Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Coleman Instant 14- by 10- Foot 8- Person Two Room Tent

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

There are a couple of reasons we were drawn to purchasing this tent. First of all, my husband and I are both fairly tall, as are a few of our friends, and the center height of this tent is 6'5", which is just huge compared to many other tents. Also, the set-up is just unbelievably easy. It took less than 5 minutes to set it up. I love that it has a room divider because if we go with just one other couple and share a tent it is nice, and also some day when we have kids it will be nice to have "separate" tents. The huge windows were also a plus. My husband was slightly skeptical about having such large windows in the event of rain but it did rain one night, quite hard, and we stayed dry as a bone.

We go camping a few times a year with groups of friends and the most people we have had in this one is 6 adults. We were comfortable and there was room to fit our 3 queen sized air mattresses. I am fairly confident that it would fit a fourth if we decided to try to fit 8 of us in there, though I think 8 adults would be a little cramped.

There are only 3 drawbacks that I can think of and they aren't even significant enough to lower my rating. First of all, this is not a tent that you should take with you hiking, it is quite heavy. But if you are just going camping for a few nights and will be carrying it in a car, not on your back, you will be just fine. Also the tent stakes that come with the tent are kind of weak so I suggest purchasing some heavy duty stakes just incase you run into some mighty winds. Finally, there is no vent at the top of the tent so it tends to get quite warm in there, even with the windows open.

Overall I could not be happier with this tent. It is exactly what we were looking for, it is nice and roomy, it looks nice, it does not leak, and it fit 6 adults, 3 queen sized air mattresses, and all of our belongings just fine. I would imagine that for those with kids it would really be perfect. The best part is the price is right. I expected to spend well over $200 for such a substantial tent but we got this one for $140. I am always impressed with Coleman gear and they definitely did not let me down this time.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews