U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,525,773 times

Advertisements

Generac 5802 Portable Generator 10,000 Rated Watts

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I am familiar with Generac generators because this is the second one I have owned. The first one was much smaller, but gave me good service until someone stole it. The 5802 is an easy to navigate generator if you can keep it on smooth level ground and it is well balanced with the fold out handles. You will need help loading and unloading the unit from a truck.

This unit has been used primarily on construction sites that are not within easy access to electrical service. I have run the unit non-stop for five hours or longer many times without a hitch. It has a top output of 12,500 watts, which I have never approached in the construction business.

The electric start is a really good feature, but the generator has cranked easily most of the time. On some cold mornings, it has been a little slow to kick off, but no more than most combustible engines would experience.

The worst part of this generator isn't with the equipment, but with the instruction manual. It is not clear and doesn't have enough pictures to help you understand what parts you are reading about. For an experienced mechanic, I am sure it gives enough information, it's just not designed for someone who will only use the generator in emergency situations.

If you are using this generator to drive four or five pieces of equipment, you should have no problems, and you could run several circuits at home during an electrical outage. I have never ran it until it completely ran out of fuel, so I'm not sure how many hours you might expect to get on a full tank.

This is as good a generator as I have ever used and I give it a full five stars on dependability and ease of use.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews