U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,702,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip727 View Post
March 29, 1984
Man...
that WAS crappy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,088,811 times
Quote:
March 29, 1984. If you have to ask you don't know football.

Similar to what happened on November 6, 1995. All though Modell did warn Cleveland. Irsay snuck out in the middle of the night. Irsay should have done the right thing and left the Colts name and history behind. There really was no warning, was there?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM

977 posts, read 1,631,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Every Cardinals fan out there knows what 2:37 means.
First thing I said after Fitzgerald scored:

"They left them too much time."

Indeed. I also said after Holmes dropped the first pass in the end zone:

"Fitzgerald would have caught that."

Next pass, game over.

Now how long until they can make it to another Super Bowl? Bills and Cardinals are my top teams...my future looks bleak.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 19,683 times
no1brownsfan, Irsay went before the cameras a month before and swore he was staying in Baltimore and we know what happened next. I don't agree with Modell's move but you are right, at least he told the city that he needed a new stadium and left Cleveland the name and legacy.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,810,358 times
Quote:
no1brownsfan, Irsay went before the cameras a month before and swore he was staying in Baltimore and we know what happened next. I don't agree with Modell's move but you are right, at least he told the city that he needed a new stadium and left Cleveland the name and legacy.
Oh, get real. Modell wasn't that altruistic. He left the colors and records behind because the league made him. He came there first with the intention of making them the Baltimore Browns.

Robert Irsay was a drunk and a bad team owner. But when he was threatened with eminent domain, what was he to do? Thankfully, Jim Irsay isn't like his father.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Oh, get real. Modell wasn't that altruistic. He left the colors and records behind because the league made him. He came there first with the intention of making them the Baltimore Browns.

Robert Irsay was a drunk and a bad team owner. But when he was threatened with eminent domain, what was he to do? Thankfully, Jim Irsay isn't like his father.

Modell wasn't the greatest owner either. He surrounded himself with some questionable people, which is part of the reason that he went broke. In addition, the Browns have some of the most loyal fans in the NFL. He made money hand over fist from the fans, and still went broke. I do think that Modell really wanted to shed the Browns name, as he wanted nothing to do with the name of the team named after the legendary Paul Brown, as they were like oil and water from day one. Which is why he didn't make much of an issue when the NFL told him to leave the Browns name in Cleveland. The city of Cleveland does deserve some blame as well. Cleveland is traditionally a Democratic hot bed. Modell was a staunch Republican, and he and the city clashed a lot. A lot of people also never forgave Modell for coming in and firing Paul Brown either further alienating him. Either way, it was the Browns fans with all their loyalty and passion for their team that got screwed.

There is a book out there called "Fumble" which was written by an insider that worked for Modell's Stadium Corp. It gives a different perspective on the move. It doesn't spread the blame so much, rather than lays out both sides, and let the readers decide.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM

23 posts, read 19,683 times
grmasterb, where did I say Modell was altruistic? Modell made bad investments and expected Cleveland to build him a new stadium for revenue generating. Baltimore had the funds, Al Lerner brokered the deal, with the understanding that HE would get the expansion Cleveland Browns so Modell moved, AFTER giving Cleveland more than 2 years to come up with the funds for a stadium. Funny how the money was there AFTER the city lost the team.

Please show me where I said Modell was altruistic.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
grmasterb, where did I say Modell was altruistic? Modell made bad investments and expected Cleveland to build him a new stadium for revenue generating. Baltimore had the funds, Al Lerner brokered the deal, with the understanding that HE would get the expansion Cleveland Browns so Modell moved, AFTER giving Cleveland more than 2 years to come up with the funds for a stadium. Funny how the money was there AFTER the city lost the team.

Please show me where I said Modell was altruistic.

BINGO! I believe that Al Lerner, because he had a small share in the team wanted to buy it from Modell, but Modell didn't want to sell the team, so he agreed to help Art move the team to Baltimore. This in turn allowed Al Lerner to purchase the exapansion Cleveland Browns. What I don't understand is why there was a falling out between the two if this was already in the works?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:41 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,029,791 times
As a Giants fan it would have to be November 1978, when Joe Pisarcik bobbled a snap to Larry Csonka which ended their playoff hopes after Herm Edwards ran back the fumble for a touchdown to give Philly the win. The Giants were ahead 17-12 with seconds remaining, and Philly had no timeouts. All they had to do was take a knee and the game was won. Instead, Bob Gibson the Giants offensive coach calls a running play for some ungodly reason. The rest is history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or