U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all teams alternate every year, so all teams get a super bowl at their home stadium?
Yes 21 65.63%
No 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 10:45 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,188,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Why not Vegas?
They need a team first otherwise they could just put in Hawaii like the pro bowl.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 PM

14,583 posts, read 22,426,770 times
I don't think I'm understanding your question.

Do you mean to ask, "Do you think all 'stadiums' should be on rotation for the superbowl?"

Just because a stadium/city is hosting a superbowl doesn't mean their respective team (if they even have one) is gonna make it to that game.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,813,793 times
I think every Superbowl should be played in Miami. Who doesn't want to party on south beach for a week.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,102,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't think I'm understanding your question.

Do you mean to ask, "Do you think all 'stadiums' should be on rotation for the superbowl?"

Just because a stadium/city is hosting a superbowl doesn't mean their respective team (if they even have one) is gonna make it to that game.

I don't think that was the op's point. The point is should every city that has a team get the chance to host the super bowl. It isn't as much about the teams as it is about the cities themselves.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,436,372 times
Absolutely not, but I'm probably biased.

These cities should rotate it:
New Orleans (probably should just have it every year)
LA
PHX
Miami
rotate between Tampa/San Diego/another city (maybe Minneapolis again)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I don't think that was the op's point. The point is should every city that has a team get the chance to host the super bowl. It isn't as much about the teams as it is about the cities themselves.
This is exactly it. It's not about the teams. Every year a different place until they've gone through all teams then start again. Only the team owners should be able to pass on hosting. It generates a ton of money for the hosting city and obviously would be a boost to any local economy. Why should a fair weather place host it every year? Do we really think the super bowl wont sell out? Of course it will. Then you have the shirt vendors, food vendors, local hotels and motels, restaurants, car rental. If this isn't a boost to the economy, I don't know what is!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,102,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Absolutely not, but I'm probably biased.

These cities should rotate it:
New Orleans (probably should just have it every year)
LA
PHX
Miami
rotate between Tampa/San Diego/another city (maybe Minneapolis again)

Why do you feel that way? I'm really curious. New Orleans is still a city in shambles, LA, okay this gotta be a joke, LA is just not a good football city and they don't have a team nor can they keep one so why should they get rewarded with a super bowl? I'm sick of seeing Miami and Tampa hosting super bowls, and the only reason why Tampa is even brought up is because of the weather and the ocean other than that it doesn't have much to offer. San Diego is okay. Phoenix technically doesn't have a team and their fan base is really weak anyway. Why does nobody want to reward the dedicated football cities and fans? If the super bowl was hosted by Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Boston(New England), Chicago, Green Bay, or Washington that city's fans could fill up the super bowl itself. None of the Cities you mentioned are real football cities, they are all very "fair weather" football fans, why should they be rewarded? Those cities aren't even be on the NFL. And when I talk about fans I don't mean just fans of their teams, but fans of the sport and league as a whole.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM

122 posts, read 261,804 times
First of all, the politics of the NFL would never allow it; secondly, as mentioned above, not every dedicated football city could house such an event, nor would its fair-weather fans seriously support it; thirdly, even though New Jersey (?) was just awarded a Super Bowl, warm weather really should be the priority in order to provide the fans with a true vacation experience.

However, it doesn't always need to be in Florida, so perhaps Phoenix and other warm-weather cities need to get a look more than just once - because ultimately, the state, region, and its true fans are the winners economically.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
First of all, the politics of the NFL would never allow it; secondly, as mentioned above, not every dedicated football city could house such an event, nor would its fair-weather fans seriously support it; thirdly, even though New Jersey (?) was just awarded a Super Bowl, warm weather really should be the priority in order to provide the fans with a true vacation experience.

However, it doesn't always need to be in Florida, so perhaps Phoenix and other warm-weather cities need to get a look more than just once - because ultimately, the state, region, and its true fans are the winners economically.
I don't know what you are talking about. Do you really think that even if it was 10 degrees out that the game wouldn't sell out? Other leagues share tax revenue with the small teams when they go over the cap because those teams aren't generating enough money. So why should the fair weather states be capitalizing on all this super bowl income? Should a team like New England or Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St.Louis, or any other team have to be excluded based on geography and weather? Absolutely not. This would significantly help a local economy and because of that one factor alone should make it so. Otherwise it should be at a neutral site where no NFL team plays in that state like the pro bowl.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The team with the better record should host it. Baseball, basketball and hockey don't use a neutral site. The NFL has given into corporate demands and made it so the SB is some Mardi Gras free for all holliday whose quality of commercials and halftime shows is more important than who wins. I won't even watch it unless my team is in it or I'm gambling on it.
Planning a Super Bowl takes several years. Giving it to the team with the best winner only gives them 2 weeks to plan the event, not going to happen. The SB will always be on a neutral field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football