U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,337,157 times

Advertisements

Posted by Richmond Police:

Play Ball: Richmond Police, Steelers Team Up for Good Cause

Richmond Police officers will trade their police uniforms for athletic uniforms tomorrow to take on current and former members of the Pittsburgh Steelers football team in a friendly game of softball.

Game time is 1 p.m. Saturday, May 15, at The Diamond. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under and will be available at The Diamond ticket office.

The softball game is part of a series of fundraising activities billed as “Tackling Everyday Life” Celebrity Weekend, hosted by The James Farrior Foundation. Farrior is an inside linebacker for the Steelers and started the foundation to offer a variety of enrichment programs for young people, including academic scholarships, mentoring opportunities and sports camps.

Chief Bryan T. Norwood will, of course, be the head coach for the Richmond Police team, whose roster features Assistant Chief Dave McCoy and those in the ranks from patrol officers to majors.

Farrior has put together a team of Steelers including Lamaar Woodley, Larry Foote, James Harrison, Jerome Bettis, Casey Hampton, Max Starks, Chris Keomatu, Heath Miller, Ryan Clark, Ike Taylor and Willie Parker. An autograph session with the pro ballers for game attendees will be held after the softball game.

Major Sydney Collier, an avid Steelers fan, worked with the Farrior Foundation to put the game together. “The Farrior Foundation is about community and youths and Richmond Police is about community policing. The two entities working together on this cause is a natural fit,” Collier said. “I’ll just have to root for both teams. Fortunately, with a charity game like this, everyone wins.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,182,754 times
I wish I could be there! Jerome Bettis is just the BOMB! I love that guy!! Such a great role model too. I wish more NFL players would take after him!

I wonder if THE CHIN (Cowher) will attend??? He doesn't live far from Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football