps to have a better one.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM

1,015 posts, read 3,017,222 times
I'm not a Steelers fan but I do respect the organization and the heritage. I am however a Bills fan and we have a "similar" situation with Marshawn Lynch albeit not the same position.

What I will say however is that if Ben or Marshawn cross the line one more time they should be forever relieved of their duties as a National Football League player.

What an honor it must be to play in the NFL... there are only 32 teams. The highest touted sport in North America. People and families (including this one) plan their weekend around the games.

Sometimes you don't know what you have until you lose it. Yea, its an old cliche' but its a true one. These guys don't realise what they have.

Go Fans of Football!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I'm not a Steelers fan but I do respect the organization and the heritage. I am however a Bills fan and we have a "similar" situation with Marshawn Lynch albeit not the same position.

What I will say however is that if Ben or Marshawn cross the line one more time they should be forever relieved of their duties as a National Football League player.

What an honor it must be to play in the NFL... there are only 32 teams. The highest touted sport in North America. People and families (including this one) plan their weekend around the games.

Sometimes you don't know what you have until you lose it. Yea, its an old cliche' but its a true one. These guys don't realise what they have.

Go Fans of Football!
BRAVO! KUDOS to you!! This was a well said post!! It IS a priviledge to play in the NFL!! These players have got to start learning that lesson! If they can't shape up then SHIP OUT!!! Like I said before...get off my TV screen on Sunday afternoons--I don't pay my cable bill to watch thugs and low lifes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football