U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,925,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I am an ACC guy so I don't have a dog in the fight. But outside of bowl games, did OSU do a lot a travel scince the 50s?

An SEC guy would counter that Georgia wouldn't have to travel out of conference to prove it's worth just being in the SEC and playing GT every year is a challenge. Although that argument is overblown, I see how it could have some relevance in the pre-division SEC.
Ohio State has traveled to NC State, USC, Nebraska, Washington, UCLA, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Colorado, Alabama, Notre Dame, Miami, Pittsburgh, Oregon State, West Virginia in the last 20 years or so. Those are just the ones I can think of without looking it up.

I never bought the SEC argument. Playing in the SEC is no different than playing in any other major conference. If you look at what the SEC teams actually do out of conference instead of what they say they do it really aint all that great. They play the Big Ten and PAC Ten even. Have a slight edge over the ACC and Big 12 and lose to the Big East. The SEC is 4-9 against the Big East since Miami and them left for the ACC. Most of the SEC hype was brought about by ESPN a couple years. It just happened to be when ESPN was working out a contract with them.

I think if Georgia wants to be considered a national power then they should have traveled more. Which they finally started doing. Same with Florida. They should leave the state of Florida once in a while. Tennesse, Auburn, Vandy, Bama and the other SEC travel. So should Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,776,946 times
Ioono, I mean I hate the SEC boot licking that goes on in the media, and ESPN I fear is gonna be worse with it's near monopolization of the games on TV.

Still you have Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn and L.S.U. and Florida (despite not being world beaters, they still seemed over all farily good during the 70-80s). At least 3 of those schools were VERY good each decade during the course of 55-till late 90s. You had some of the most successful coaches there during that time, Dooley, Shug Johnson, Charlie Mac, Johnny Majors, and of course, the Bear.

Until Iowa came up under Hayden Fry, no one in the Big 10 existed outside of OSU and UM.

The Pac 10 I will buy. Despite USC being a beast, they still had to deal with Washington and UCLA, ASU was good for a while too.

(Note, this is my own wiki research. I don't have my college football encyclopedia here at college.)

Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Ioono, I mean I hate the SEC boot licking that goes on in the media, and ESPN I fear is gonna be worse with it's near monopolization of the games on TV.

Still you have Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn and L.S.U. and Florida (despite not being world beaters, they still seemed over all farily good during the 70-80s). At least 3 of those schools were VERY good each decade during the course of 55-till late 90s. You had some of the most successful coaches there during that time, Dooley, Shug Johnson, Charlie Mac, Johnny Majors, and of course, the Bear.

Until Iowa came up under Hayden Fry, no one in the Big 10 existed outside of OSU and UM.

The Pac 10 I will buy. Despite USC being a beast, they still had to deal with Washington and UCLA, ASU was good for a while too.

(Note, this is my own wiki research. I don't have my college football encyclopedia here at college.)
Prior to Iowa under Fry, Minnesota had 6 national titles. Michigan State had 3 and Illinios had 3. Last year the Big Ten became the 2nd conference to beat 4 Top-15 opponents in bowl games (First was Big Ten in 1999). And since the BCS statrted 7 different teams have won Big Ten titles.

The idea that the Big Ten is run by OSU and Michigan has never been true. Except for the 1970s.

Best records in conference play since 2000:
Big 12 Texas 69-13
Big Ten Ohio State 64-16
SEC Florida 64-19
PAC 10 USC 64-19
ACC VaTech 57-21

All these conferences are dominated by any one or two teams at a time. And there is not much difference in OSUs, USCs or Floridas domination of their respective conference. No reason at all to think the SEC is anymore difficult than the Big Ten or the PAC 10.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,869,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
No reason at all to think the SEC is anymore difficult than the Big Ten or the PAC 10.
Heh.

They have won 5 of the last 7 BCS CG with 3 different teams. (2 of which completely anihilated tOSU.)

There are more reasons, this is just the first one that comes to mind.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Heh.

They have won 5 of the last 7 BCS CG with 3 different teams. (2 of which completely anihilated tOSU.)

There are more reasons, this is just the first one that comes to mind.
Well, all those teams weren't playing the same year. Every conference has one or two great teams every year.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well, all those teams weren't playing the same year. Every conference has one or two great teams every year.
I was refuting your claim that UF has "dominated" the SEC. Maybe so but in the last seven years the SEC has also sent two other teams to the BCS CG and WON.

The big 10 has had maybe one great team in the last 15 years.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I was refuting your claim that UF has "dominated" the SEC. Maybe so but in the last seven years the SEC has also sent two other teams to the BCS CG and WON.

The big 10 has had maybe one great team in the last 15 years.
Conference records since 2000:

Big Ten Ohio State 64-16
SEC Florida 64-19
PAC 10 USC 64-19

You can't say the SEC is anymore even than the Big Ten or PAC-10.

If the Big Ten is dominated by OSU and the PAC-10 by USC then it is clear that Florida has dominated the SEC.

As far as the Big Ten having one great team in the last 15 years? LMFAO. That shows you don't bother to watch Big Ten football. Or look at polls. Or know what you're talking about. You're just trolling. Yawn.

Since 2000 the SEC is

16-15 against the Big Ten
9-11 against the PAC-10
10-17 against the Big East

No reason to think the SEC is any better than the Big Ten or PAC 10. It's obviously not as good as the Big East.

10-17. That's impressive. LMFAO.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
As far as the Big Ten having one great team in the last 15 years? LMFAO. That shows you don't bother to watch Big Ten football. Or look at polls. Or know what you're talking about. You're just trolling. Yawn.
Yeah I'm a troll thats been posting for 3 years on CD.

97 UM.

Don't even say that 02 tOSU team was great.

Name another.

Why does the big10 rep almost always get smacked down in the Rose bowl? Sure they beat the ASU, WSU, and UCLAs. BFD. When they play a team from the SEC in a BCS game they get spanked 9 times out 10.

Bro, you are a serious Big10 homer if you think the Big10 is on the same level as the SEC.

This is the football forum right? yep, had to make sure this wasn't the BB forum.

Ask Cinci about that weak SEC conference. LOL.

We can argue all night, fact is most everyone outside of the Ohio valley will agree that the SEC is far Superior in FB than the big 10, given your location, its no surprise that you dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or