Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes a lot of them come from those states, but don't forget Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania! These 3 states represent pretty well regarding sending players to the NFL.

A lot of hall of famers from those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
A lot of hall of famers from those states.
Yep! Plus one!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
Seriously?! Of all northern states to choose from and its New York... I dont like it

Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
I love this idea. A SB in NJ!!!

Can't wait to see all of those "fans" freezing their butts off. Guess they won't have to worry about a wardrobe malfunction during the halftime show. Whoever performs will be in a snow suit.

Wouldn't want to be anywhere near Manhattan that week.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
My grampa reminded me that back in the day, before expansion, football was synonymous with cold weather. Should prove fun to watch on TV, especially if there is snow.
In a way, the NFL/pro football is starting to come full circle. One of the main reasons why the Super Bowl was played at a warmer weather neutral site when it was created (besides the fact it was the NFL vs AFL, two separate leagues where you couldn't determine who should have home-field advantage) was that football fields in cold weather sites would get chewed up terrible late in the season in the days before artificial turf and fiber-enhanced grass. The first Super Bowl (January 1967) was played in an era when championship games had recently been played at Green Bay's Lambeau Field, Cleveland's Municipal Stadium, and Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium. The people who led the NFL and AFL didn't want a showcase event like the world championship game (i.e. Super Bowl) undermined or lessened by a poor quality field. Playing in a warmer weather site meant the field would almost definitely be in better shape at the end of the season; the fact the weather was warm at the site was a lesser, secondary factor. But now with high quality synthetic turf that is actually better than grass and enhanced grass fields that hold up better than regular grass fields, the field quality issue is either non-existent or much less. Poor weather might affect a game at a cold weather Super Bowl site, but a poor quality field will not.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Giants and Jets management must have gotten on their knees and swallowed too.
I go to the Meadowlands all the time
-It's in the middle of nowhere
-It's freezing cold in Febuary (plus there's a strong wind 24/7/365)
-It's basically surrounded by swamps
-To say the traffic patterns there are retarded would be putting it nicely (went to a preseason game there with about 20K fans and it took me 2 hours just to get out of East Rutherford)
-It's about a 45 minute drive from New York
-The closest major city is Newark
-No mass transit goes there directly from NYC

And that's just off the top of my head

Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Giants and Jets management must have gotten on their knees and swallowed too.
I go to the Meadowlands all the time
-It's in the middle of nowhere
-It's freezing cold in Febuary (plus there's a strong wind 24/7/365)
-It's basically surrounded by swamps
-To say the traffic patterns there are retarded would be putting it nicely (went to a preseason game there with about 20K fans and it took me 2 hours just to get out of East Rutherford)
-It's about a 45 minute drive from New York
-The closest major city is Newark
-No mass transit goes there directly from NYC

And that's just off the top of my head

A couple things you stated here are not true. The Meadowlands are not closer to Newark than New York. Newark is about 10 and a half miles from the stadium while Manhattan is between 7and 8 miles away. Second, there technically is direct transportation from NYC to the stadium, NJ transit buses. If you mean there is no direct MTA buses or trains then okay, but there is direct transportation. It's freezing cold everywhere in the Northeast in February and the winds are strong almost everywhere in the country in the winter.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM

23 posts, read 22,132 times
I think the superbowl should be rotated among ALL 32 cities. Let every city in the NFL enjoy the superbowl experience. And if the NFL doesn't like that idea then designate a "superbowl" city and hold the superbowl there every year.

Just one man's opinion

Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
True... Make it one city or let everyone host it

Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Yep....Jersey will have to pay for the massive security and NY will reap the benefits of people coming in as there isn't a dam thing of interest outside the stadium.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football