Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Wüsthof 8518Grand Prix II 8-Piece Knife Set with Block

wusthof-8518grand-prix-ii-8-piece-knife-set-with-block photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

As a cook and the executive chef in a (small) catering company, I can tell you that great knives are the most important kitchen tool. It saves time, money, frustrations, and entire meals when you invest in good knives. Wusthof has been making knives like this for as long as they've been making knives. The Grand Prix series is especially lovely.

Though I own a catering company, I bought his particular set of knives for my personal use. I love that this knife block comes with a honing steel. I can't see buying great knives without a decent sharpener and a place to keep it that keeps it from sloshing around somewhere in a utensil drawer. These knives keep their edge for a long time, so don't need a lot of sharpening, but it pays to keep knives in great condition.

The balance is almost perfect, the grip is great, exactly what you'd expect from this company. Unlike less expensive knives, these qualities keep the hand from being fatigued. The weight and the blade really do the work as long as you use the knives properly. It makes chopping a joy.

The only thing I would say about it is to be sure you plan to add to your knife collection before buying this product. Though the set comes with eight knives, the block comes with seventeen slots for knives. I recommend the steak knives for the front slots. Be creative with the others. If you love to cook and plan to buy more in this line, you will be glad of the extra slots. However, if you have more modest needs, get one of the smaller sets that come with only the the slots for the knives included in the product. It's a great "starter set" to give as a gift or to buy for yourself when you're starting to seriously cook.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews