U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Football Player Ever
Dick Butkus 2 3.28%
Joe Montana 4 6.56%
Walter Payton 6 9.84%
Lawrence Taylor 6 9.84%
Emmit Smith 3 4.92%
Jerry Rice 7 11.48%
Joe Namath 0 0%
Tom Brady 2 3.28%
Troy Polamalu 1 1.64%
John Elway 6 9.84%
Are you kidding me? Neither one of these guys! 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Barry Sanders was the only reason Detroit won games, he didn't have blockers or a quarterback... anyone remember scott mitchell? get out of here.. there is no runningback that will ever come close to barry sanders.
It sounds like you are arguing with me. I was the first one who said he should be on this list!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,857,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Barry Sanders was an extremly entertaining football player, but he could also hurt his team too. I remember he played a playoff game against Green Bay and ended the game with negative rushing yards. This is not something you would expect from the greatest player ever....
He only had 13 carries that day and hardly hurt his team.

FWIW Detroit had the winning TD taken away with less than 2 minutes left in the game because Herman Moore stepped out of the back of the end zone and was ruled ineligible.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 05-24-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,589,174 times
Gotta go with Jerry Rice on this one. The single most dangerous scoring threat in the history of the game and you win games by putting points on the board. For him to do it from the WR position is incredible. Forget about the stats for a minute and just go on ability-ZERO WEAKNESSES. He was fast, taller than most corners, broke tackles, hands like glue, superb route runner, elusive, known for great blocking and was possibly the best conditioned athlete in the game other than his own teammate Roger Craig. Rice was dominant at his position for longer than anybody else has been and across eras. He was easily the best from 86-96, missed 07 and was a top 10 WR from 98-2002. He was great while working with 4 different QB's most of his career (montana, Young, Garcia and Gannon). And of course we cannot forget, he delivered on the big stage 200 yards in one super bowl with an MVP, scored 3 TD's in 2 other superbowls and even in the Superbowl where his team got blown out, he beat the Bucs for a long TD strike down the middle of the field. Simply the best!
Basically he was Michael Jordan on the football field.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Gotta go with Jerry Rice on this one. The single most dangerous scoring threat in the history of the game and you win games by putting points on the board. For him to do it from the WR position is incredible. Forget about the stats for a minute and just go on ability-ZERO WEAKNESSES. He was fast, taller than most corners, broke tackles, hands like glue, superb route runner, elusive, known for great blocking and was possibly the best conditioned athlete in the game other than his own teammate Roger Craig. Rice was dominant at his position for longer than anybody else has been and across eras. He was easily the best from 86-96, missed 07 and was a top 10 WR from 98-2002. He was great while working with 4 different QB's most of his career (montana, Young, Garcia and Gannon). And of course we cannot forget, he delivered on the big stage 200 yards in one super bowl with an MVP, scored 3 TD's in 2 other superbowls and even in the Superbowl where his team got blown out, he beat the Bucs for a long TD strike down the middle of the field. Simply the best!
Basically he was Michael Jordan on the football field.
Very solid choice but no comparison to Michael Jordan. Rice was on a stacked team. If you want to go by his numbers, Steve Largent was close but he was on a crap team without a Montana or Young to throw him the ball. That's why Barry Sanders is much better. He was the only offense for his team so defenses knew they didn't have to guard against the pass and he still put up the numbers. Take away Aikman and Irving, and Emmitt would have been mediocre. Take away San Frans running game and their star QB's and Rice would have been a solid WR with much lesser stats.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 PM

16,532 posts, read 20,997,474 times
Good observation by Lance here. I like Jack's choice though.

Having a supporting cast sure does help to getting to the big game. And that was the reason why the 49'ers won 5 Super Bowls in that 13 year span. They were balanced on offense. And had great players on defense. Bill Walsh came in and in 3 years time won the big cahuna. He knew talent, knew where to get talent, and knew how to get people to play as a unit. He learned the game from one of pro football's key people in its early days, Paul Brown, as he was an assistant under Brown when the Cincinnati Bengals were a young AFL expansion club.

But Jerry Rice was a huge, huge talent. When I played end in school, the two receivers I always admired and felt they were pro footballs best was Raymond Berry and Lance Alworth. Rice was both. He had Berry's hard work ethic, Alworth's cutting ability, Berry's hands, Alworth's blocking ability on downfield blocking situations, Berry's precise route running. He might not have had sprinters speed, but I sure saw him haul as* down the field with a pack of db's after him, and saw it lots of times. And like Alworth and Berry, you could not intimidate him.

With the position of wide receiver, Jerry Rice stands alone. The fact he was still busting butt turning 40 illustrates his drive. But you will see that from a player that comes from a small school like Mississippi Valley State. By 1984 the NFL scouts really took notice of his stats but Bill Walsh knew of him before then, that's for sure.

He's just one hell of a football player, we can all agree there!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-17-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good observation by Lance here. I like Jack's choice though.

Having a supporting cast sure does help to getting to the big game. And that was the reason why the 49'ers won 5 Super Bowls in that 13 year span. They were balanced on offense. And had great players on defense. Bill Walsh came in and in 3 years time won the big cahuna. He knew talent, knew where to get talent, and knew how to get people to play as a unit. He learned the game from one of pro football's key people in its early days, Paul Brown, as he was an assistant under Brown when the Cincinnati Bengals were a young AFL expansion club.

But Jerry Rice was a huge, huge talent. When I played end in school, the two receivers I always admired and felt they were pro footballs best was Raymond Berry and Lance Alworth. Rice was both. He had Berry's hard work ethic, Alworth's cutting ability, Berry's hands, Alworth's blocking ability on downfield blocking situations, Berry's precise route running. He might not have had sprinters speed, but I sure saw him haul as* down the field with a pack of db's after him, and saw it lots of times. And like Alworth and Berry, you could not intimidate him.

With the position of wide receiver, Jerry Rice stands alone. The fact he was still busting butt turning 40 illustrates his drive. But you will see that from a player that comes from a small school like Mississippi Valley State. By 1984 the NFL scouts really took notice of his stats but Bill Walsh knew of him before then, that's for sure.

He's just one hell of a football player, we can all agree there!
Let me apologize. I do think Jerry Rice more than anything is a class act and a star but I just think his stats were elevated by who was around him unlike Barry Sanders. Can you imagine what Sanders stats would have been if he was on Dallas instead of Detroit for all of those years?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 PM

16,532 posts, read 20,997,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Let me apologize. I do think Jerry Rice more than anything is a class act and a star but I just think his stats were elevated by who was around him unlike Barry Sanders. Can you imagine what Sanders stats would have been if he was on Dallas instead of Detroit for all of those years?
Absolutely.

To be succint, Sanders , like John Elway in his first ten years in his career, was basically a one man team.

Eric Hipple, Chuck Long, and Bob Gagliano were Sanders quarterbacks in his early years, and Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer, and Scott Mitchell were his quarterbacks in the later stages of his career. Mitchell was the only quarterback who had pro bowl type stats in his career, throwing for 4388 yards in 1995, which had the Lions at 10-6. The other quarterbacks, to be polite, were average quarterbacks. I guess I don't need to say what a disappointment Andre Ware was.

Here are the Lions stats when Sanders played.

1989 7-9
1990 6-10
1991 12-4
1992 5-11
1993 10-6
1994 9-7
1995 10-6
1996 5-11
1997 9-7
1998 5-11

He was in the league for 10 seasons and rushed for 15,269 yards. Those are awesome stats. He averaged 1527 yards a season for a club that only went to one NFC Championship game (1991), and a couple wild card games in the mid 90's. I cannot come up with any stats off the top of my head regarding their defense through those years, but from the fact book I looked at, they consistently gave up 330 to 350 points per season. Not great, not terrible. But not helping Barry.

The one player that took the pressure off Barry was the emergence of Herman Moore, who logged 123 catches in 1995 (the same year Scott Mitchell went for 4388 yards) and 106 catches in 1996. One would think the cavalry was coming to help Barry as by the time he was getting into his 8th season he was not asking for help, but now was demanding for help. What he got instead was a front office shakeup, with Wayne Fontes being fired and Bobby Ross being hired. By the late 90's (I'm guessing 1999) the Lions hired Matt Millen was hired as GM. QB Scott Mitchell was gone by that time as well, signing with Baltimore the same year.

With the Lions nosediving to 5-11, which was Sanders last season, there was another nosediving going on, and that was calling for Barry's number in the red zone. With the exception of 1991, where Sanders was injured and missed 5 games but still went for 1115 yards on the ground, Sanders was the go to guy when the Lions were near the goal. All of those other seasons Sanders rushed from anywhere from 9 to 16 touchdowns per season. In his last season he rushed for only 4 touchdowns.

At the end of the 1998 season Barry Sanders probably felt he had had enough. What a shame, as I always felt he could have played 3, maybe 4 more seasons. More on Barry later.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-19-2010 at 12:04 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 11:44 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,910,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbylion View Post
(The NFL)

Back up your arguments, please.
Bernie Kosar.

Everyone knows that.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:53 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,898,256 times
I hate comparing players with other players in different positions. I think you should compare players in the same position. Running backs with running backs, QBs with QBs, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM
YAZ

7,078 posts, read 11,858,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
How come Jim Brown didn't make the poll?

My first thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or